Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkieİ Tekkieİ is offline

Default Power Outages

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 10:25:27 -0500, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

On 2/16/2021 9:42 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 08:51:34 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 2/15/2021 3:03 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 13:24:41 -0600, "Dean L. Hoffman"
wrote:

It isn't mentioned in this article but the wind generators
aren't working for what ever reason.
Texas is having blackouts.
https://newyorknewstimes.com/blackout-as-snow-ice-blanket-and-southern-plains-in-texas/114186/
There's an article in the Lincoln Journal-Star about some people in
Nebraska being subject to rolling blackouts.

To my knowledge, wind generators require a stable grid
in order to synchronize and generate into.
Also possible that ice build-up could be the culprit ?
John T.

Years ago I had a friend at the EPA assigned to looking into unregulated
generators used for backup. Backup generators were proliferating with
unreliable sources of electricity coming on stream.

Where & when was that ?
I don't doubt that back-up generators have proliferated -
- but I strongly doubt that the _cause_ is
grid _generation_ reliability. not the same as
transmission / distribution reliability

In my rural area, I'd guess that ~ every small farm
has a PTO generator or something better .
In my little burg of ~ 80 homes I'd guess that
about half have some sort of back-up generator -
mostly small portable units but a few folks have the
permanent stand-by units with auto-start & such.
... which is what I will spring-for if & when my trusty
little 20 + year-old 5 kw Honda ever dies.
John T.

It was well over 10 years ago here in Delaware and I do not know what he
got into as he is now deceased. He had mentioned it to me when I told
him I had bought a back up generator. He was referring to large
generators used by businesses.

Oh my gawd, check all the police stations, fire houses, municipal buildings,
hospitals, grocery stores nursing homes quick.

In Sandy the NYU Langone generator got flooded out because it was installed
below ground level. Oops

--
Tekkie