Fleemo

Default Suggestions For The Beginner's Toolbox

I recently got married and would like to spend some of our wedding
gift money on a collection of good quality tools. I'm a novice
handyman and looking for suggestions on the essential tools in a
handyman's garage. Cordless drill, circular saw, router? What are
the must-have tools?

I'd also appreciate recommendations on brand names. I don't think
I'll ever buy another Black and Decker product, having been
disappointed with everything I've bought of theirs in the last few
years. But what brands are the quality but reasonably priced brands,
both in power tools and things like screwdrivers and wrenches?

Thanks for the input.

Dear Mr. Fleemo,
All you need to start is a power drill and some screwdrivers. Use your
wedding money on something like a bowling ball.. EVERY project will require
a trip to the hardware store anyway, so just buy additional tools in the
order that you need them. When you do need a particular tool, and only when
you need that particular tool, buy (don't borrow) a medium-priced one
because cheap ones will break and expensive ones are just a little bit more
useful than medium ones.
-B

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
I recently got married and would like to spend some of our wedding
gift money on a collection of good quality tools. I'm a novice
handyman and looking for suggestions on the essential tools in a
handyman's garage. Cordless drill, circular saw, router? What are
the must-have tools?

I'd also appreciate recommendations on brand names. I don't think
I'll ever buy another Black and Decker product, having been
disappointed with everything I've bought of theirs in the last few
years. But what brands are the quality but reasonably priced brands,
both in power tools and things like screwdrivers and wrenches?

Thanks for the input.

Bo Williams

Fleemo wrote:

I recently got married and would like to spend some of our wedding
gift money on a collection of good quality tools. I'm a novice
handyman and looking for suggestions on the essential tools in a
handyman's garage. Cordless drill,

DeWalt or Panasonic.

circular saw,

Porter-Cable 743K or 347K, depending on your blade side preference. Go
quick before B&D has a chance to screw things up.

router?

I have a Porter-Cable 691 with both the fixed and plunge bases, and love
it. Fantastic tool. Don't skimp here. A cheapie router will cause you
endless strife.

What are
the must-have tools?

I use my DeWalt 972 cordless drill and my Klein 10-in-1 driver two or
three times a week each.

I'd also appreciate recommendations on brand names. I don't think
I'll ever buy another Black and Decker product, having been
disappointed with everything I've bought of theirs in the last few
years. But what brands are the quality but reasonably priced brands,
both in power tools and things like screwdrivers and wrenches?

I have Kobalt (Lowe's house brand; same manufacturer as Snap-On)
screwdrivers and wrenches and have no complaints. It's a good
quality/price compromise. I'd recommend that you get at least one hand
driver that takes hex bits.

Thanks for the input.

No problem. Have fun.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/
Edwin Pawlowski

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
I recently got married and would like to spend some of our wedding
gift money on a collection of good quality tools. I'm a novice
handyman and looking for suggestions on the essential tools in a
handyman's garage. Cordless drill, circular saw, router? What are
the must-have tools?

Cordless drills are nice, but after time, the batteries will go dead, used
or not. Corded can make sense in some cases. I love my Panasonic. Nice
power/weight ratio. Also consider Bosch, DeWalt, Milwaukee.

Circular saw. Porter Cable

Router Do you really need one yet? DeWalt or Porter Cable, or Bosch.
Visit www.partwarner.com for router information and suggestions. Pat is
probably the best.

The tools you need will be governed by what you want to do. I do
woodworking and have two routers. I lived through 35 years of marriage and
home ownership without one. If you have a project in mind, sure, get one
now.

Handy to have: Hand tools such as hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, garden
tools, sharpening stones, chisels (Marple blue handle are good), square,
assorted drill bits, rulers, tape measure.

Get a catalog from Lee Valley. www.leevalley.com Lots of nice tools,
project supplies, good ideas. If you have any plans of doing anything in
wood, get a Veritas blockplane.

Sander. My favorite is the random orbital with hook and loop disks. I have
both Porter Cable and DeWalt and like them both.

A small compressor is handy. Good for filling tires, operating nail guns,
inflating, blowing air to clean out crevices.

You already know that B&D is mediocre. So is Skil, Ryobi, most Craftsman.
Most tools from Porter Cable, DeWalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, Delta, Hitachi,
Makita are pretty good.

Your first project should be to build a work bench. Even a small 24 x 48
would be good for tinkering, but 30 x 60 or 30 x 72 would be better. Good
heavy top is important. Double thickness of 3/4" MDF or plywood is good.
Mount a vice on one end. Second project is to make some shelves, drawers,
cabinets. Be sure to tell young bride you need all of this to assure her
happiness when something needs fixing.

Find a good tool shop. Home Depot does not carry some of the best equipment.
I can get better quality, better selection, better prices at
www.coastaltool.com here in CT. I also like Woodcraft stores.

Joe Bobst

Catalogs are good places to start. Craftsman, Harbor Freight ( for things you
only use once), McFeely's for fasteners, etc. Go online to Amazon.com for
collections of trade specific items, like all kinds of stuff for drywall work.
For electrical work, buy the new Klein Tools 14, 28, or 19 and 41 piece
Journeyman Tool sets. They aren't all that pricey, you will get a ton of use
out of them and be the envy of all the electrical DIYers. Try to get a decent
sized all year around workshop going as soon as you can. Then buy a good table
saw, preferably something like a used Delta Unisaw. Let the project dictate the
tools, rent first if not sure. HTH

Joe

Greg G

On 6 Nov 2004 18:10:38 -0800, (Fleemo) wrote:

I recently got married and would like to spend some of our wedding
gift money on a collection of good quality tools. I'm a novice
handyman and looking for suggestions on the essential tools in a
handyman's garage. Cordless drill, circular saw, router? What are
the must-have tools?

I'd also appreciate recommendations on brand names. I don't think
I'll ever buy another Black and Decker product, having been
disappointed with everything I've bought of theirs in the last few
years. But what brands are the quality but reasonably priced brands,
both in power tools and things like screwdrivers and wrenches?

Thanks for the input.

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice about the tools to choose. I'd like
to talk about the "container" instead.

I bought a house six years ago. One of the first things I did was
build myself a workbench, with a big sheet of plywood mounted on the
wall behind it to hang tools from. The tools were organized and easy
to find.

Then I began to do actual work around the house. And that's where the
work was, around the house: NOT in the garage where the tools were.
Each job began with grabbing the tools I thought I'd need and carrying
them to the room I was working in. This was followed by frequent trips
BACK to the garage to get the tools I had forgotten.

Eventually I decided to put together a toolbox. I'd had a metal one,
originally from Sears, for many years. It's the standard kind, with a
lift-out tray on top and an open space below. I put all the "better"
tools in the box, along with a selection of screws, anchors and other
small parts in a plastic organizer. I stocked it quite well, and it
was heavy.

The sheer weight of it made me often choose to, you guessed it, just
grab the tools I needed for small jobs. More trips to the garage
ensued. You ALWAYS need more stuff than you think. Worse yet, even
when I did carry the toolbox to the job, the tools were jumbled up
inside. The fastener tray was under the hammer, the level and a ton of
other stuff.

I decided to make myself a "first aid" tool kit, specifically for
small jobs. I got a sort of square canvas tool bag with lots of
compartments and pockets. It's sort of an 11" cube and fairly rigid.
I put a bunch of my "second-string" tools in it. It also has a small
plastic organizer tray that slides into a bottom compartment.

Two years later the "first aid" kit has my better tools in it and my
"main" toolbox is lying unused on a shelf in the garage. I have a good
selection of hand tools in it, each of which is visible and accessible
immediately. I also have 4 sizes of sheetrock screws, plastic anchors,
a few wire nuts, nails, 2 sizes of wire ties, a pair of gloves, a
small level, a magnifying glass, some drill bits and a cordless
screwdriver in it.

Most jobs around the house can be accomplished with just this tool kit
plus the cordless drill I keep on the shelf next to it. Over time I've
added some tools I found I needed, and removed a few that I never
really used. Although I still occasionally fool myself, I usually know
better than to "just grab a few tools" now. I grab the first aid kit
for even the simplest jobs and I almost always end up using something
I hadn't expected to need.

I strongly recommend that every home handyman get something like it. I
do, of course, need more and larger tools for bigger jobs. I keep an
empty 5 gallon bucket around to carry them. My wife and daughter
usually find somplace "safe" to go on those days.

Greg Guarino
m Ransley

A large tool box, tape measure, socket set, a VS drill , drill bit box
and a 10 and 1 screwdriver. Buy at Sears lifetime warranty no hassle on
hand tools. Drill-driver maybe Makita cordless not B&D or Ryobi

rck

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
I recently got married and would like to spend some of our wedding
gift money on a collection of good quality tools. I'm a novice
handyman and looking for suggestions on the essential tools in a
handyman's garage. Cordless drill, circular saw, router? What are
the must-have tools?

Many good suggestions here on woodworking tools. If you are a homeowner, you
will soon run into needing tools for electrical and plumbing. For plumbing,
three pipe wrenches, small, med, large, also three adjustable wrenches and a
faucet wrench for tightening the nuts up behind the sink. Two sets of Allen
wrenches, metric and SAE. For electrical a digital cheapie meter from Radio
Shackup, wire strippers, needle nose pliers, assorted screwdrivers. I've had
a good set of Xcelite tools in a roll pouch for 40 years. It's their Service
Master #99M complete with pliers, screwdrivers, nut drivers. Also, check out
Jensen Tools.

Bob

kalanamak

Peter H wrote:

I don't have any advice regarding which tools to purchase, but I've got to
say that if your new wife bought into this idea you've got a hell of a catch
there !!

Hey, I was the catch. I came *equipped* with all the home repair
equipment.
As for suggestions, I'd start with a set of screw drivers, allen
wrenches (more and more screws have allen heads, it seems), a hammer, a
hack saw (if you have no yard at all you maybe can skip this), a vise
grip, a power drill with bits, a little jab saw, some sandpaper,
extension cord, a strong flashlight that doesn't break when you drop it,
a slip jaw pliers and a needle nose pliers, a pair of dykes and a wire
stripper/crimper. A stiff metal brush (if only to clean your battery
terminals) some white grease, liquid wrench, a cutter...I'm blanking on
the name...with a razor blade that slides in and out of the
handle....and is much bigger than an exacto knife, some blue masking
tape, duct tape and electrical tape, and the white stuff you wrap on
threads of fluid bearing pipes. Oh, and a plunger. If you have an old
house or are renting anything but top stuff, consider a snake. I can't
tell you how often I've undone my drain, and when I lived in a dorm, all
kinds of males had me come and fix their drains as well. Mommy never
told them pull the hair out periodically and to do something when it was
getting s-l-o-w.
A set of wrenches is more car repair, and bigger things like crowbars
and saws are more for remodeling rather than home repair.
After the above, I'd fill in as the job required.
I advise quality. Cheap tools bust and warp, and as the great John Muir
the III said about having good tools, you can hold and admire them while
your knuckle stops bleeding.
blacksalt
who married a carpenter and has two of everything.

Plan for bit storage & identification prior to buying a router.
Carbide bits last longer than steel. Wear hearing protection.

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 21:07:28 -0600, Bo Williams
wrote:

I have a Porter-Cable 691 with both the fixed and plunge bases, and love
it. Fantastic tool. Don't skimp here. A cheapie router will cause you
endless strife.

MUADIB®

Well, Lots have put in their 2 pennies worth, I shall add one thought

EBAY for some of the tools you don;t need right away. Buy quality.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Rich

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
I recently got married and would like to spend some of our wedding
gift money on a collection of good quality tools. I'm a novice
handyman and looking for suggestions on the essential tools in a
handyman's garage. Cordless drill, circular saw, router? What are
the must-have tools?

I'd also appreciate recommendations on brand names. I don't think
I'll ever buy another Black and Decker product, having been
disappointed with everything I've bought of theirs in the last few
years. But what brands are the quality but reasonably priced brands,
both in power tools and things like screwdrivers and wrenches?

Thanks for the input.

20 - 22 oz ripping hammer, circular saw, an assortment of combination
wrenches both metric and standard, adjustable wrenches, "Vise Grip" brand
locking pliers, regular pliers, diagonal cutting pliers, adjustable pliers,
pipe wrenches, tubing wrenches, 1/2" hammer drill, an electric impact
wrench, work bench, saw horses padded with carpet, step ladders, extension
ladders, first aid kit, phone in the garage (to call 911 or order pizza and
beer..)

This is only a basic list of things needed.

Greg G

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 18:16:19 GMT, "Rich"
wrote:

"Fleemo" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Working alone? (of course you are). Get yourself a couple of
"Quick-Grip" clamps. They are a great "third hand" that can be applied
to or removed from the work with ONE hand.

You might want to consider "reconditioned" power tools. I hear that
these are rarely actually reworked in any way, just tested after they
were returned to the store (sometimes after some jerk's idea of a
"free rental"). I got a Makita hammer drill for about 35% off. It was
indistinguishable from new.

Don't buy blister packs of 10 screws unless you're absolutely sure you
won't need any more of that size again. How can you be sure? You
CAN'T. Buy a box. Get some sort of fastener organization system going.
This can be as simple as a plastic tray with a handle that can hold
the boxes. Start off with three or four sizes of drywall screws and a
few sizes of nails. Buy a box of the type of wall anchors that are
appropriate for your walls AND the proper screws to fit them. Keep
these together. Keep the proper masonry bit for the anchors with them
as well for extra convenience.

Keep all the extra hardware that comes with anything you buy (knocked
down furniture, curtain rods, shelf brackets, toilet repair kit, etc.)
All those unused screws, brackets and such can be a real convenience
when you need some odd size later. Keep wood scraps too. It's
ridiculous to have to go out and BUY a piece of plywood 6" x 12".

Good luck.

Greg Guarino

Edwin Pawlowski

tell you how often I've undone my drain, and when I lived in a dorm, all
kinds of males had me come and fix their drains as well.

Never had my drain fixed, but I've had my pipes clean often.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg G" wrote in message

Don't buy blister packs of 10 screws unless you're absolutely sure you
won't need any more of that size again. How can you be sure? You
CAN'T. Buy a box. Get some sort of fastener organization system going.
This can be as simple as a plastic tray with a handle that can hold
the boxes. Start off with three or four sizes of drywall screws and a
few sizes of nails.

I used baby food jars. The babies are now 37 and 35, but the jars are still
holding my screws, bolts, nuts, etc. Did I say my nuts are in a jar?

RSMEINER

I used baby food jars. The babies are now 37 and 35, but the jars are still
holding my screws, bolts, nuts, etc. Did I say my nuts are in a jar?

Yes you did. Your wife probably put them there after 2 babies.
Either that or it's just proof that you are married.

I tend to use small plastic instant coffee jars. Holds more "stuff"
and they don't break when you drop them.

Randy
http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner
Greg G

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:15:20 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Greg G" wrote in message

Don't buy blister packs of 10 screws unless you're absolutely sure you
won't need any more of that size again. How can you be sure? You
CAN'T. Buy a box. Get some sort of fastener organization system going.
This can be as simple as a plastic tray with a handle that can hold
the boxes. Start off with three or four sizes of drywall screws and a
few sizes of nails.

I used baby food jars. The babies are now 37 and 35, but the jars are still
holding my screws, bolts, nuts, etc. Did I say my nuts are in a jar?

I'm sure my dad didn't invent this idea, but he had the jar lids
nailed into the BOTTOM of a shelf. That way the jars hung below the
shelf and could be removed with a twist. I've got a few of those
plastic compartment trays instead. I don't know if it's a better idea,
but we still lived in an apartment when my daughter was a baby and
didn't save the jars.

Greg Guarino
Phisherman

Here are essentials: Screw drivers, pliers, needle nose pliers, side
cutters, Vice grip pliers, chisels, 10' tape measure, combination
square, claw hammer, nail set, crosscut saw, wrench or socket set,
putty knife, block plane, rasp, hacksaw, toilet plunger, level,
utility knife, duct tape, various screws/nails. If you have any
money left over: corded power drill, shop vac, circular saw, awl,
framing square, trouble light, backsaw, pip wrench, various clamps.
bench olane, chalk line, staple gun, vise, grinder, propane torch
(great for starting the charcoal BBQ). Also, consider some safety
items: fire extinguisher, goggles, respirator, ear muffs or ear plugs,
rubber gloves, first-aid kit. A sturdy solid work bench should be one
of your first projects. Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch, DeWalt are usually
good brands for power tools. Congrats on your marriage!

On 6 Nov 2004 18:10:38 -0800, (Fleemo) wrote:

I recently got married and would like to spend some of our wedding
gift money on a collection of good quality tools. I'm a novice
handyman and looking for suggestions on the essential tools in a
handyman's garage. Cordless drill, circular saw, router? What are
the must-have tools?

I'd also appreciate recommendations on brand names. I don't think
I'll ever buy another Black and Decker product, having been
disappointed with everything I've bought of theirs in the last few
years. But what brands are the quality but reasonably priced brands,
both in power tools and things like screwdrivers and wrenches?

Thanks for the input.

Phisherman

wrote:

"Greg G" wrote in message

[...]

I dislike when I drop a glass, but I like to see what's in the
container. I have replaced all the glass jars with recycled clear
plastic Parmesan cheese containers. They are larger and lighter too.
Peanut butter jars are good too.
ck

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
I recently got married and would like to spend some of our wedding
gift money on a collection of good quality tools. I'm a novice
handyman and looking for suggestions on the essential tools in a
handyman's garage. Cordless drill, circular saw, router? What are
the must-have tools?

I'd also appreciate recommendations on brand names. I don't think
I'll ever buy another Black and Decker product, having been
disappointed with everything I've bought of theirs in the last few
years. But what brands are the quality but reasonably priced brands,
both in power tools and things like screwdrivers and wrenches?

Thanks for the input.

Before I got married, my future wife bought me a Makita cordless drill. That
tool has paid for itself over and over again as we remodel our house. This
is a decent drill, but the Dewalt cordless drill is probably better.

Don't buy tools until you need them. What you need depends on what project
you are doing.

I have been on a molding kick as I have been remodeling bedrooms. So the
miter saw has been priceless. A portable air compressor also is great tool
for bradnailers or shooting texture on walls. Every project you do yourself
pays for the tools you use.

Fleemo

Man! I completely struck gold!!!

Thank you all for sharing a bit o' your wisdom here. I'm blown away
by the great suggestions, and I got a handful of belly laughs to boot.
You guys are great.

You've also made me realize I need to focus on the work space as well,
which I'll ask about in a new thread.

A thousand thank yous!

-Fleemo
Greg

MUADIB® wrote in message . ..
Well, Lots have put in their 2 pennies worth, I shall add one thought

EBAY for some of the tools you don;t need right away. Buy quality.

I've already put in about a dime's worth of my own ideas on this
topic. But I'd like to add a few words in defense of lower quality
tools.

There are some types of tools where poor quality will lead to almost
instant frustration. Diagonal pliers and cutters come to mind. The
Chinese ones bind up even before they rust, and then they rust.

But there are other categories of tools that I think every handyman
should have a few crappy examples of. Screwdrivers, for example. A
good screwdriver with a hardened tip and a nice large, easy-to-grip
handle is a lovely thing. But my cheap Stanley
yellow-and-black-plastic-handle-that-came-ten-in-a-blister-pack
screwdrivers are cheap enough to keep a couple in the kitchen, my
electrical tool box, my plumbing tool box, the yard etc.

More advantages: While you should get a couple of good screwdrivers in
the sizes and styles you will use often, most people don't need the
ultimate quality for the #3 Torx. So get an inexpensive set to cover
all the less common styles. I also like to have a few screwdrivers
that I won't mind opening a can with, or lending to the neighbors.

It's good to have a couple of cheap hammers, too. Same criteria: Don't
use an uncomfortable hammer to drive dozens of nails, but keep a
couple of cheapos in your tool boxes for when a little "persuasion" is
required. I found some adjustable wrenches at the local $1 store. They
wouldn't stand up to daily use (although they are better than you
might expect), but they are just right to throw in my special-purpose
tool kits. I keep the Crescent brand one in the shop.

You'll have to use your judgment to decide which cheap tools will be
useful.

Greg Guarino
PS: Definitely stay away from the Vise-Grip knockoffs.
Dave Allyn

Sorry for coming in late on the thread...

To get first:
Basic hand tools: screwdrivers, hammer, tape mesure, level, utility
knife, channel lock pliers, needle nose pliers, vise grip pliers and a
small "tool box saw" Putty knife, and 8" drywall knife

I also recomend one of those "stanley wonder bars" kinda like a
crowbar, but flat steel.

Power tools: Variable speed drill (pref cordless)
Jig saw.

To get next:

Framing square, Circular saw, chisels, as many differant kinds of
wrenches you can find, recipricating saw, another drill,

By this point, you will have an idea of what kind of projects you will
be doing, and can gather accordingly.

One note I will add that is differant from what others have said on
here. buy cheap tools to start. For $200.00, you could get one of
almost everything, but the cheap models. As the tools wear out or
break (and they will quickly) replace them with medium to high end
tools. This keeps your inital cost down, and lets you get the better
tools over time. this way, you will also have an idea of what you use
and what you don't. No sence in buying a $200.00 router and use it
once, when you could have had a $30.00 drill, 80.00 router, 40.00
circ saw, and 50.00 of hand tools. when the drill wears out in a year
(or less) then spend a hundred bucks for one and use it forever.
Meanwhile, the 80$ router can sit on the shelf as well as the 200$
one.

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!

Steve Nekias

I'd start with a couple of expensive, high quality books like the
Black n Decker, "Home Repair" and "Home Improvement" books.

A "toolbox" is essential, like previous poster mentioned. I like the
BucketBoss TM tool organizer check out www.bucketboss.com This sort
of organizer makes it easier to get the tools to the project site.

I have a great Stanley 15-333 "Folding Pocket Saw" Go to
www.stanleytools.com , then click "saws", "specialty saws". It
accepts any recipricating or sabre saw to suit the task at hand.

Don't buy junk. There's nothing more frustrating than a cheap tool.

Mr Fixit eh
willshak

On 11/30/2004 1:42 PM US(ET), Steve Nekias took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

I'd start with a couple of expensive, high quality books like the
Black n Decker, "Home Repair" and "Home Improvement" books.

A "toolbox" is essential, like previous poster mentioned. I like the
BucketBoss TM tool organizer check out www.bucketboss.com This sort
of organizer makes it easier to get the tools to the project site.

I just bought a red canvas one at HD last week. Fits a standard 5 gallon
joint compound tub or paint bucket, or the one that I am using, a 40 lb
chlorine tablet container. Various sized pockets, both open end and
closed end, and tool loops all over the outside and inside.
Cost $10.79 after NY tax.