Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Rick Brandt wrote:
orangetrader wrote:
My kitchen faucet is dripping. It is a single lever Delta faucet.
Sometimes it drips faster sometimes slower, if I push the lever down
and hard sometimes it will stop the drip - until I have to use it
again.

A single handle faucet will typically use a "cartridge" inside that is cheaply
and easily replaced. Normally you would be unscrewing a ring under the handle
(not under the sink) to get at the cartridge.

I doubt this one does. If it's like the single lever Delta I have in my
kitchen, it's easy to fix. There's a 1/8" allen screw at the base of the handle
in the front that you remove first (after turning off the water either under the
sink or the whole house valve and then bleeding off what's left in the line).
Wrap a rag around the chrome that's revealed when the handle is lifted off and
use a large set of channel lock pliers to uncrew the mechanism intact. Do not
mess with the white nylon adjustment nut at the top or any adjustment mechanism
for that matter; it isn't necessary.

What you're looking for is under the brass ball with the short shaft. Inside
the faucet itself you'll see two black rubber seats resting inside two detents.
The seats are sitting on a couple of little springs: note the position so you
can put it back together.

The leak is most likely caused by a nick in one or both of the rubber seats. Go
ahead and replace them both while you're there. Reassemble everything in
reverse order and turn on the water. You're good to go. There's no need for
further disassembly / reassembly. A parts kit from the borg should be under
$10.

If water leaks when you swing the faucet to one side or the other then you need
to go ahead and lift off the large chrome spicket and replace the two large
rubber orings underneath. If it's not leaking, then don't bother.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE