Stormin Mormon

Default Flashlight Test

Just got my box from Harbor Freight ( www.harborfreight.com ) and it
contained my 2 AA cell miniature flash light. Catalog number 3852-8JMA,
costing $1.99 for the flash light. Incidentally, there was shipping costs on
the order.

And here is what I found....

The light is 6 3/4 inches over all. Slightly longer than a mini mag which is
5 3/4. This is a concern. A mini mag fits nicely in my bathrobe pocket. And
also in my front pants pocket. The inch longer light would not fit in either
of these pockets.

The batteries supplied were the cheapie carbon cells. Panasonic. Good brand,
though.

The brand of light is "Gordon" which I've not heard of that brand. There is
a sticker which instructs me to always wear safety glasses. It further
instructs me not to remove the sticker. Wonder if the same folks that
arrested me for removing my tag from my matress would get me if I removed
this sticker? I don't want to find out, the Department of Matress Tags guys
sure play rough.

The on off switch is a push button on the side. The light turns on when I
lift my thumb off the button, so it does not have "instant on" or momentary
contact.

The lens is adjustable, spot to flood. The lens is round, so it doesn't have
the 8 sided "won't roll off the table" design.

The bulb appears to be the same bi-pin bulb which is used by Mini-Mag. I
didn't see if they are interchangable, but very likely are.

The tail cap did contain a spare bulb. I pounded and whacked the tail cap,
and could not get the bulb out. I needed a mini pair of needle nose pliers
to get the bulb out. I did not try my Leatherman pliers -- they might be
too big.

They did provide a nylon belt case for the light. The belt case appears to
be the same design as the Mini Mag case, it seems a bit short for the Gordon
light. Makes me wonder if the light would fall out easily. I've got enough
stuff on my belt already, didn't try it.

be fairly well made, and should provide at least two dollars worth of
service. I would reccomend using alkaline batteries. The provided carbon
batteries can be used for TV remote, or other low drain application.

The filament bulb should be EMP safe, if you are concerned about having a
light after a nuclear explosion.

I'm going to put a couple of these lights in my glove compartments, tool
boxes, etc.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

G. Morgan

Subject: Flashlight Test
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Stormin Mormon = wrote:

And here is what I found....

Who gives a ****?

Really dood.... You wrote an essay about a lousy 2 dollar flashlight.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Travis Jordan

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Just got my box from Harbor Freight ( www.harborfreight.com ) and it
contained my 2 AA cell miniature flash light. Catalog number
3852-8JMA, costing $1.99 for the flash light. Incidentally, there was
shipping costs on the order.

/snip/

Thanks for the review - will pick up a couple next time I'm at HF.

Joseph Meehan

Do you really want to put carbon batteries in your $35.00 TV remote and
have them leak or that $2.00 flashlight?

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
[...]

Sam O'Nella

And here is what I found....

Finally a reason to go on living. Thanks for saving my life today.

HeatMan

The test you need for your flash light is to put it to your ear in a dark
room.

If you see light coming out the other side, there's a problem.

A lot of that problem is in your sig file...

[...]

Tony Hwang

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I am done with bulbs. Time for LED flash lights.
Tony
Ross Mac

[...]

Can you spell T R O L L ?????

effi

with led flashlights in existence now, regular flashlights are obsolete due
to their high usage of batteries, no wonder they're being given away

for example, this led flashlight takes 2 aa batteries and
"This light provide up to 20 times longer battery life than standard
flashlights. LED bulbs last up to 100,000 hours (over 11 years) of
continuous use with change of batteries. Constructed of tough ABS plastic
with rubber grips. Water and shock proof!"
http://www.eangler.com/webapp/wcs/st...atalogId=10051

a small pocket size lithium battery operated led flashlight
http://www.photonlight.com/index.html?1024

were you aware the end user (consumer) can legally remove the tags from
mattresses? grounds for false arrest?

[...]

G. Morgan

Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= effi = wrote:

were you aware the my suckin meath

ohhhh, realllllyyyy???

Another idiot to add to the BOZO bin......
--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

effi

illiterate

PLONK !

"G. Morgan" wrote in message

were you aware the my suckin meath

G. Morgan

Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= effi = wrote:

illiterate men make joy jelly in my mouth for pleasure

Quit emiling me. I'll call the cops, you sick ****.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Buck Turgidson

Can't wait for your write-up of Walgreen Deluxe Fingernail Clippers.

Stormin Mormon

It's obvious to me that we have different interests. I sure hope you enjoy
your life as much as I enjoy mine.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Stormin Mormon = wrote:

And here is what I found....

Who gives a ****?

Really dood.... You wrote an essay about a lousy 2 dollar flashlight.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Stormin Mormon

Tomorrow I do a review of Q-tips and other brands of cotton swabs. Lets see
where I put that file......

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sam O'Nella" wrote in message
And here is what I found....

Finally a reason to go on living. Thanks for saving my life today.

Stormin Mormon

They opened a HF outlet store about 30 mintues drive from me, and I've
enjoyed shopping there. Nice to get HF stuff cash and carry.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
news /snip/

Thanks for the review - will pick up a couple next time I'm at HF.

Gideon

Stormin,

Thanks for the review. It was a bit off topic in a home repair group, but I'd
certain rather read a review about a Harbor Freight bargain than to read the
9,000th admonition from some HVAC guy telling us we are all too stupid to fix
our own furnaces and AC units.

What I really don't understand is why people bother to read a thread titled
"Flashlight Test" if they don't want to read about a flashlight test and they
are going to whine and moan after reading it.

Regarding Harbor Freight (and Homier Tools and Cummins Tools, etc.) - there is
certainly some junk, but there are a lot of great bargain tools. Especially
the tools which we amateurs use somewhat infrequently. I've spent a lot of
money with these bargain tool companies and my satisfaction level has been at
least 95%. And when I'm not satisfied with a purchase, they always give me a
refund.

I'll going to a Harbor Freight retail store today and I'll check out the
flashlights if they have them. Of course, I do agree that LED lights are
the preferred tool.

Gideon

================================

[...]

Tekkie

Ross Mac posted for all of us....

[...]

Nah Ross, the Stumped Moron isn't a troll; just an idiot, hack, HVAC,
locksmith wannabe.
--
Tekkie
Ross Mac

"Tekkie" wrote in message
t...
Ross Mac posted for all of us....

[...]

Wow....a left hook and an upper cut!..... :) ...Ross

m Ransley

Stormin , Id like a test on the Vegamatic or Popiel Pocket Fisherman or
the Clapper #2

Get you own site "Tests by Stormin" get advertising , get rich.

Stormin Mormon

Like you say, it's a bit off topic. Ah, well. At the HF store near me, the
flash lights are in the glass case, at the cash register.

Hope you get some bargains. Let us know what you got, and if you like it. We
can keep this conversation way off topic....

(Incidentally, dunno if you noticed, I *AM* a heating guy..... but I try
never to be insulting.)

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Gideon" wrote in message
[...]

Stormin Mormon

..............Stormin staggers, steps back three steps, shakes his head.....
and clicks send.......

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ross Mac" wrote in message

Nah Ross, the Stumped Moron isn't a troll; just an idiot, hack, HVAC,
locksmith wannabe.
--
Tekkie

Wow....a left hook and an upper cut!..... :) ...Ross

Gideon

Stormin Mormon wrote
Incidentally, dunno if you noticed, I *AM* a heating guy
..... but I try never to be insulting.

Yes - I have noticed that you are a heating guy and I've notice
that you come out here to be helpful rather than smug.

It is appreciated.

I'm a computer guy. People corner me at parties and other get-
togethers and pump me for free advice. Others phone me in the
middle of my work day and I talk them through a problem over
the phone for free. I seldom resent it and I take pleasure in helping
somebody solve a problem himself. I'm still going to make a living
even if some segment of society can fix their own computer problems
or write their own computer code. I'm just not that insecure in my
skills or my career.

I still haven't figured out why HVAC folks seem to be so particularly
touchy and caustic. My auto mechanic doesn't resent the fact that
I do 90% of my car repairs myself. He appreciates the fact that he's
still getting 10% of my work plus the many referrals that I send his
way.

Tekkie

Gideon posted for all of us....

Stormin Mormon wrote
Incidentally, dunno if you noticed, I *AM* a heating guy
..... but I try never to be insulting.

Yes - I have noticed that you are a heating guy and I've notice
that you come out here to be helpful rather than smug.

He gives one that "impression" but he is a hack! He won't learn, he gives
out dangerous advice and shows NO signs of improvement in spite of coddling
by more knowledgeable people who have given up in frustration.

He also claims to be a locksmith but busts door jambs and takes money off
drunks - by his OWN admission!

It is appreciated.

Not by anyone that has the least bit of common sense, knowledge of topics in
which he "claims" to know about or cares about their family's safety.

I'm a computer guy. People corner me at parties and other get-
togethers and pump me for free advice. Others phone me in the
middle of my work day and I talk them through a problem over
the phone for free. I seldom resent it and I take pleasure in helping
somebody solve a problem himself. I'm still going to make a living
even if some segment of society can fix their own computer problems
or write their own computer code. I'm just not that insecure in my
skills or my career.

Big deal; you smoke a power supply and people won't die.

I still haven't figured out why HVAC folks seem to be so particularly
touchy and caustic. My auto mechanic doesn't resent the fact that
I do 90% of my car repairs myself. He appreciates the fact that he's
still getting 10% of my work plus the many referrals that I send his
way.

Most of the HVAC people will give an answer here if the question hasn't
been asked 5 bizallion times before, nobody does any research anymore...

Your auto mechanic can see what your abilities are, can't see HVAC over the
net. Would you tell some person who you have no idea of their abilities how
to diagnose and repair a complex brake repair over the net?

--
Tekkie
Gideon

Tekkie wrote
He gives one that "impression" but he is a hack!

Tekkie,

I apologize if Stormin is a hack and I missed it. When it comes
to HVAC, I really have one major list in my mind - jerks vs nonjerks.
I've got a non-trivial knowledge of HVAC, I have family members in
the trade (some good, some so-so), and I have some amateur
friends who are extremely knowledgable. So I'm not really looking
for HVAC advice, I'm mostly noticing the jerks. Stormin isn't a jerk.
That was my point. I'll have to pay more attention and decide on
my own about the value of his advice.

Gideon

Stormin Mormon

Good computer guys are hard to find. It is a pleasure to make your
aquaintance.

Ah, well. Sometimes I turn away work, and somtimes it finds me anyhow.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Gideon" wrote in message

Stormin Mormon wrote
[...]

Gideon

Tekkie wrote
Would you tell some person who you have no idea of their abilities how
to diagnose and repair a complex brake repair over the net?

===================

Nope. But I wouldn't treat him as an idiot just because he may not
have the experience or the training which I have. I've done my own
brake work for over 40 years and I've never hired anybody to do the
work for me. And I've NEVER done a bad brake job. I've also offered
advice to anybody who wants to do their own brake work. If they
appear incompetent, then I advise them to farm out the work. If they
appear reasonably competent, then I offer them my tools, books,
advice and assistance. I enjoy helping people; you appear to
enjoy acting like a smug asshole. To each his own.

Gideon

Gideon

Stormin,

Maybe I'm a sap, but I've been on this earth a fair number of years and I've
learned to prioritize my criteria. When I hire somebody, the first thing that
I'm looking for is somebody who is honest and truthful. Do I really want
Albert Einstein if I determine that his primary motive is to rape me? Nope!

Once again, you come across as somebody who is sincere in his desire to help
people and who will admit his limitations. That's all I expect from Usenet.

Thanks,
Gideon

Stormin Mormon wrote in message ...
Good computer guys are hard to find. It is a pleasure to make your
aquaintance.

Ah, well. Sometimes I turn away work, and somtimes it finds me anyhow.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"Gideon" wrote in message

Stormin Mormon wrote
[...]

Tekkie

Gideon posted for all of us....

you appear to
enjoy acting like a smug asshole. To each his own.

Fine, that's what you think, you smug asshole. I don't give out deadly,
ignorant advice and admit I screw people on the Internet.
--
Tekkie

Repair Service for Test & Measurement Equipment luaurence Electronics Repair 0 September 17th 04 04:31 AM
Repair Service for Test & Measurement Equipment luaurence Electronics Repair 0 September 12th 04 08:01 AM
Mac PB 5300 & start-up test? Dbowey Electronics Repair 0 May 20th 04 09:06 PM
test for Jimbo dale Metalworking 3 November 13th 03 05:52 PM
Possible Condensation Solution? - Test Data Tom Watson Woodworking 4 November 7th 03 08:51 PM