Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power Outages

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 10:25:27 -0500, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

On 2/16/2021 9:42 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 08:51:34 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 2/15/2021 3:03 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 13:24:41 -0600, "Dean L. Hoffman"
wrote:

It isn't mentioned in this article but the wind generators
aren't working for what ever reason.
Texas is having blackouts.
https://newyorknewstimes.com/blackout-as-snow-ice-blanket-and-southern-plains-in-texas/114186/
There's an article in the Lincoln Journal-Star about some people in
Nebraska being subject to rolling blackouts.

To my knowledge, wind generators require a stable grid
in order to synchronize and generate into.
Also possible that ice build-up could be the culprit ?
John T.

Years ago I had a friend at the EPA assigned to looking into unregulated
generators used for backup. Backup generators were proliferating with
unreliable sources of electricity coming on stream.

Where & when was that ?
I don't doubt that back-up generators have proliferated -
- but I strongly doubt that the _cause_ is
grid _generation_ reliability. not the same as
transmission / distribution reliability

In my rural area, I'd guess that ~ every small farm
has a PTO generator or something better .
In my little burg of ~ 80 homes I'd guess that
about half have some sort of back-up generator -
mostly small portable units but a few folks have the
permanent stand-by units with auto-start & such.
... which is what I will spring-for if & when my trusty
little 20 + year-old 5 kw Honda ever dies.
John T.

It was well over 10 years ago here in Delaware and I do not know what he
got into as he is now deceased. He had mentioned it to me when I told
him I had bought a back up generator. He was referring to large
generators used by businesses.

Oh my gawd, check all the police stations, fire houses, municipal buildings,
hospitals, grocery stores nursing homes quick.

In Sandy the NYU Langone generator got flooded out because it was installed
below ground level. Oops

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 13:56:33 -0500, Heywood posted for all of us to digest...

On 2/15/2021 3:55 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Feb 2021 15:21:49 -0500, Heywood
wrote:

On 2/15/2021 2:24 PM, Dean L. Hoffman wrote:
** It isn't mentioned in this article but the wind generators
aren't working for what ever reason.
Texas is having blackouts.
https://newyorknewstimes.com/blackout-as-snow-ice-blanket-and-southern-plains-in-texas/114186/

*** There's an article in the Lincoln Journal-Star about some people in
Nebraska being subject to rolling blackouts.

I can see ice being a problem on the blades. Someone has to go sweep
the solar panels too.

It is a problem as most of our society needs electricity to function.
The only part not hurt so bad is refrigeration, just put stuff outside.
Just think how bad it will be when people's cell phones die and cannot
be charged. They will have to actually talk to family members for
entertainment.

I don't like that.

I bought a texting machine to use if there's a power failure here. You
can send over 200 texts just from burning one average-sized lump of
coal.

Just read yesterday they are now making batteries from nuclear waste and
they can last for a thousand years. They would go into places where
battery change is difficult or impossible, such as medical implants and
satellites in space.

Wris****ches?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 10:40:43 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 10:25:06 -0500,
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Then you run into the same problem the Texas FF plants have. You run
out of fuel and you are in the dark. In hurricane season I keep 50
gallons of gasoline and 125 gallons of propane. It will run me about
8-9 days based on what happened after Irma..

Nope - no natural gas here - propane for stand-by.
2 x 5 galloon gasoline cans will squeak me through
a couple days or so in winter - longer in summer.
And it gets used-up in the lawn mowers in summer.
John T.

My 5.5kw burns 0.5 GPH gasoline and 0.8 GPH propane. 10 gallons of gas
would not make it a day. I need to be able to start 2 well pumps and
keep the fridges going at least. With no central A/C, I also want to
keep the pool blue. We swap that for the bedroom A/C at night. The
general lighting load is insignificant after that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2021 4:17 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

I'll take california any day.

I've been to Cali twice. San Fransisco and north once, south to
Carmel the second time. Not sure I'd want to live there, but the visit
was pleasant. Good folks.

My brother was in San Diego area. Nice to visit, never wanted to move
there. A week or two at a time was nice. Good weather.

Been to florida 3 or 4 times - don't really care if I never go back.
Wasn'timpressed with Geirgia either - or the Carolinas.

Which Florida? It is about 1100 miles long and varies considerably in
climate, people, landscape. I like my west coast area but would not go
to others.

Only spent time in resort areas of Georgia but my sister lives in NC.
Not bad where she is, but have only spent a few days at a time.

Kentucky and Tennessee weren't bad but then againI was just passing
through. You can keep the Dakotas and Iowa and as the saying goes, "I
spent a weekin Kansas one day" -Nebraska about the same OK not much
better.

Yep, I'd just keep passing through

Nothing but sky in Montana and Wyoming - much like
Saskatchewan. And Nevada???? neh! I'd like to see Arizona and Utah
some time.

Nice to see, no desire to stay long.

New Mexaco and southern Cali too. Michigan, Wisconsin, and
Minesota are OK - same with PA.

PA was good

The northern part of NY isn't bad and
Maine / Vermont but southern NY and the Virginias??? Not impressed.

Pretty much agree.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 16:12:51 -0500, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Tri-Fuel Champion 9900 in the shed with an interlock switch. Run on
gasoline ntill I run out - then propane untill THAT runs out - or just
connect to the natural gas and settle for about 5500 watts which is
still enough to run the furnace and light the house and keep the
cable/internet/phone running - AND run the frig at least between
running the furnace (which only runs about 25% of the time at -20C) Or
turn the lights off and watch the 50 inch plasma TV

Is it 3600 rpm ? Noisy ?
John T.

Yes, it's a rather noisy 3600RPM unit. I used to have an ANCIENT
single cyl Onan 1800 RPM unit - only 2500 watt 110 volt - with a wrap
and pull rope start (not even a recoil) and it was just as noisy as
the 3600 RPM unit. Just a different noise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Very cool. And it's hard to find uses for nuclear waste.

However they are also powering medical implants with coal. Not only
will it run your pacemaker but it keeps you warm too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 17:55:28 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I've travelled and lived in sone third world countries. 2 years in
Zambia, a month in Burkina Faso, travelled in Zaire and Bottswana, and
from FD to the bottom of Yucatan in Mexico. There are parts of the USA
that are worse - in many ways.

The mountains of New York, Kentucky, and the virginias have some
beauty - but NOBOFY should have to live the way many have to there in
a DEVELOPED country.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 17:55:28 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/16/2021 4:17 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

I'll take california any day.

I've been to Cali twice. San Fransisco and north once, south to
Carmel the second time. Not sure I'd want to live there, but the visit
was pleasant. Good folks.

My brother was in San Diego area. Nice to visit, never wanted to move
there. A week or two at a time was nice. Good weather.

Been to florida 3 or 4 times - don't really care if I never go back.
Wasn'timpressed with Geirgia either - or the Carolinas.

Which Florida? It is about 1100 miles long and varies considerably in
climate, people, landscape. I like my west coast area but would not go
to others.

Probably went to Orlando and Miami.

Only spent time in resort areas of Georgia but my sister lives in NC.
Not bad where she is, but have only spent a few days at a time.

We have spent a lot of time in that tristate area were Georgia
Tennessee and North Carolina converge. It is really a pretty nice area
but watch out for the Trumprers. That is where the Greene woman is
from. It is an easy mountain trip from Florida although we still
prefer flying into Atlanta and renting a car. That 600 miles of I-75
is mind numbing and wastes a day each way. The last 4 times we went to
DC we went up through the mountains instead of I-95 and took a week.
We flew home.

Kentucky and Tennessee weren't bad but then againI was just passing
through. You can keep the Dakotas and Iowa and as the saying goes, "I
spent a weekin Kansas one day" -Nebraska about the same OK not much
better.

The black hills in SD are cool but the rest is Nebraska. We were all
over the Dakotas and ended up running back to the black hills.

Yep, I'd just keep passing through

My SIL's family is from Nebraska. His dad was a professor at one of
those universities. I asked him what they had in Nebraska and he said
"dirt".

Nothing but sky in Montana and Wyoming - much like
Saskatchewan. And Nevada???? neh! I'd like to see Arizona and Utah
some time.

Nice to see, no desire to stay long.

We liked Montana. Dipped into Wyoming on both sides. The Tetons are
cool. We stayed at Grand Targee.
Turned down a job in Tucson.

New Mexaco and southern Cali too. Michigan, Wisconsin, and
Minesota are OK - same with PA.

We did an Az NM trip. The high plains are good, the desert sux.

PA was good

Meh It is hard to tell where western Md stops and NY starts,
Skiing in 7 springs isn't bad if you like low hill skiing. I white
water rafted on the Yuk.

The northern part of NY isn't bad and
Maine / Vermont but southern NY and the Virginias??? Not impressed.

Pretty much agree.

Did that loop from New Hampshire through Vermont, across the lake to
NY to Buffalo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I thought that was Frijoles

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 23:17:46 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

Been to florida 3 or 4 times - don't really care if I never go back.

And to get it back on topic, I never had a power outage in
Livingstone in 2 years - - - Never had POWER inFabedougou until we
got the solar cells, batteries, and inverter set up. The power went
out at 8pm at Macha and Mbereshi unless there was something special
going on to require later community power (Diesel is expensive)
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 22:53:39 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

You don't suppose climate has anything to do with that do you?

No, it doesn't. The climate in california is quite varied, much
like Texas. California gets a lot more snow than Texas.

How many days do you run the heat or the A/C and how much does it run?

Have you been in the central or san joaquin valley in the summer? Fresno
averages 100 for much of late summer.

California also has made a concerted effort to reduce energy use
for the last several decades (efficiency, et alia), successfully.

I have been in Fresno and the san joaquin valley. The first thing I
noticed is there are not nearly as many people there as there are on
the coast. Same with the mountains where the snow is. I actually
preferred it although the farm country is pretty boring if you are not
a farmer and they were ****ed about the water, or lack thereof.

Well, here on the coast it's currently 35 degrees and the heater is running.

And you'd be surpised at how many people live in fresno, bakersfield[*],
sacramento, redding and chico. Not to mention the large ag operations
that consume energy, including the almond processors.
[*] Where that fool Kevin McCarthy represents about 1% of the state's population.

As for farm country, I prefer the northern parts of the state. Much
prettier. Highway 299 from Burney to Alturas is quite nice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 19:00:42 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/16/2021 11:40 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 17:55:28 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
The last 4 times we went to
DC we went up through the mountains instead of I-95 and took a week.
We flew home.

Kentucky and Tennessee weren't bad but then againI was just passing
through. You can keep the Dakotas and Iowa and as the saying goes, "I
spent a weekin Kansas one day" -Nebraska about the same OK not much
better.

The black hills in SD are cool but the rest is Nebraska. We were all
over the Dakotas and ended up running back to the black hills.

Had plans to go there a few years back but my wife had some surgery and
was never up to a trip like that after. I was taking a norther route
west, dropping to Las Vegas to see a new great grandson, then home on a
more southern route.
It is a variation of two previous trips west.

I have never been to Vegas and have no interest in going. We have been
all around the west tho.
This is my vacation picture directory

1997 Guatemala Cozumel Caymans
1998 DC Tidewater Va
1999 Tennessee
2000 psjoe
2004 Alaska
2005 Idaho Wyoming
2006 New Mexico Arizona
2007 The Dakotas
2008 new england
2008 ski trip xmas Pa
2009 california
2009 Smokies DC
2010 Georgia
2011 colorado
2012 Md 4th
2012 North Carolina
2013 Oregon
2014 montana
2015 New Zealand
2016 DC
2017 Mash Stomp NC

Did that loop from New Hampshire through Vermont, across the lake to
NY to Buffalo.

Spent a lot of time in that area after moving to CT. Some nice small town.

We avoided all of the cities as much as possible. We did like the area
around Lake Placid but when we got to Buffalo we went straight through
to Canada. That is like getting in a time machine comparing New York
to Ontario. It is the same on the other side of the lake in Detroit.
Canada is Mayberry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 10:09:17 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/18/2021 1:31 AM, wrote:

I have never been to Vegas and have no interest in going. We have been
all around the west tho.

You really should go sometime when you have an hour to kill. Take a
ride out to the dam, then go down the strip and spend 15 minutes in a
casino. Done.

Casinos are all alike, whether it is AC, Nassau or Immokalee.
I have seen bright lights and blighted neighborhoods too. They are
usually right down the road from the Casino.

Been there more times than I cared to be. We went for some work
"seminars" for a few days. Daughter lived there for a few years and I
still have two granddaughters living there.

This is my vacation picture directory

1997 Guatemala Cozumel Caymans
1998 DC Tidewater Va
1999 Tennessee
2000 psjoe
2004 Alaska
2005 Idaho Wyoming
2006 New Mexico Arizona
2007 The Dakotas
2008 new england
2008 ski trip xmas Pa
2009 california
2009 Smokies DC
2010 Georgia
2011 colorado
2012 Md 4th
2012 North Carolina
2013 Oregon
2014 montana
2015 New Zealand
2016 DC
2017 Mash Stomp NC

Pretty good list. I have most of the east well covered but not much in
the northwest. Been to Mexico a few times but no desire to return.

Mexico is OK once you get away from the border and the tourist areas.
We took a day trip about 50 miles south of Cancun for a horseback
adventure and ran into a girl from South Dakota. It was a totally
different experience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/21 10:09 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/18/2021 1:31 AM, wrote:

I have never been to Vegas and have no interest in going. We have been
all around the west tho.

You really should go sometime when you have an hour to kill.Â* Take a
ride out to the dam, then go down the strip and spend 15 minutes in a
casino.Â* Done.

Been there more times than I cared to be.Â* We went for some work
"seminars" for a few days.Â* Daughter lived there for a few years and I
still have two granddaughters living there.

snip

Years back, I was on a business trip from Atlanta to Ontario, California
with a change of planes in Las Vegas. I had a few minutes until boarding
time and four quarters in my pocket. I decided to deposit in the slot
machines right at the boarding gate.

Long story short- I hit the jackpot with the last coin. Sirens went off,
bells started ringing and quarters poured out of the machine.

I ended up filling a half-dozen 32 ounce drink cups. But I couldn't get
the change ladies roaming the concourse to accept the quarters and give
me bills. They said they were only allowed to change bills into
quarters, not vice-versa! So I ended up trucking them onto the plane
with me.

I was met right at the gate in Ontario and whisked immediately to lead a
meeting at my client's office. The six cups on the conference table made
for an amusing story and got everyone into a good frame of mind for the
not very good news I had to deliver to them...

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/18/2021 12:06 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Years back, I was on a business trip from Atlanta to Ontario, California
with a change of planes in Las Vegas. I had a few minutes until boarding
time and four quarters in my pocket. I decided to deposit in the slot
machines right at the boarding gate.

Long story short- I hit the jackpot with the last coin. Sirens went off,
bells started ringing and quarters poured out of the machine.

When I was trucking at stopped at night at a casino in Jean. Around 4 AM
I climbed out of the truck and went inside to get a cup of coffee. I got
a quarter in change for the coffee and threw it into the slot by the
coffee stand. Same deal. The girl at the coffee counter said 'You son of
a bitch! I've been feeding that one all night!'.

That was my big lifetime casino win.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2021 1:31 AM, wrote:

[...]

We used to have slot machines in Md when I was growing up and we went
down to Waldorf drinking and playing the slots pretty often when I was
in high school. Only once did I ever do well. I hit 2 jackpots in one
night. Total $87.50. The real jackpots were paid by the bar owner,
not out of the machine. Dumping that little stack of coins was
literally chump change. We were rich for a while. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 19:53:18 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

When I was trucking at stopped at night at a casino in Jean. Around 4 AM
I climbed out of the truck and

Oh, no!

FLUSH another typical senile bull**** story