Forza Azzurri

Default LAWN CARE

Hello,

does anybody have a schedule of when and what to put on my lawn
throughout the year. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. I had a
professional do it but I bet it isn't difficult at all to do myself.
Most concerned with fertilization, weed and pest control.

many thanks !!!
--
'''
(0 0)
willshak

Forza Azzurri wrote:

Hello,

does anybody have a schedule of when and what to put on my lawn
throughout the year. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. I had a
professional do it but I bet it isn't difficult at all to do myself.
Most concerned with fertilization, weed and pest control.

many thanks !!!

Here's a link to the Scotts annual program. You'll have to enter a zip
code for your area.
You can probably use other similar products than Scotts.
http://tinyurl.com/68osw
Joseph Meehan

willshak wrote:
Forza Azzurri wrote:

Hello,

does anybody have a schedule of when and what to put on my lawn
throughout the year. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. I had a
professional do it but I bet it isn't difficult at all to do myself.
Most concerned with fertilization, weed and pest control.

many thanks !!!

Here's a link to the Scotts annual program. You'll have to enter a zip
code for your area.
You can probably use other similar products than Scotts.
http://tinyurl.com/68osw

I don't know what Scotts will suggest, but I am going to guess their
schedule will be customized to fit their products. Often the recommended
materials include things like weed and feed that are almost always not good
to put down at the same time.

Scotts may be fine, but I would look to a local garden center (you may
want to shop for one which has a well informed staff) and get your advice
from them, or maybe here from someone in your area.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

does anybody have a schedule of when and what to put on my lawn
throughout the year. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. I had a
professional do it but I bet it isn't difficult at all to do myself.
Most concerned with fertilization, weed and pest control.

If you're not willing to do the sensible thing, which is just mow
it, let it grow what it wants, and pull out anything you don't like,
then you should get an actual soil test kit, test your dirt, and go
from there.

--Goedjn

Phisherman

The use of lawn products is heavily dependent on many factors. Fall
treatments are probably the most important. You can use the
recommendations as suggested on the Scotts web site, but the grass
can't tell the difference between brands. Do not use weed-and-feed
products.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:38:19 GMT, Forza Azzurri
wrote:

Hello,

does anybody have a schedule of when and what to put on my lawn
throughout the year. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. I had a
professional do it but I bet it isn't difficult at all to do myself.
Most concerned with fertilization, weed and pest control.

many thanks !!!

Chet Hayes

" wrote in message ...
does anybody have a schedule of when and what to put on my lawn
throughout the year. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. I had a
professional do it but I bet it isn't difficult at all to do myself.
Most concerned with fertilization, weed and pest control.

If you're not willing to do the sensible thing, which is just mow
it, let it grow what it wants, and pull out anything you don't like,
then you should get an actual soil test kit, test your dirt, and go
from there.

--Goedjn

Personally, I wouldn't take advice from anyone who refers to soil as "dirt."

wrote:

Hello,

does anybody have a schedule of when and what to put on my lawn
throughout the year. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. I had a
professional do it but I bet it isn't difficult at all to do myself.
Most concerned with fertilization, weed and pest control.

many thanks !!!

This works for the Detroit area which is most likely very
similar to your climate.

4-07 Pre-emergent Crabgrass Control (time sensitive)

4-25 Spring Fertilizer

5-10 Weed and Feed

6-10 Weed and Feed

7-10 Weed and Feed

8-10 Weed and Feed

9-10 Weed and Feed

10-10 Fall Fertilizer

* You may also use a Broad Leaf Weed Killer in a Spray Bottle for
Spot Killing of Weeds

Peter H

Forza Azzurri wrote:

Hello,

does anybody have a schedule of when and what to put on my lawn
throughout the year. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. I had a
professional do it but I bet it isn't difficult at all to do myself.
Most concerned with fertilization, weed and pest control.

many thanks !!!

It's a bit more involved than you may think. Many homeowners can get
their lawn going well for a few years and then they run into problems.

When I was in the business I operated with a cost of goods of about 20%.
I was buying in large quantities and you would pay about triple what I
was paying. Throw in a few dollars for your effort and you're not saving
anything at all.

If you're definitely going to do it yourself I would recommend that you
put 4 lbs of nitrogen down per 1000 sq ft for the entire season. Avoid
heavy fert being released in the summer. Spot treat the weeds and never
use weed and feed. Wack the bugs with an insecticide each summer in the
first two weeks of August.

Good luck

Peter H

Why all that weed and feed???

Why not? Some lawns around here look like SOD farms. Using Weed and
Feed once a month is a simple process. Lawns where neighbors don't use
Weed and Feed are lees green and usually have some Dandelions in them.

If you are having that much trouble I
wonder if you may have other problems like cutting too short or watering
practices that are not doing will. Also the usual fast release stuff using
the most brand name stuff makes for weak grass and extra work and money on
your part.

My lawn looks great. I have no trouble with it because I keep on top
of it. If you want a premium lawn you can not just fertilize in spring
and fall.

This works for the Detroit area which is most likely very
similar to your climate.

4-07 Pre-emergent Crabgrass Control (time sensitive)

4-25 Spring Fertilizer

5-10 Weed and Feed

6-10 Weed and Feed

7-10 Weed and Feed

8-10 Weed and Feed

9-10 Weed and Feed

10-10 Fall Fertilizer

* You may also use a Broad Leaf Weed Killer in a Spray Bottle for
Spot Killing of Weeds

This is not a program I would recommend. I was in the business for about
a dozen years in southern Ontario.

Peter H

That's funny. I gathered most of this info from reading Jerry Bakers
lawn care books. Maybe you should write your own book.
Chet Hayes

Peter H wrote in message ...
Forza Azzurri wrote:

[...]

I agree with Peter and Joseph. No lawn needs 5 applications of weed
and feed during the summer. I have no problem with using chemicals as
needed, but this is extreme and using weed killer on the entire lawn
because you have a few dandelions is environmentally unsound.
Something is very wrong for a lawn to need that much weed killer.
Plus, putting down excessive fertilizer in the summer is an
invitatiation for disease and fungus, which likes water, nitrogen and
high temps. Early April is early for pre-emergent in Detroit for
maximum effectiveness too. It should be applied about the time
forsythias bloom, which is not till late April here in NJ.

I apply fertilizer plus pre-emergent at that time in Spring, do spot
weed control during the season, then apply fall fertilizer in early
Sept and then again in late Oct or early Nov. During the summer, if
needed, I also apply insect control and sometimes a light fertilizer.
Norminn

Forza Azzurri wrote:
Hello,

does anybody have a schedule of when and what to put on my lawn
throughout the year. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. I had a
professional do it but I bet it isn't difficult at all to do myself.
Most concerned with fertilization, weed and pest control.

many thanks !!!

The best thing to do is to, first, learn the best practices for mowing
and watering. That will greatly reduce the need for other treatments.
Package labels tend to maximize use of chemicals and don't often address
the local issues. One application of a major broadleaf herbicide for
weeds, for instance, may be all that you need for several years. Proper
mowing and hand weeding can control what occurs later. I saw a news
item yesterday about male bass in the ?Potomoc River that are producing
eggs! They don't know the reason, for sure, but it is a very disturbing
thought. We already have gators here in Florida with all kinds of
deformities. Part of the increase in oil prices is supposedly from
increased demand in China - wait 'til China gets as "modern" as the US -
the polution will put the world back into the dark ages )

Think about slow release fertilizers, run-off, etc. Proper timing for
herbicides and insecticides has everything to do with their effect and
the need for future applications.

Norminn

clipped

This is not a program I would recommend. I was in the business for about
a dozen years in southern Ontario.

Peter H

That's funny. I gathered most of this info from reading Jerry Bakers
lawn care books. Maybe you should write your own book.

Five applications of "weed and feed" per year is insane. Even in
Florida, a high maintenance lawn "needs" only four apps per year of
fertilizer. Owners of large lawns would be better off putting some of
their sod back into lower maintenance plants, such as islands of shrubs
and grondcover, or natural plants.

Early April is early for pre-emergent in Detroit for
maximum effectiveness too. It should be applied about the time
forsythias bloom, which is not till late April here in NJ.

Contact MSU extension services to find the exact date. That is how
I came up with 4-07 as a typicle date around Detroit.

You are correct on the Forsythia method.