Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Power Outages

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 16:12:51 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 15:05:38 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 09:42:52 -0500,
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 08:51:34 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 2/15/2021 3:03 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 13:24:41 -0600, "Dean L. Hoffman"
wrote:

It isn't mentioned in this article but the wind generators
aren't working for what ever reason.
Texas is having blackouts.
https://newyorknewstimes.com/blackout-as-snow-ice-blanket-and-southern-plains-in-texas/114186/
There's an article in the Lincoln Journal-Star about some people in
Nebraska being subject to rolling blackouts.

To my knowledge, wind generators require a stable grid
in order to synchronize and generate into.
Also possible that ice build-up could be the culprit ?
John T.

Years ago I had a friend at the EPA assigned to looking into unregulated
generators used for backup. Backup generators were proliferating with
unreliable sources of electricity coming on stream.

Where & when was that ?
I don't doubt that back-up generators have proliferated -
- but I strongly doubt that the _cause_ is
grid _generation_ reliability. not the same as
transmission / distribution reliability

In my rural area, I'd guess that ~ every small farm
has a PTO generator or something better .
In my little burg of ~ 80 homes I'd guess that
about half have some sort of back-up generator -
mostly small portable units but a few folks have the
permanent stand-by units with auto-start & such.
... which is what I will spring-for if & when my trusty
little 20 + year-old 5 kw Honda ever dies.
John T.

Tri-Fuel Champion 9900 in the shed with an interlock switch. Run on
gasoline ntill I run out - then propane untill THAT runs out - or just
connect to the natural gas and settle for about 5500 watts which is
still enough to run the furnace and light the house and keep the
cable/internet/phone running - AND run the frig at least between
running the furnace (which only runs about 25% of the time at -20C) Or
turn the lights off and watch the 50 inch plasma TV

Is it 3600 rpm ? Noisy ?
John T.

Yes, it's a rather noisy 3600RPM unit. I used to have an ANCIENT
single cyl Onan 1800 RPM unit - only 2500 watt 110 volt - with a wrap
and pull rope start (not even a recoil) and it was just as noisy as
the 3600 RPM unit. Just a different noise.