zxcvbob

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:
Can't get the Leviton site to work for me.

I've just installed their 5225-WSP Combination Switch and Receptacle.
This is the older, non-Decora, style which fits a normal duplex outlet
wall plate. This item is a Grounding type, with the third hole in the
front. The house does not have grounding wires. In California, it is not
required to upgrade, but you can't use three-hole outlets unless
grounding is provided. Does anyone know the Leviton product line well
enough to know if they make a non-grounding version of this
switch/receptacle? Or, alternately, whether it is acceptable to plug the
third hole with . . . oh, I don't know . . . chewing gum or JB Weld or
suchlike?

You could also protect it with an upstream GFCI, and attach a little
sticker that says "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND"

Where is this located? I've been running separate grounding wires to
outlets in my old house when I replace them.

I think plugging the ground hole up with epoxy should be OK, but it
would be the least desirable solution in my opinion. If this is in a
bathroom, you would definitely want to and a ground wire and/or a GFCI.

Bob