Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

On 12/16/2004 8:15 AM zxcvbob wrote:

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

On 12/15/2004 5:57 PM HorneTD wrote:

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

Can't get the Leviton site to work for me.

I've just installed their 5225-WSP Combination Switch and
Receptacle. This is the older, non-Decora, style which fits a normal
duplex outlet wall plate. This item is a Grounding type, with the
third hole in the front. The house does not have grounding wires. In
California, it is not required to upgrade, but you can't use
three-hole outlets unless grounding is provided. Does anyone know
the Leviton product line well enough to know if they make a
non-grounding version of this switch/receptacle? Or, alternately,
whether it is acceptable to plug the third hole with . . . oh, I
don't know . . . chewing gum or JB Weld or suchlike?

They make a combination switch GFCI on a single yoke that you could
use in place of the switch receptacle. GFCIs are acceptable as
replacements in outlet boxes that have no ground in the enclosure.
You can see the device at
http://www.levitonhelpdesk.com/catal...lityConnec t=

Thanks Tom. This is a non-Decora application. It's a three-gang box
with two regular non-grounding duplex receptacles and one Leviton 5225
grounding-style combo switch/receptacle in it. I don't want to change
out all the receptacles to accomodate one combination
switch/receptacle in Decora style, I just want to find a non-grounding
version of the combo part.

You don't need to change the other recepticals, just the one and the
cover plate. (You'll probably need to use sectional cover plates to get
1 decora and 2 duplexes)

Nah - those sectionals look cheesy to me. Besides, I had to mail-order
the 6-hole wall plate for the triple gang non-Decora setup and just got
it yesterday. I ain't gonna throw it away now!

I would have filled the ground hole of a new device with epoxy by now.

I don't know whether that will pass inspection when I go to sell the
house down the road. I don't mind hunting for the part I want for a week
or so.

As mentioned in my OP, I can't get the Leviton site to work for me. Does
anyone have a print catalog handy to see if they have a non-grounding
non-Decora version of their 5225 Combination Switch/Receptable?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus