Edwin Pawlowski

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
I recently got married and would like to spend some of our wedding
gift money on a collection of good quality tools. I'm a novice
handyman and looking for suggestions on the essential tools in a
handyman's garage. Cordless drill, circular saw, router? What are
the must-have tools?

Cordless drills are nice, but after time, the batteries will go dead, used
or not. Corded can make sense in some cases. I love my Panasonic. Nice
power/weight ratio. Also consider Bosch, DeWalt, Milwaukee.

Circular saw. Porter Cable

Router Do you really need one yet? DeWalt or Porter Cable, or Bosch.
Visit www.partwarner.com for router information and suggestions. Pat is
probably the best.

The tools you need will be governed by what you want to do. I do
woodworking and have two routers. I lived through 35 years of marriage and
home ownership without one. If you have a project in mind, sure, get one
now.

Handy to have: Hand tools such as hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, garden
tools, sharpening stones, chisels (Marple blue handle are good), square,
assorted drill bits, rulers, tape measure.

Get a catalog from Lee Valley. www.leevalley.com Lots of nice tools,
project supplies, good ideas. If you have any plans of doing anything in
wood, get a Veritas blockplane.

Sander. My favorite is the random orbital with hook and loop disks. I have
both Porter Cable and DeWalt and like them both.

A small compressor is handy. Good for filling tires, operating nail guns,
inflating, blowing air to clean out crevices.

You already know that B&D is mediocre. So is Skil, Ryobi, most Craftsman.
Most tools from Porter Cable, DeWalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, Delta, Hitachi,
Makita are pretty good.

Your first project should be to build a work bench. Even a small 24 x 48
would be good for tinkering, but 30 x 60 or 30 x 72 would be better. Good
heavy top is important. Double thickness of 3/4" MDF or plywood is good.
Mount a vice on one end. Second project is to make some shelves, drawers,
cabinets. Be sure to tell young bride you need all of this to assure her
happiness when something needs fixing.

Find a good tool shop. Home Depot does not carry some of the best equipment.
I can get better quality, better selection, better prices at
www.coastaltool.com here in CT. I also like Woodcraft stores.