zxcvbob

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:
On 12/15/2004 5:57 PM HorneTD wrote:

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

Can't get the Leviton site to work for me.

I've just installed their 5225-WSP Combination Switch and Receptacle.
This is the older, non-Decora, style which fits a normal duplex
outlet wall plate. This item is a Grounding type, with the third hole
in the front. The house does not have grounding wires. In California,
it is not required to upgrade, but you can't use three-hole outlets
unless grounding is provided. Does anyone know the Leviton product
line well enough to know if they make a non-grounding version of this
switch/receptacle? Or, alternately, whether it is acceptable to plug
the third hole with . . . oh, I don't know . . . chewing gum or JB
Weld or suchlike?

They make a combination switch GFCI on a single yoke that you could
use in place of the switch receptacle. GFCIs are acceptable as
replacements in outlet boxes that have no ground in the enclosure.
You can see the device at
http://www.levitonhelpdesk.com/catal...lityConnec t=

Thanks Tom. This is a non-Decora application. It's a three-gang box
with two regular non-grounding duplex receptacles and one Leviton 5225
grounding-style combo switch/receptacle in it. I don't want to change
out all the receptacles to accomodate one combination switch/receptacle
in Decora style, I just want to find a non-grounding version of the
combo part.

You don't need to change the other recepticals, just the one and the
cover plate. (You'll probably need to use sectional cover plates to get
1 decora and 2 duplexes)

I would have filled the ground hole of a new device with epoxy by now.

Bob