Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Default non-grounding version of receptable

Can't get the Leviton site to work for me.

I've just installed their 5225-WSP Combination Switch and Receptacle.
This is the older, non-Decora, style which fits a normal duplex outlet
wall plate. This item is a Grounding type, with the third hole in the
front. The house does not have grounding wires. In California, it is not
required to upgrade, but you can't use three-hole outlets unless
grounding is provided. Does anyone know the Leviton product line well
enough to know if they make a non-grounding version of this
switch/receptacle? Or, alternately, whether it is acceptable to plug the
third hole with . . . oh, I don't know . . . chewing gum or JB Weld or
suchlike?
--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
zxcvbob

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:
Can't get the Leviton site to work for me.

I've just installed their 5225-WSP Combination Switch and Receptacle.
This is the older, non-Decora, style which fits a normal duplex outlet
wall plate. This item is a Grounding type, with the third hole in the
front. The house does not have grounding wires. In California, it is not
required to upgrade, but you can't use three-hole outlets unless
grounding is provided. Does anyone know the Leviton product line well
enough to know if they make a non-grounding version of this
switch/receptacle? Or, alternately, whether it is acceptable to plug the
third hole with . . . oh, I don't know . . . chewing gum or JB Weld or
suchlike?

You could also protect it with an upstream GFCI, and attach a little
sticker that says "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND"

Where is this located? I've been running separate grounding wires to
outlets in my old house when I replace them.

I think plugging the ground hole up with epoxy should be OK, but it
would be the least desirable solution in my opinion. If this is in a
bathroom, you would definitely want to and a ground wire and/or a GFCI.

Bob

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:05:49 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:
Can't get the Leviton site to work for me.

I've just installed their 5225-WSP Combination Switch and Receptacle.
This is the older, non-Decora, style which fits a normal duplex outlet
wall plate. This item is a Grounding type, with the third hole in the
front. The house does not have grounding wires. In California, it is not
required to upgrade, but you can't use three-hole outlets unless
grounding is provided. Does anyone know the Leviton product line well
enough to know if they make a non-grounding version of this
switch/receptacle? Or, alternately, whether it is acceptable to plug the
third hole with . . . oh, I don't know . . . chewing gum or JB Weld or
suchlike?

I believe there are 'ungrounded' versions of receptacles still, just a
little pricey.

You could also protect it with an upstream GFCI, and attach a little
sticker that says "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND"

Excellent idea!

Where is this located? I've been running separate grounding wires to
outlets in my old house when I replace them.

I think plugging the ground hole up with epoxy should be OK, but it

This could be construed as tampering with a receptecle, plus
installing a grounded recept into an ungrounded system can be a code
violation, since you aren't following manufactures instructions. This
means little with day to day operations, but I'm sure the insurance
company will over look it should anything go wrong in the house and
they find out you violated code and instructions. The insurance
companies are your friends. :-P

would be the least desirable solution in my opinion. If this is in a
bathroom, you would definitely want to and a ground wire and/or a GFCI.

Bob

Great idea.

later,

tom @ www.URLBee.com

On 12/15/2004 1:05 PM zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

The outlet is not near water -- it's in a closet -- and running a ground
wire to it (the whole house is ungrounded, if I do it to one then I'll
have this odd compunction to do it to all) is more than I want to
trouble with. I can find ungrounded duplex outlets, all I need is an
ungrounded receptacle/switch as described above and I'll have the whole set.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
John Hines

et wrote:

switch/receptacle? Or, alternately, whether it is acceptable to plug the
third hole with . . . oh, I don't know . . . chewing gum or JB Weld or
suchlike?

A standard 2 part epoxy will do that just fine.

HorneTD

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:
Can't get the Leviton site to work for me.

I've just installed their 5225-WSP Combination Switch and Receptacle.
This is the older, non-Decora, style which fits a normal duplex outlet
wall plate. This item is a Grounding type, with the third hole in the
front. The house does not have grounding wires. In California, it is not
required to upgrade, but you can't use three-hole outlets unless
grounding is provided. Does anyone know the Leviton product line well
enough to know if they make a non-grounding version of this
switch/receptacle? Or, alternately, whether it is acceptable to plug the
third hole with . . . oh, I don't know . . . chewing gum or JB Weld or
suchlike?

They make a combination switch GFCI on a single yoke that you could use
in place of the switch receptacle. GFCIs are acceptable as replacements
in outlet boxes that have no ground in the enclosure. You can see the
device at
http://www.levitonhelpdesk.com/catal...lityConnec t=
I hope that helps
--
Tom H

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:27:15 -0500, JJ wrote:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:38:52 -0800, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
j.michael.elliottAT@REMOVETHEOBVIOUSadelphiaDOT. net wrote:

Can't get the Leviton site to work for me.

I've just installed their 5225-WSP Combination Switch and Receptacle.
This is the older, non-Decora, style which fits a normal duplex outlet
wall plate. This item is a Grounding type, with the third hole in the
front. The house does not have grounding wires. In California, it is not
required to upgrade, but you can't use three-hole outlets unless
grounding is provided. Does anyone know the Leviton product line well
enough to know if they make a non-grounding version of this
switch/receptacle? Or, alternately, whether it is acceptable to plug the
third hole with . . . oh, I don't know . . . chewing gum or JB Weld or
suchlike?

Just do it the old fashioned way. Get a grounding adapter.

http://www.cooperwiringdevices.com/c...ategory_id=525

The Eagle combination switch is much better than the Leviton one.

If you are intentially going to defeat the purpose of the grounding
prong of a 3-prong plug, might as well save the money and go all the
way. Cut off the ground. These adapters are ment for outlets that
have a means of ground via the screw.

Because of people 'bypassing' the step you ensure you have a ground
via the screw, these devices were made illegal in some countries.

later,

tom @ www.URLBee.com

et wrote:

Can't get the Leviton site to work for me.

I've just installed their 5225-WSP Combination Switch and Receptacle.
This is the older, non-Decora, style which fits a normal duplex outlet
wall plate. This item is a Grounding type, with the third hole in the
front. The house does not have grounding wires. In California, it is not
required to upgrade, but you can't use three-hole outlets unless
grounding is provided. Does anyone know the Leviton product line well
enough to know if they make a non-grounding version of this
switch/receptacle? Or, alternately, whether it is acceptable to plug the
third hole with . . . oh, I don't know . . . chewing gum or JB Weld or
suchlike?

Just do it the old fashioned way. Get a grounding adapter.

http://www.cooperwiringdevices.com/c...ategory_id=525

That won't do me any good: The box is non-metallic, there is no ground
wire, and the wiring is simply Romex (or some earlier cloth-covered
variation).

The problem is NOT that I have a two-hole receptacle that I want to
convert to grounded. I am seeking a two-hole (non-grounding) version of
the Leviton 5225 combination switch/receptacle in a non-Decora style.

On 12/15/2004 5:57 PM HorneTD wrote:

[...]

Thanks Tom. This is a non-Decora application. It's a three-gang box
with two regular non-grounding duplex receptacles and one Leviton 5225
grounding-style combo switch/receptacle in it. I don't want to change
out all the receptacles to accomodate one combination switch/receptacle
in Decora style, I just want to find a non-grounding version of the
combo part.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
zxcvbob

[...]

You don't need to change the other recepticals, just the one and the
cover plate. (You'll probably need to use sectional cover plates to get
1 decora and 2 duplexes)

I would have filled the ground hole of a new device with epoxy by now.

Bob

Chip C

et wrote:

[...]

Cooper lists such a thing as item 798B in Brown, 798V in Ivory. I'm
seeing in in their PDF catalog; go to
http://www.cooperwiringdevices.com/catalog/pdf_cat.cfm and click on
Switches, and see page 24 as Acrobat counts them.
(Thanks to another poster for the link to Cooper's site.)

Chip C

HorneTD

Cover plates that will accommodate two duplex receptacles and one decora
device are available at any electrical supply house. You can also buy
sectional plates that can be assembled into the combination you want at
most home centers and comprehensive hardware stores.
--
Tom H

On 12/16/2004 8:15 AM zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

Nah - those sectionals look cheesy to me. Besides, I had to mail-order
the 6-hole wall plate for the triple gang non-Decora setup and just got
it yesterday. I ain't gonna throw it away now!

I would have filled the ground hole of a new device with epoxy by now.

I don't know whether that will pass inspection when I go to sell the
house down the road. I don't mind hunting for the part I want for a week
or so.

As mentioned in my OP, I can't get the Leviton site to work for me. Does
anyone have a print catalog handy to see if they have a non-grounding
non-Decora version of their 5225 Combination Switch/Receptable?

On 12/16/2004 9:22 AM HorneTD wrote:

Cover plates that will accommodate two duplex receptacles and one decora
device are available at any electrical supply house.

I'll be hornswoggled. Who'da figured? I might have to go that way, but
the triple-gang six-holer non-Decora wall plate that I had to mail order
arrived yesterday and is installed. I'd rather find a non-grounding
non-Decora version of the Leviton 5225. Anyone got a print catalog?

You can also buy
sectional plates that can be assembled into the combination you want at
most home centers and comprehensive hardware stores.

I think those look cheesy.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
zxcvbob

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:
On 12/16/2004 9:22 AM HorneTD wrote:

Cover plates that will accommodate two duplex receptacles and one
decora device are available at any electrical supply house.

I'll be hornswoggled. Who'da figured? I might have to go that way, but
the triple-gang six-holer non-Decora wall plate that I had to mail order
arrived yesterday and is installed. I'd rather find a non-grounding
non-Decora version of the Leviton 5225. Anyone got a print catalog?

"Chip" found one in a Cooper catalog.
Any electrical supply store should be able to order one.

On 12/15/2004 10:27 PM JJ wrote:

[...]

You da man, Chip! Many thanks!

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
Chris Perdue

From: "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

Or, alternately, whether it is acceptable to plug the
third hole with . . . oh, I don't know . . . chewing gum or JB Weld or
suchlike?

squirrelman, jamb a pencil in it and break it off....done....G

From: "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

Or, alternately, whether it is acceptable to plug the
third hole with . . . oh, I don't know . . . chewing gum or JB Weld or
suchlike?

squirrelman, jamb a pencil in it and break it off....done....G

I could do that. But would it pass inspection when I go to sell the
house. . . ?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
Dan

From: "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

Or, alternately, whether it is acceptable to plug the
third hole with . . . oh, I don't know . . . chewing gum or JB Weld or
suchlike?

squirrelman, jamb a pencil in it and break it off....done....G

I could do that. But would it pass inspection when I go to sell the
house. . . ?

Nope!

There you go then. An otherwise brilliant idea to a messy and
embarrassing problem shot down in a cloud of flaming wreckage.

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
------------------------------------
Today's Deep Thought:

And of course it goes without saying that
------------------------------------

Chris Perdue

From: "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

squirrelman, jamb a pencil in it and break it off....done....G

I could do that. But would it pass inspection when I go to sell the
house. . . ?

of course not...but a pencil isn't always the best tool for the job...(i
thought you had learned that one?...LOL)

From: "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

squirrelman, jamb a pencil in it and break it off....done....G

I could do that. But would it pass inspection when I go to sell the
house. . . ?

of course not...but a pencil isn't always the best tool for the job...(i
thought you had learned that one?...LOL)

LOL! I fear pencils now!

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR

No Ground in Circuit panel. Elmar Woodworking 32 November 6th 04 10:17 PM
New Dryer Old Cord RCAlford Home Repair 9 October 3rd 04 02:11 AM
Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
Doulble Receptacle Grounding Question/ Switch Grounding Michael Roback Home Repair 1 September 7th 03 07:37 AM
Grounding Rod *and* Rebar for service grounds? Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 3 June 27th 03 04:13 PM