Pop

Ignoramus7928 wrote:
On 6 Jan 2005 08:32:21 -0800, Harry K

wrote:
You can also keep a slipping belt in service for awhile
longer.
Spray it with "belt dressing". Comes in a can and I keep one
in my
garage. Berend there for over 20 years but has been used
several
times over the years.

Thanks, an awesome suggestion. I will probably use both new
belts and
the dressing. Napa also has it, Ijust called them.

CAUTION: There are different types of "belt dressing"s
available. Some, like the ones to quiet down automotive belts,
will actually make the belt slipperier and it'll slip more. You
want the kind that makes the belts "stick" to the pulleys. Be
sure to check. The best-stuck belt on a pulley will make noise;
but who cares on something as noisy as a sno-blo.

I know: I had one of each and grabbed the wrong one for the
mower deck last summer. Belt ran nice and quiet, though! g

Got an old flourescent light xfmr ballast around? Disassemble it
and work out the goop inside it from around the windings. Warm
it, roll it into a thick candle shape, and hold against the
running belts. Works as good as the best "dressing" you can buy!
A glob of it lasts forever. After that little mixup, I made my
own from an old ballast for an 8' light fixture. If you DO slip
the belt though, it'll stink to high heavens!

Pop