Duane Bozarth

Default Snoblower belt slipping

Ignoramus7928 wrote:

This is an old belt. Could it lengthen due to time etc? Would
replacing it with a new belt make any sense?

The belts I thought would fit, are of wrong size unfortunately. Are
they available at auto stores?

I need something like 1/2" by 36" V belt.

Yes, belts stretch (and, having stretched glaze) w/ time...

The owner's manual will provide the correct size (both cross section and
length) although unless the present ones are badly deteriorated you
should be able to read the size code off the belt. Any decent-sized
auto supply should be able to match it, assuming it isn't some special
cross section...
Harry K

You can also keep a slipping belt in service for awhile longer. Spray
it with "belt dressing". Comes in a can and I keep one in my garage.
Berend there for over 20 years but has been used several times over the
years.

Harry K

SJF

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Ignoramus7928 wrote:

This is an old belt. Could it lengthen due to time etc? Would
replacing it with a new belt make any sense?

The belts I thought would fit, are of wrong size unfortunately. Are
they available at auto stores?

I need something like 1/2" by 36" V belt.

Yes, belts stretch (and, having stretched glaze) w/ time...

The owner's manual will provide the correct size (both cross section and
length) although unless the present ones are badly deteriorated you
should be able to read the size code off the belt. Any decent-sized
auto supply should be able to match it, assuming it isn't some special
cross section...

For my lawn mower drive belt, I was told by an experienced repair man, to be
sure the belt is "power rated". One of two auto supply stores was unable to
meet this specification. I presume some belts are made for light duty, like
fans, and should be avoided.

willshak

On 1/6/2005 11:27 AM US(ET), Ignoramus7928 took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

I called our Napa auto parts, they do have 1/2" belts. I will start
with that one.

I looked for a long belt for a tractor mounted snowblower a couple of
years ago. I inquired at an authorized service for the belt. They did
not have on on hand, and cross referenced it with a Gates belt that I
could pick up at an automotive store a few miles away. They gave me the
part number and told me that the belt would be green cloth covered.
Don't know if the green cloth made any more difference than the usual
black clothed belts. I did get the green one.

--
Bill
Edwin Pawlowski

"Ignoramus7928" wrote in message

It now works better, but not as well as it could, throwing snow maybe
8 feet instead of like 20.

Sounds like the prostate is going.

Pop

Ignoramus7928 wrote:
On 6 Jan 2005 08:32:21 -0800, Harry K

wrote:
You can also keep a slipping belt in service for awhile
longer.
Spray it with "belt dressing". Comes in a can and I keep one
in my
garage. Berend there for over 20 years but has been used
several
times over the years.

Thanks, an awesome suggestion. I will probably use both new
belts and
the dressing. Napa also has it, Ijust called them.

CAUTION: There are different types of "belt dressing"s
available. Some, like the ones to quiet down automotive belts,
will actually make the belt slipperier and it'll slip more. You
want the kind that makes the belts "stick" to the pulleys. Be
sure to check. The best-stuck belt on a pulley will make noise;
but who cares on something as noisy as a sno-blo.

I know: I had one of each and grabbed the wrong one for the
mower deck last summer. Belt ran nice and quiet, though! g

Got an old flourescent light xfmr ballast around? Disassemble it
and work out the goop inside it from around the windings. Warm
it, roll it into a thick candle shape, and hold against the
running belts. Works as good as the best "dressing" you can buy!
A glob of it lasts forever. After that little mixup, I made my
own from an old ballast for an 8' light fixture. If you DO slip
the belt though, it'll stink to high heavens!

Pop

Red Neckerson

"Stephen King" wrote

My pants belt is slipping. Oops, lookie there.

Reminds me of the worm farm I had as a kid. Only smaller.....

Colbyt

"Stephen King" wrote in message
My pants belt is slipping. Oops, lookie there.

My goodness! Why do you have spaghetti in your pants