orangetrader

Default Delta faucet drip...drip...drip...

My kitchen faucet is dripping. It is a single lever Delta faucet.
Sometimes it drips faster sometimes slower, if I push the lever down and
hard sometimes it will stop the drip - until I have to use it again.

Is this something that will require a replacement of the faucet, or
replacement of some parts? I plan to shut off the water supply, there is a
bolt at the base of the lever that I will open up and see. But not sure
what I am looking for. I tried to remove the entire faucet unit but the
"ring" at the base under the counter top is real tight and nothing I have
will free it, I have a wrench large enough but not at the angle where I can
apply any leverage and no room to have any "bite". Is there something I can
do to fix this from the top?

Thanks,

Rick Brandt

orangetrader wrote:
My kitchen faucet is dripping. It is a single lever Delta faucet.
Sometimes it drips faster sometimes slower, if I push the lever down
and hard sometimes it will stop the drip - until I have to use it
again.

Is this something that will require a replacement of the faucet, or
replacement of some parts? I plan to shut off the water supply,
there is a bolt at the base of the lever that I will open up and see.
But not sure what I am looking for. I tried to remove the entire
faucet unit but the "ring" at the base under the counter top is real
tight and nothing I have will free it, I have a wrench large enough
but not at the angle where I can apply any leverage and no room to
have any "bite". Is there something I can do to fix this from the
top?

Thanks,

A single handle faucet will typically use a "cartridge" inside that is cheaply
and easily replaced. Normally you would be unscrewing a ring under the handle
(not under the sink) to get at the cartridge.

HarleyVA

"orangetrader" :

My kitchen faucet is dripping. It is a single lever Delta faucet.
Sometimes it drips faster sometimes slower, if I push the lever down and
hard sometimes it will stop the drip - until I have to use it again.

Is this something that will require a replacement of the faucet, or
replacement of some parts? I plan to shut off the water supply, there is a
bolt at the base of the lever that I will open up and see. But not sure
what I am looking for. I tried to remove the entire faucet unit but the
"ring" at the base under the counter top is real tight and nothing I have
will free it, I have a wrench large enough but not at the angle where I can
apply any leverage and no room to have any "bite". Is there something I can
do to fix this from the top?

Thanks,

woah there big fella. No need to boar hog the entire faucet. The
only thing you need is new O rings. Less than a buck at your local
hardware store.

Most single handle faucets have a cap of some sort covering the
handle. They are usually held on by a small screw or just snap on.

Carefully determine how it's held in place and remove the cap.

1. Turn off the hot and cold water from underneath the sink.

2. Cover your drain hole so you don't have anything fall into the
drain.

3. Unscrew the bolt holding the faucet handle in place.

4. Remove the assembly containing the rubber O rings and take to your
local hardware store, or even simpler, just remove the O ring and take
it to your local hardware store and buy a replacement. They come in
kits with varying sizes or can be purchased individually for about 10
cents.

5. Bring home, install O ring an review installation procedure.

Done.

Duane Bozarth

HarleyVA wrote:
woah there big fella. No need to boar hog the entire faucet. The
only thing you need is new O rings. Less than a buck at your local
hardware store.

It probably needs more than the o-rings...typically the ball cartridge
wears and no longer seals as well.

It seems as though Delta parts have gotten much more short-lived than
originally.

But, this reminds me...I need a kit for the one here as well...maybe I
can now remember when I go to town for the mail after lunch...
Speedy Jim

orangetrader wrote:
My kitchen faucet is dripping. It is a single lever Delta faucet.
Sometimes it drips faster sometimes slower, if I push the lever down and
hard sometimes it will stop the drip - until I have to use it again.

Is this something that will require a replacement of the faucet, or
replacement of some parts? I plan to shut off the water supply, there is a
bolt at the base of the lever that I will open up and see. But not sure
what I am looking for. I tried to remove the entire faucet unit but the
"ring" at the base under the counter top is real tight and nothing I have
will free it, I have a wrench large enough but not at the angle where I can
apply any leverage and no room to have any "bite". Is there something I can
do to fix this from the top?

Disregard the other replies.

Go to Delta website:
http://deltacom.deltafaucet.com/wps/portal
They have excellent repair procedures.

Briefly:
Take handle off.
Loosen big chrome nut under the handle (may be corroded on).
Inside you will find the Delta "ball".
Under the ball are 2 sets of "springs and washers".
Replace ball and spring/washer with Genuine Delta parts; forget
about generic parts.
Get the seal kit too which has the parts on top of the ball.
There is another kit with the O-rings for the spout.

Jim

Doug Kanter

"orangetrader" wrote in message
news
My kitchen faucet is dripping. It is a single lever Delta faucet.
Sometimes it drips faster sometimes slower, if I push the lever down and
hard sometimes it will stop the drip - until I have to use it again.

Is this something that will require a replacement of the faucet, or
replacement of some parts? I plan to shut off the water supply, there is

bolt at the base of the lever that I will open up and see. But not sure
what I am looking for. I tried to remove the entire faucet unit but the
"ring" at the base under the counter top is real tight and nothing I have
will free it, I have a wrench large enough but not at the angle where I

can
apply any leverage and no room to have any "bite". Is there something I

can
do to fix this from the top?

Thanks,

Although you can get Delta parts individually, your first repair is best
done with a rebuild kit, which most home centers sell. Less than ten bucks,
comes with a couple of special little tools you'll need. Put a large towel
over the drain. There's a hex screw you have to remove from the faucet
handle. Gremlins will make it want to go down the drain. Did I mention you
should put a towel over the drain?

Don't forget to put a towel over the drain, by the way.

HarleyVA

Duane Bozarth :

HarleyVA wrote:
woah there big fella. No need to boar hog the entire faucet. The
only thing you need is new O rings. Less than a buck at your local
hardware store.

It probably needs more than the o-rings...typically the ball cartridge
wears and no longer seals as well.

It seems as though Delta parts have gotten much more short-lived than
originally.

But, this reminds me...I need a kit for the one here as well...maybe I
can now remember when I go to town for the mail after lunch...

forgot about the cartridge. Still shouldn't cost much though and is
pretty enough to replace.

You're so right on the Deltas leaking much sooner than before. I
suspect they've outsourced some or all of their parts.
Greg

All of this makes me wonder what was so bad about the old washer system.
I have had my share of "Moan"s, "Price ****ers" and such. Sure you don't have
to replace those 15 cent washers every 5 years, you have a $20 cartridge to
replace and you probably need a special tool to get it out.
Progress huh?
Edwin Pawlowski

"HarleyVA" wrote in message
forgot about the cartridge. Still shouldn't cost much though and is
pretty enough to replace.

You're so right on the Deltas leaking much sooner than before. I
suspect they've outsourced some or all of their parts.

I've had good luck with Delta in my old house. When Imoved here, I had to
replace the rubber parts and cartridges every six month. I cursed Delta and
swore I'd never buy another. After a couple of years I put in a whole house
water filter with a sediment cartridge. I've not had to repair a faucet
since (10 years now). I do replace the filter cartridge every few weeks and
it has a lot of rust in it that was abrading my faucets.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Jeff Wisnia

Duane Bozarth wrote:

HarleyVA wrote:

woah there big fella. No need to boar hog the entire faucet. The
only thing you need is new O rings. Less than a buck at your local
hardware store.

It probably needs more than the o-rings...typically the ball cartridge
wears and no longer seals as well.

It seems as though Delta parts have gotten much more short-lived than
originally.

But, this reminds me...I need a kit for the one here as well...maybe I
can now remember when I go to town for the mail after lunch...

And, if there's a hose sprayer involved, spend a couple of bucks more
and replace the "diverter valve" while you've the faucet open, they
usually "go" about the same time as the seals. (Lift the faucet spout
straight up and off after you've got the top cap off to get at the
diverter valve).

Oh, and those top caps on the Delta faucets can sometimes be bears to
unscrew. Slip joint pliers work, If you don't care about marring the
nice knurling on them. I've never had any luck wrapping them with
adhesive tape first either, the plier's teeth cut right through the
tape. Much better to use one of those "boa" strap wrenches for that part
of the job. If you don't have one already, they really are the cat's ass
for jobs like that.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"HarleyVA" wrote in message
forgot about the cartridge. Still shouldn't cost much though and is
pretty enough to replace.

You're so right on the Deltas leaking much sooner than before. I
suspect they've outsourced some or all of their parts.

I've had good luck with Delta in my old house. When Imoved here, I had to
replace the rubber parts and cartridges every six month. I cursed Delta and
swore I'd never buy another. After a couple of years I put in a whole house
water filter with a sediment cartridge. I've not had to repair a faucet
since (10 years now). I do replace the filter cartridge every few weeks and
it has a lot of rust in it that was abrading my faucets.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems that Delta for the most part has
gone to plastic whereas you can still (if you look hard) sometimes
find metal replacements...these seem to last longer still...

Hard water such as we have is definitely a contributor, too...
Duane Bozarth

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Oh, and those top caps on the Delta faucets can sometimes be bears to
unscrew. Slip joint pliers work, If you don't care about marring the
nice knurling on them. I've never had any luck wrapping them with
adhesive tape first either, the plier's teeth cut right through the
tape. Much better to use one of those "boa" strap wrenches for that part
of the job. If you don't have one already, they really are the cat's ass
for jobs like that.

I just wrap an old wash cloth around and "grab holt"...the pliers will
still hold and marring will be kept to a minimum at worst...
Duane Bozarth

Speedy Jim wrote:

Disregard the other replies.

You then followed up and told him exactly the same thing I did except
my luck w/ the genuine Delta parts has not been as good as w/ some of
the generics recently...
MLD

"HarleyVA" wrote in message
Duane Bozarth :

HarleyVA wrote:
woah there big fella. No need to boar hog the entire faucet. The
only thing you need is new O rings. Less than a buck at your local
hardware store.

It probably needs more than the o-rings...typically the ball cartridge
wears and no longer seals as well.

It seems as though Delta parts have gotten much more short-lived than
originally.

But, this reminds me...I need a kit for the one here as well...maybe I
can now remember when I go to town for the mail after lunch...

forgot about the cartridge. Still shouldn't cost much though and is
pretty enough to replace.

You're so right on the Deltas leaking much sooner than before. I
suspect they've outsourced some or all of their parts.

If you call Delta about the leak and ask for some directions about replacing
parts, in many cases they will send out the necessary kit at no charge.
MLD

Duane Bozarth

MLD wrote:
If you call Delta about the leak and ask for some directions about replacing
parts, in many cases they will send out the necessary kit at no charge.

Hmmm...I'll have to try that ploy...thanks...

Greg

Delta sent me two new faucets for free. The finish went bad. I sent a picture
in an Email, 3 days later a Fed Ex truck dropped them at my door
Speedy Jim

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Speedy Jim wrote:

Disregard the other replies.

You then followed up and told him exactly the same thing I did except
my luck w/ the genuine Delta parts has not been as good as w/ some of
the generics recently...

No offense intended; your post hadn't appeared on the news server yet... :-)
Jim
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Rick Brandt wrote:
orangetrader wrote:
My kitchen faucet is dripping. It is a single lever Delta faucet.
Sometimes it drips faster sometimes slower, if I push the lever down
and hard sometimes it will stop the drip - until I have to use it
again.

A single handle faucet will typically use a "cartridge" inside that is cheaply
and easily replaced. Normally you would be unscrewing a ring under the handle
(not under the sink) to get at the cartridge.

I doubt this one does. If it's like the single lever Delta I have in my
kitchen, it's easy to fix. There's a 1/8" allen screw at the base of the handle
in the front that you remove first (after turning off the water either under the
sink or the whole house valve and then bleeding off what's left in the line).
Wrap a rag around the chrome that's revealed when the handle is lifted off and
use a large set of channel lock pliers to uncrew the mechanism intact. Do not
mess with the white nylon adjustment nut at the top or any adjustment mechanism
for that matter; it isn't necessary.

What you're looking for is under the brass ball with the short shaft. Inside
the faucet itself you'll see two black rubber seats resting inside two detents.
The seats are sitting on a couple of little springs: note the position so you
can put it back together.

The leak is most likely caused by a nick in one or both of the rubber seats. Go
ahead and replace them both while you're there. Reassemble everything in
reverse order and turn on the water. You're good to go. There's no need for
further disassembly / reassembly. A parts kit from the borg should be under
$10.

If water leaks when you swing the faucet to one side or the other then you need
to go ahead and lift off the large chrome spicket and replace the two large
rubber orings underneath. If it's not leaking, then don't bother.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Hagrinas Mivali

orangetrader wrote:
My kitchen faucet is dripping. It is a single lever Delta faucet.
Sometimes it drips faster sometimes slower, if I push the lever down
and hard sometimes it will stop the drip - until I have to use it
again.

Is this something that will require a replacement of the faucet, or
replacement of some parts? I plan to shut off the water supply,
there is a bolt at the base of the lever that I will open up and see.
But not sure what I am looking for. I tried to remove the entire
faucet unit but the "ring" at the base under the counter top is real
tight and nothing I have will free it, I have a wrench large enough
but not at the angle where I can apply any leverage and no room to
have any "bite". Is there something I can do to fix this from the
top?

Thanks,

What other posters said about the ball and the two rubber pieces with
springs under them is pretty accurate. You can go to Delta's website and
they have detailed instructions for this with illustrations. If you don't
know your model number, find one by using the pictures. If it looks like
yours, chances are it's built the same way.

The only other thing I would add is that is that if you have a spray hose,
and the water from the faucet does not go off completely when you use it, or
it has little pressure, you might want to replace the diverter too once you
have everything apart. It's cheap and you've already done the labor by
taking everything else apart. Once the faucet itself is lifted up, the
diverter just pulls out from the front.

Delta faucet DebbieG Home Repair 5 October 29th 04 05:11 AM
Delta Monitor Shower Faucet Travis Home Repair 1 January 20th 04 03:56 PM