Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power Outages

It isn't mentioned in this article but the wind generators
aren't working for what ever reason.
Texas is having blackouts.
https://newyorknewstimes.com/blackout-as-snow-ice-blanket-and-southern-plains-in-texas/114186/
There's an article in the Lincoln Journal-Star about some people in
Nebraska being subject to rolling blackouts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 13:24:41 -0600, "Dean L. Hoffman"
wrote:

It isn't mentioned in this article but the wind generators
aren't working for what ever reason.
Texas is having blackouts.
https://newyorknewstimes.com/blackout-as-snow-ice-blanket-and-southern-plains-in-texas/114186/
There's an article in the Lincoln Journal-Star about some people in
Nebraska being subject to rolling blackouts.

To my knowledge, wind generators require a stable grid
in order to synchronize and generate into.
Also possible that ice build-up could be the culprit ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2021 2:24 PM, Dean L. Hoffman wrote:
Â*Â* It isn't mentioned in this article but the wind generators
aren't working for what ever reason.
Texas is having blackouts.
https://newyorknewstimes.com/blackout-as-snow-ice-blanket-and-southern-plains-in-texas/114186/

Â*Â*Â* There's an article in the Lincoln Journal-Star about some people in
Nebraska being subject to rolling blackouts.

I can see ice being a problem on the blades. Someone has to go sweep
the solar panels too.

It is a problem as most of our society needs electricity to function.
The only part not hurt so bad is refrigeration, just put stuff outside.
Just think how bad it will be when people's cell phones die and cannot
be charged. They will have to actually talk to family members for
entertainment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Feb 2021 15:21:49 -0500, Heywood
wrote:

On 2/15/2021 2:24 PM, Dean L. Hoffman wrote:
** It isn't mentioned in this article but the wind generators
aren't working for what ever reason.
Texas is having blackouts.
https://newyorknewstimes.com/blackout-as-snow-ice-blanket-and-southern-plains-in-texas/114186/

*** There's an article in the Lincoln Journal-Star about some people in
Nebraska being subject to rolling blackouts.

I can see ice being a problem on the blades. Someone has to go sweep
the solar panels too.

It is a problem as most of our society needs electricity to function.
The only part not hurt so bad is refrigeration, just put stuff outside.
Just think how bad it will be when people's cell phones die and cannot
be charged. They will have to actually talk to family members for
entertainment.

I don't like that.

I bought a texting machine to use if there's a power failure here. You
can send over 200 texts just from burning one average-sized lump of
coal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

For the crazies who want to claim Texas is getting screwd
'cuz the windmills ain't working... well...

(sorry for the run on lines..)

[twitter]

JesseJenkins
@JesseJenkins
Important update on Texas's electricity situation: ERCOT system operator is implementating rolling blackouts as capacity is insufficient to meet new record demand of 69,150 MW set late Sunday, 3,200 MW higher than previous record set in 2018. This IS now an emergency situation.
JesseJenkins
@JesseJenkins
Confidential info from a market participant in ERCOT: As of ~10 AM Eastern time, the system has ~30 GW of capacity offline, ~26 GW of thermal -- mostly natural gas which cant get fuel deliveries which are being priorities for heating loads -- and ~4 GW of wind due to icing.
@JesseJenkins
That is a HUGE amount of gas capacity offline, about 30% of total ERCOT capacity and ~half of the natural gas fleet, according to Dec 2020 Capacity Demand and Reserves report he

@JesseJenkins
If we look at Winter planning scenerio ERCOT was using for 2026/27 (table below), they were planning for a peak demand of 67,512 "based on normal weather." Demand last night (in 2021 not 2026/27!) was 69,150
========
while unsourced, "confidential info", is always worth raising
an eyebrow over, this guy is certianly a valid reporter.

https://twitter.com/JesseJenkins/sta...48544154664961

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2021 1:02 PM, danny burstein wrote:
[...]

So again, the REAL problem is fossil fueled generation problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2021 1:24 PM, Dean L. Hoffman wrote:
Â*Â* It isn't mentioned in this article but the wind generators
aren't working for what ever reason.
Texas is having blackouts.
https://newyorknewstimes.com/blackout-as-snow-ice-blanket-and-southern-plains-in-texas/114186/

Â*Â*Â* There's an article in the Lincoln Journal-Star about some people in
Nebraska being subject to rolling blackouts.

We got a CG telephone message a little while ago asking us to
minimize electrical usage , the cold has put a strain on the system .
Not much we can do , the only major user here is the water heater . We
heat with wood and use a couple of fans , but that ain't much - and
every single bulb in the house is LED so ... I pity my neighbor who has
a heat pump . Likely with auxiliary electric elements .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2021 4:18 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 2/15/2021 1:02 PM, danny burstein wrote:
For the crazies who want to claim Texas is getting screwd
'cuz the windmills ain't working... well...

(sorry for the run on lines..)

[twitter]

JesseJenkins
@JesseJenkins
Important update on Texas's electricity situation: ERCOT system
operator is implementating rolling blackouts as capacity is
insufficient to meet new record demand of 69,150 MW set late Sunday,
3,200 MW higher than previous record set in 2018. This IS now an

emergency situation.
Â*Â*Â* ...

Â*Â*Â* ========
while unsourced, "confidential info", is always worth raising
an eyebrow over, this guy is certianly a valid reporter.
https://twitter.com/JesseJenkins/sta...48544154664961

So again, the REAL problem is fossil fueled generation problems.

Only if you ignore the facts that the wind generators have blade
icing problems and the solar panels are covered with snow . But then you
libs never met a fact that you couldn't ignore . Unless you twist it to
fit your agenda .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
We shot them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

**** you too buttercup .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
We shot them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Texas, was: Power Outages

In micky writes:

[snip]

All the turbines here in ontario have a "cold weather pack" that keeps
the generators from freezing up in ice storms etc. The Texans didn't
buy that option - - and the generators froze up

Sounds likely. They're cowboys, frontiersmen. They can get along
without electricity until it gets warmer. They can heat the yard by
burning cattle carcasses.

There's probably local Texas coverage about this, but I cringe
at the huge number of cattle (and lots of other animals) who
are dying out in the cold...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2021 12:24 PM, Dean L. Hoffman wrote:
It isn't mentioned in this article but the wind generators
aren't working for what ever reason.

They don't spin up too well when they're covered with ice. Also there
aren't enough illegals to shovel the snow off solar arrays.

Funny thin about coal fired plants. As long as you have a big pile of
coal in the backyard you're good to go. Snow, ice, ruptured gaslines,
and so on don't mean nothing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2021 01:21 PM, Heywood wrote:

I can see ice being a problem on the blades. Someone has to go sweep
the solar panels too.

Meskins don't like shoveling snow...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 16 Feb 2021 03:18:16 +0000 (UTC), danny
burstein wrote:

In micky writes:

[snip]

All the turbines here in ontario have a "cold weather pack" that keeps
the generators from freezing up in ice storms etc. The Texans didn't
buy that option - - and the generators froze up

Sounds likely. They're cowboys, frontiersmen. They can get along
without electricity until it gets warmer. They can heat the yard by
burning cattle carcasses.

There's probably local Texas coverage about this, but I cringe
at the huge number of cattle (and lots of other animals) who
are dying out in the cold...

I hadn't thought about that. Fwiw, for my "joke" about burning
carcasses, I was only thinking about those they slaughtered for food.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/21 9:18 PM, danny burstein wrote:
In micky writes:

[snip]

All the turbines here in ontario have a "cold weather pack" that keeps
the generators from freezing up in ice storms etc. The Texans didn't
buy that option - - and the generators froze up

Sounds likely. They're cowboys, frontiersmen. They can get along
without electricity until it gets warmer. They can heat the yard by
burning cattle carcasses.

There's probably local Texas coverage about this, but I cringe
at the huge number of cattle (and lots of other animals) who
are dying out in the cold...

Probably not that many cattle dying, at least in Texas.
After all, cattle are out in the open in the Dakotas. The cattle
either won't gain weight or will actually lose weight keeping warm.
Ranchers in the Nebraska Sandhills aim for March calving time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 20:23:24 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

On 02/15/2021 01:21 PM, Heywood wrote:

I can see ice being a problem on the blades. Someone has to go sweep
the solar panels too.

Meskins don't like shoveling snow...

No one likes anything as much as YOU like gossiping, lowbrowgirl! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It isn't mentioned in this article but the wind generators
aren't working for what ever reason.
Texas is having blackouts.
https://newyorknewstimes.com/blackout-as-snow-ice-blanket-and-southern-plains-in-texas/114186/
There's an article in the Lincoln Journal-Star about some people in
Nebraska being subject to rolling blackouts.

To my knowledge, wind generators require a stable grid
in order to synchronize and generate into.
Also possible that ice build-up could be the culprit ?
John T.

Years ago I had a friend at the EPA assigned to looking into unregulated
generators used for backup. Backup generators were proliferating with
unreliable sources of electricity coming on stream.

Where & when was that ?
I don't doubt that back-up generators have proliferated -
- but I strongly doubt that the _cause_ is
grid _generation_ reliability. not the same as
transmission / distribution reliability

In my rural area, I'd guess that ~ every small farm
has a PTO generator or something better .
In my little burg of ~ 80 homes I'd guess that
about half have some sort of back-up generator -
mostly small portable units but a few folks have the
permanent stand-by units with auto-start & such.
... which is what I will spring-for if & when my trusty
little 20 + year-old 5 kw Honda ever dies.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2021 09:03 PM, Dean L. Hoffman wrote:
Probably not that many cattle dying, at least in Texas.
After all, cattle are out in the open in the Dakotas. The cattle
either won't gain weight or will actually lose weight keeping warm.
Ranchers in the Nebraska Sandhills aim for March calving time.

I never had anything to do with cattle but when it got below zero we'd
feed out more hay for the horses and mules. Normally we would figure 1/3
bale per head but we'd double up for severe weather. They could get into
the woods which helped to cut the wind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 07:51:47 -0700, lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile
whore!

I never had anything to do with cattle but when it got below zero we'd
feed out more hay for the horses and mules. Normally we would figure 1/3
bale per head but we'd double up for severe weather. They could get into
the woods which helped to cut the wind.

What has this **** got to do with ahr, senile gossip?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2021 10:10 PM, Snag wrote:
I dunno Ralph , Entergy's rates are pretty good - and haven't
increased for some time now . We're paying about $.10/Kwhr with all
taxes and fees included . Our power here comes from a hydro plant on the
White River about 35 miles north of us . IMO they take too wide an
easement for the lines - a strip clearcut thru the woods - but then we
don't get many lines downed by trees .

I can't complain but I'm in a cooperative that goes back to the REA and
buys power from Bonneville. Back in the 90's the governor got on the
deregulation kick. That worked out well. Montana Power sold their dams
and went into the internet business just in time for the dotcom crash.
The people on their network saw nosebleed rate increases. It put a
couple of aluminum smelters out of business. The pulp mill brought in
flatbed mounted diesel generators.

He went on to become the chairman of the RNC and a lobbyist. His Lt.
Governor squeaked out a term and then we had 16 years of Democrats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Then you run into the same problem the Texas FF plants have. You run
out of fuel and you are in the dark. In hurricane season I keep 50
gallons of gasoline and 125 gallons of propane. It will run me about
8-9 days based on what happened after Irma..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It was well over 10 years ago here in Delaware and I do not know what he
got into as he is now deceased. He had mentioned it to me when I told
him I had bought a back up generator. He was referring to large
generators used by businesses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 08:05:12 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

[...]

We watched the fiasco that resulted from the
California Edison de-regulation privatization actually
and followed them down the same damn path ! Duh.
Ontario went from having historically for decades
the 2nd or 3rd cheapest power in all of North America -
behind Quebec -
.. to where we are now -
10.5 cents off peak
15 cents mid-peak
21.7 cents on peak

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 08:05:12 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I can't complain but I'm in a cooperative that goes back to the REA and
buys power from Bonneville. Back in the 90's the governor got on the
deregulation kick. That worked out well. Montana Power sold their dams
and went into the internet business just in time for the dotcom crash.
The people on their network saw nosebleed rate increases. It put a
couple of aluminum smelters out of business. The pulp mill brought in
flatbed mounted diesel generators.

He went on to become the chairman of the RNC and a lobbyist. His Lt.
Governor squeaked out a term and then we had 16 years of Democrats.

Is that all? End of story already, senile gossip? G
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Nope - no natural gas here - propane for stand-by.
2 x 5 galloon gasoline cans will squeak me through
a couple days or so in winter - longer in summer.
And it gets used-up in the lawn mowers in summer.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank "frank writes:
On 2/16/2021 9:42 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 08:51:34 -0500, Frank "frank claimed:

[...]

All of which use transfer switches to isolate the emergency generator
from the grid. All of them. The only thing the EPA would be interested
it would be the particulate polution from the diesel engines powering
the generators. The generators have no effect on the grid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Just read yesterday they are now making batteries from nuclear waste and
they can last for a thousand years. They would go into places where
battery change is difficult or impossible, such as medical implants and
satellites in space.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2021 6:44 PM, Snag wrote:
On 2/15/2021 8:32 PM, danny burstein wrote:
In Snag writes:

[snip]

So again, the REAL problem is fossil fueled generation problems.

Â*Â* Only if you ignore the facts that the wind generators have blade
icing problems and the solar panels are covered with snow . But then you
libs never met a fact that you couldn't ignore . Unless you twist it to
fit your agenda .

Damn, you're dumb.

Â* **** you too buttercup .

"The truth hurts, eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Tri-Fuel Champion 9900 in the shed with an interlock switch. Run on
gasoline ntill I run out - then propane untill THAT runs out - or just
connect to the natural gas and settle for about 5500 watts which is
still enough to run the furnace and light the house and keep the
cable/internet/phone running - AND run the frig at least between
running the furnace (which only runs about 25% of the time at -20C) Or
turn the lights off and watch the 50 inch plasma TV

Is it 3600 rpm ? Noisy ?
John T.