Steve IA

Default TV Remote Control

If this is not the appropriate group, please direct me to a better.

My old RCA TV bit the dust this morning. I found a magnavox 27MS3404R on
sale and bought it. I got it home and hooked up ok, only to find that
the remote provided is for the TV only, and will not control the
satellite box or vcr or nothing else. I tried to reprogram the RCA
remote, but I can get only about 1/2 the functions to work. i.e. it will
turn the tv off, but not on, the setup menu will appear, but I can't
arrow to the options, etc. I've tried dozens of code numbers from every
website and documentation I can find. Only one code does anything, and
that is the limited functions described above.
I've decided I probably need to get a *GOOD* universal remote to control
these things, and I don't want to spend a lot of money. Any suggestions
apprectiated. Thank you.
Steve
41N
G. Morgan

Subject: TV Remote Control
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Steve IA = wrote:

If this is not the appropriate group, please direct me to a better.

My old RCA TV bit the dust this morning. I found a magnavox 27MS3404R on
sale and bought it. I got it home and hooked up ok, only to find that
the remote provided is for the TV only, and will not control the
satellite box or vcr or nothing else. I tried to reprogram the RCA
remote, but I can get only about 1/2 the functions to work. i.e. it will
turn the tv off, but not on, the setup menu will appear, but I can't
arrow to the options, etc. I've tried dozens of code numbers from every
website and documentation I can find. Only one code does anything, and
that is the limited functions described above.
I've decided I probably need to get a *GOOD* universal remote to control
these things, and I don't want to spend a lot of money. Any suggestions
apprectiated. Thank you.

cross-post deleted

Didn't your satellite box come with a universal remote?

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email
Steve IA

"G. Morgan" wrote:

Didn't your satellite box come with a universal remote?

--

-Graham

Yes, it was an RCA and literally wore out about a year ago.
Steve
jtees4

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:53:21 -0600, Steve IA wrote:

[...]

I would suggest a new remote, no need to spend much. Keep the
packaging and return it if it does not cure the problem.

*-------------------------------*
NEVER FORGET!!!
http://cf1.newsday.infi.net/911/vict...me.cfm?id=2105
Travis Jordan

Steve IA wrote:
I've decided I probably need to get a *GOOD* universal remote to
control these things, and I don't want to spend a lot of money. Any
suggestions apprectiated. Thank you.

No problemo. I like this one for the application you described.

http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/45.htm

About $25

Travis Jordan

G. Morgan wrote:
Here is a website that is sure to have a replacement.

http://www.electronicadventure.us/

Be sure to check pricing if you decide on a universal remote. These
guys are expensive!

Rich

"Steve IA" wrote in message
[...]

Go here and wear out your mouse finding what you want! I have a Sony that
does everything I need!

http://www.remotecentral.com/

Rich

Ross Mac

"Steve IA" wrote in message
[...]

Might I recommend sci.electronics.repair ....there are a bunch of guys out
there with huge experience in the consumer electronics biz....maybe they
could be of assistance...good luck, Ross

xrongor

go to the clicker picker at remote central.

it lets you answer some questions about what features you need, and tells
you which ones will work.

then you can go through the reviews and decide which one you like.

randy

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
Steve IA wrote:
I've decided I probably need to get a *GOOD* universal remote to
control these things, and I don't want to spend a lot of money. Any
suggestions apprectiated. Thank you.

No problemo. I like this one for the application you described.

http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/45.htm

About $25

Joseph Meehan

Steve IA wrote:

I bought a little Magnavox - Philips job. Cost about $30.00 it is an 7
or 8 way design and I love it. It has outlasted two original remotes and
has done everything I have wanted. It is not complex and it is well thought
out in design.

[...]

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Steve IA

Travis Jordan wrote:

Steve IA wrote:
I've decided I probably need to get a *GOOD* universal remote to
control these things, and I don't want to spend a lot of money. Any
suggestions apprectiated. Thank you.

No problemo. I like this one for the application you described.

http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/45.htm

About $25

Ok, thanks to all for the suggestions.
I have a Magnavox TV and a RCA sat tuner which are primarily the units I
want to control with 1 remote. Would it be advantageous to aim for one
of those manufacturers when looking for a universal remote? Would a
magnavox remote give me a better chance of controlling all the tv
functions (off/on, volume, channel, picture menu etc) as well as the
fewer on the sat tuner (off/on/menu/channel). Thanks
Steve
Travis Jordan

Steve IA wrote:
I have a Magnavox TV and a RCA sat tuner which are primarily the
units I want to control with 1 remote. Would it be advantageous to
aim for one of those manufacturers when looking for a universal
remote? Would a magnavox remote give me a better chance of
controlling all the tv functions (off/on, volume, channel, picture
menu etc) as well as the fewer on the sat tuner
(off/on/menu/channel). Thanks

Since you still have both original remotes, just be sure to buy a
"learning" remote and you can always program any missing features (from
either the TV or sat tuner) into the new remote control. That is why I
recommended the Sony RM-VL700. I've got two of them and they have been
perfect for my use.

http://www.remotecentral.com/vl700/index.html

This one is available in silver or black, your choice: (note: I'm not
recommending this site, just showing you that it comes in both colors).
http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/it...item_id=105561

Hope this helps.

Philip Lewis

Steve IA writes:
I have a Magnavox TV and a RCA sat tuner which are primarily the units I
want to control with 1 remote. Would it be advantageous to aim for one

I really love my cinema 7 one-for-all remote.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+7+one-for-all

It should be able to do anything you need, and i think it is JP1
compatible.

--
be safe.
flip

Steve IA

Thanks to all that offered opinions. I went shopping today and the 1st
place I went was to Radio Shack that is run by the owner, here in my
small town. I told him my problems as stated previously. He offered me
a RCA remote that was sold as a replacement remote for the old Satellite
system I have. (I'd ask there a year ago and the guys wife told me they
were no longer available. ) It was preprogrammed for the dish tuner and
was easily programmed for the TV *and* the VCR (which I'd never been
able to do before). For less than $20 I got a new remote that does what
I need. If it hadn't worked, he would have taken it back. The point is,
a knowledgeable salesman whose livelihood depends on his customers is
worth a lot. Thanks again to all who helped.

Steve
41N
Matt

T=ADhe point is, a knowledgeable salesman whose livelihood depends on
his cus=ADtomers is
worth a lot.

Which is something I havn't seen in a radio shack for about 30 years.
Consider yourself lucky!

G. Morgan

Subject: TV Remote Control Followup
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Matt = wrote:

Which is something I havn't seen in a radio shack for about 30 years.
Consider yourself lucky!

Radio Shack: You've got questions, we've got, huh?

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

Choosing a HOT WATER RECIRCULATOR for QUICK HOT WATER DELIVERY or for HOT WATER ON D'MAND is now a whole lot easier. [email protected] Home Repair 22 June 7th 06 01:09 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Viesmann MC remote control pascal pirotte Electronics Repair 1 September 30th 04 02:08 PM
Sears Craftsman Garage Door Opener Remote Control FYI SpongeBob SquarePants Rules! Home Repair 0 March 22nd 04 03:41 AM
TV Remote Control rubber pad(UR50CT1071) used in remote control for Panasonic TV Model TX-29GF10X Steve Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 03 02:27 PM