Greg G

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 18:16:19 GMT, "Rich"
wrote:

"Fleemo" wrote in message
. com...
I recently got married and would like to spend some of our wedding
gift money on a collection of good quality tools. I'm a novice
handyman and looking for suggestions on the essential tools in a
handyman's garage. Cordless drill, circular saw, router? What are
the must-have tools?

I'd also appreciate recommendations on brand names. I don't think
I'll ever buy another Black and Decker product, having been
disappointed with everything I've bought of theirs in the last few
years. But what brands are the quality but reasonably priced brands,
both in power tools and things like screwdrivers and wrenches?

Thanks for the input.

20 - 22 oz ripping hammer, circular saw, an assortment of combination
wrenches both metric and standard, adjustable wrenches, "Vise Grip" brand
locking pliers, regular pliers, diagonal cutting pliers, adjustable pliers,
pipe wrenches, tubing wrenches, 1/2" hammer drill, an electric impact
wrench, work bench, saw horses padded with carpet, step ladders, extension
ladders, first aid kit, phone in the garage (to call 911 or order pizza and
beer..)

This is only a basic list of things needed.

Working alone? (of course you are). Get yourself a couple of
"Quick-Grip" clamps. They are a great "third hand" that can be applied
to or removed from the work with ONE hand.

You might want to consider "reconditioned" power tools. I hear that
these are rarely actually reworked in any way, just tested after they
were returned to the store (sometimes after some jerk's idea of a
"free rental"). I got a Makita hammer drill for about 35% off. It was
indistinguishable from new.

Don't buy blister packs of 10 screws unless you're absolutely sure you
won't need any more of that size again. How can you be sure? You
CAN'T. Buy a box. Get some sort of fastener organization system going.
This can be as simple as a plastic tray with a handle that can hold
the boxes. Start off with three or four sizes of drywall screws and a
few sizes of nails. Buy a box of the type of wall anchors that are
appropriate for your walls AND the proper screws to fit them. Keep
these together. Keep the proper masonry bit for the anchors with them
as well for extra convenience.

Keep all the extra hardware that comes with anything you buy (knocked
down furniture, curtain rods, shelf brackets, toilet repair kit, etc.)
All those unused screws, brackets and such can be a real convenience
when you need some odd size later. Keep wood scraps too. It's
ridiculous to have to go out and BUY a piece of plywood 6" x 12".

Good luck.

Greg Guarino