Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ice and water shield

do you need to cut up 2' of siding to install ice and water shield?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-3119876-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 12:15:08 AM UTC-4, Jannes wrote:
do you need to cut up 2' of siding to install ice and water shield?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-3119876-.htm

For what purpose? Around here it's installed on roofs to protect against ice damming.
And per code it has to be installed up the roof plane from the lower edge until
it's 2 feet past the inside heated space below. Maybe that's where your 2 feet is
coming from?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2021 04:34:57 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 12:15:08 AM UTC-4, Jannes wrote:
do you need to cut up 2' of siding to install ice and water shield?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-3119876-.htm

For what purpose? Around here it's installed on roofs to protect against ice damming.
And per code it has to be installed up the roof plane from the lower edge until
it's 2 feet past the inside heated space below. Maybe that's where your 2 feet is
coming from?

Here they want the membrane to cover the entire roof.
This is what I needed on my addition.
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/addition/dry%20in.jpg

It is so, when the hurricane blows the shingles off, you still have a
roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 12:15:08 AM UTC-4, Jannes wrote:
do you need to cut up 2' of siding to install ice and water shield?

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-3119876-.htm

For what purpose? Around here it's installed on roofs to protect against
ice damming.
And per code it has to be installed up the roof plane from the lower edge
until
it's 2 feet past the inside heated space below. Maybe that's where your
2 feet is
coming from?

Here they want the membrane to cover the entire roof.
This is what I needed on my addition.
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/addition/dry%20in.jpg

It is so, when the hurricane blows the shingles off, you still have a
roof.

Makes a lot more sense to have metal decking instead of stupid shingles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 May 2021 11:13:43 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

About $20 thousand more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Fri, 21 May 2021 14:38:03 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Do tell us about your extensive experience in the American roofing industry.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 12:15:08 AM UTC-4, Jannes wrote:
do you need to cut up 2' of siding to install ice and water shield?

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-3119876-.htm

For what purpose?Â*Â* Around here it's installed on roofs to protect against
ice damming.
And per code it has to be installed up the roof plane from the lower edge
until
it's 2 feet past the inside heated space below.Â*Â* Maybe that's where your
2 feet is
coming from?

Here they want the membrane to cover the entire roof.
This is what I needed on my addition.
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/addition/dry%20in.jpg

It is so, when the hurricane blows the shingles off, you still have a
roof.

Makes a lot more sense to have metal decking instead of stupid shingles.

About $20 thousand more.

BULL****.

I priced a hidden-fastner metal roof install and it was twice the cost of the GAF Timberline shingles. Guess which I chose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Did the same about 20 years ago. Made no sense to spend that much more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The only way metal roofs are not significantly more expensive is if
you use "barn roofing" - AKA sheet steel - which is a common roof in
rural Australia
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I installes Certainteed Northgate for the same reason. I could
rationalize spending more for premium shingles, but not as much more
as a GOOD metal roof would have coar and I wasn't about to waste money
on a crappy metal roof that would look like crap within 10 years or
one that looked terrible the day it was installed (barn roof)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If I were told that my lifetime and the roofs were the same, I'd go
for the metal roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have about 20 years to go before I die, maybe a bit more. Why should I
pay for a roof that will outlive me by 50 years?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that was kinda my point. I would like to think that I have 20
years but I know I don't have 50. I highly doubt that I'll have even
20 living in this house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I put on a 30 year roof and moved after 20. When I made that decision I
had no idea that I'd be moving so cheap worked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Would you be referring to corrugated galvanized roofing ? We used5 rib
27ga steel , with a 40 year warranty . Cost with me installing was a
little more than having someone else apply shingles - which would have a
shorter warranty period and no protection from hot embers (very rare but
....) coming from the wood stove . Green is a very popular color out here
in the woods ...
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I fully expect the roofing here - house and all outbuildings have the
same green 5 rib steel - to outlast me . But dammit , I'm gonna give it
a run for the money ! I figger the longer I stay active the longer I'll
last . Cutting 4 to 6 cords of firewood every year is a good start on
that .
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Exercise only matters to a point (and after can be a negative).
Choosing the right parents is far more important to longevity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Trivial to check prices online, ****wit. Even you should be able to manage
that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news

wrote:

[...]

More fool you. The metal roofs last FAR longer.

Mine is 50 years old now and is as good as when new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Corse it does when it lasts much longer.
Mine is just as good as it was when new,
now 50 years later.

Same with bricks instead of the stupid
timber you fools use for the walls too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Nope and it isnt just rural Oz anymore,
almost all new houses now.

No one is stupid enough to use stupid shingles anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

None of ours do.

or one that looked terrible the day it was installed (barn roof)

No one has those and we don't have barns either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Wasnt true when the house was built, stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Maskless Sociopath" wrote in message
On 5/21/2021 7:30 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

Fact actually. Like that or lump it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yup - Barn Roof .Can be galvanized or galvalume - or aluminum.
Several different profiles but generally installed as single sheets
vertically the length of the roof - 4 feet wide, more or less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Nobody does it like that on house roofs here anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 May 2021 17:07:48 +1000, %%cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 May 2021 13:25:27 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

dennis@home to retarded trolling senile Rodent:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 May 2021 14:58:49 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My house was built in 1947. Everyone before me installed asphalt
shingles. When I had it re-roofed, I would have been foolish to change to steel.
I'd never recover the additional cost.

Are you pricing the materials or the total cost of an installed roof
system?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Bull****.

I'd never recover the additional cost.

Thats not what its about.

Are you pricing the materials or the
total cost of an installed roof system?

The latter, because the installation costs
are much lower with metal, stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 5:25:45 AM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:

My house was built in 1947. Everyone before me installed asphalt
shingles.
When I had it re-roofed, I would have been foolish to change to steel.

Bull****.
I'd never recover the additional cost.

Thats not what its about.

It's always about cost, stupid. If I spend $20,000 rather than
$5,000 on a roof, then I have $15,000 less to spend on other
things that my house needs.

Every single decision involves that sort of tradeoff. That's why
we do most of our own home maintenance and improvements,
except for things that require specialized knowledge or equipment,
or things that we are physically incapable of doing.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 May 2021 19:25:33 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've never seen paint exposed to direct sunlight look "like new" after 50 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2021 11:25 PM, Joey wrote:

I priced a hidden-fastner metal roof install and it was twice the
cost of the GAF Timberline shingles. Guess which I chose.

Did the same about 20 years ago.Â* Made no sense to spend that much more.

Corse it does when it lasts much longer.
Mine is just as good as it was when new,
now 50 years later.

Same with bricks instead of the stupid
timber you fools use for the walls too.

Bricks were not readily available in many parts of the country. If you
look at much of the northeast from Boston to Virginia there are a lot of
brick homes. You need clay and kilns to make them. Not readily
available in other places so they use what they could get, Just as
adobe and igloos, you build with what you have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Bull**** it is. If it was you'd be 'living' in a ****ing tent, stupid.

If I spend $20,000 rather than $5,000 on a roof, then I have
$15,000 less to spend on other things that my house needs.

More mindless bull****. Why is the wealthiest country
in the entire ****ing world 'living' in stupid stick
houses with stupid shingles and tiny little windows ?

Are you personally that poorly paid ? Figures.

Every single decision involves that sort of tradeoff.

Must be why you 'live' in a ****ing
tent, much cheaper than a real house.

That's why we do most of our own
home maintenance and improvements,

Sorry, didn't realise you are such a desperate pov on the minimum wage.

except for things that require specialized knowledge or equipment,
or things that we are physically incapable of doing.

Sorry, didn't realise you are such a desperate pov on the minimum wage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 12:41:23 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

My house was built in 1947. Everyone
before me installed asphalt shingles.

When I had it re-roofed, I would have
been foolish to change to steel.

Bull****.

I'd never recover the additional cost.

Thats not what its about.

It's always about cost, stupid.

Bull**** it is. If it was you'd be 'living' in a ****ing tent, stupid.
If I spend $20,000 rather than $5,000 on a roof, then I have
$15,000 less to spend on other things that my house needs.

More mindless bull****. Why is the wealthiest country
in the entire ****ing world 'living' in stupid stick
houses with stupid shingles and tiny little windows ?

I live in a masonry house.

Are you personally that poorly paid ? Figures.

I'm an engineer. Before my husband retired, he was an engineer.
We have plenty of money, but no desire to waste it.

Every single decision involves that sort of tradeoff.

It's about optimization. Everybody, everywhere, building anything
trades off features or convenience for cost.

Cindy Hamilton