Lewis Dodd

Default Turning SUGGESTIONS

Being the turning club newsletter, I am planning a summer picnic so all the
turners and spouses (etc) can get together and have a "break" . We normally
do this at Christmas.

What I am looking for is suggestions for this picnic.

things to do,cook,and compete...anything to make it fun, interesting, and
comebackable!

One thing is to have a turned and burned bonfire, explain what went wrong
with the turning and fuel the bonfire with the turning before the club

Suggestions needed and wanted!
Thanks
Lewis

--
The clock of time is wound but once and no man has the power to tell just
when the hands will stop. At late or early hour, now is the only time you

Fred Holder

For several years, the Seattle Chapter of AAW has had a croquet match and a ball
and mallet competition. Some of the mallets are awsome. Last summer Bonnie Klein
brought in one made of clear acrylic. Duly ornamented, big time, and of course
won over another esquisite one done by Jack Wayne. The match is gennerally a big
farce, because many of us are very poor croquet players, but we have a lot of
fun.

The Northwest Washington Woodturners has a Lawn Bowls competition. Everybody was
supposed to turn their own ball. We didn't require them to fit the official
shape which is not perfectly round. Round was ok. We had a lot of fun with that
event.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , Lewis Dodd says...

[...]

Lone Wolf

Hey Lewis,

I think it's obvious for a summer BBQ.........Why not turn a pig on a spit
and everyone gets a turn at the handle! I can taste it now....

Regards,

Lonewolf from Ontario, Canada

"Lewis Dodd" wrote in message
[...]

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Lewis Dodd" wrote:

things to do,cook,and compete...anything to make it fun, interesting, and
comebackable!

Something the Cascade group does is hold an egg cup turning race. Two
minilathes are set up, bring your own tools and have at it. The cups are
judged by the non-turners with points going not only to speed, but to
style and execution as well (it's not necessarily the fastest turner who
wins).

One thing is to have a turned and burned bonfire, explain what went wrong
with the turning and fuel the bonfire with the turning before the club

I like that - don't forget the 'mallows.

_____
American Association of Woodturners
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____

Deb Drake

Hmm. How do you turn pig, with a chuck or on centers? And what effect
does LDD have on pork?

Lone Wolf wrote:

Hey Lewis,

I think it's obvious for a summer BBQ.........Why not turn a pig on a spit
and everyone gets a turn at the handle! I can taste it now....

Buddy Matlosz

"Deb Drake" wrote in message
Hmm. How do you turn pig, with a chuck or on centers?

With SKEWers, of course.

And what effect
does LDD have on pork?

Makes it really clean.

B.

Deb Drake wrote:
Hmm. How do you turn pig, with a chuck or on centers? And what effect
does LDD have on pork?

I use 1 1/2" pipe with SS rods that go through the pig and the pipe. I
suppose thatt's a kind of spur drive. Connect it to a reduction gear
drive and a washing machine motor. Put the pipe on a pair of big "Y"
made out of green wood (WWing content) and use flattened beer cans as
the bear surfaces between the Ys and the pipe. You'lll have to make
your own bearing. %-) A fire pit about 6" deep, and a fire laid at 3AM,
made of old mistakes, is readdy to use about 7AM. Stuff the pig with
lemongrass, if you can get it, zested lemon husks if you can't, and
crushed garlic. Rotate the pig about 2 1/2 to 3 feet above the coals
for 4-6 hours (abouut 12N) and wash frequently with a mix of beer and
the sest from the lemons you stuffed it with. Skin comes out crisp and
puffy, the inside is tender and moist. Darn, now I'm hungry!
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
RESPITE95

Last year our club had a show of our best work for all to see and a "swap meet"
of tools, wood, equipment and so on. The swap meet was a big success and will
be repeated this year. The "show" will also be repeated with the addition of
an outside judge to critique the work and hand out ribbons and/or cash awards
for three places in several catagories.