Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Decking over a tile / concrete slab

First time poster and not a builder. Just wondering if the below is possible:

I want to deck over our front porch (~1m x 4m). The porch is currently tiled over a concrete slab. I was thinking of laying joists over the top and then decking on top of that; however, I was wondering if you can lay joists down so they arent as tall? I understand that this will make the deck less stable in a normal circumstance, but will this be the same as the concrete slab is already there? If I have the joists standing upright then it will be too tall for our entry way.

Thoughts?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...b-3086014-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2021 6:45 AM, Ethan Brown wrote:
First time poster and not a builder. Just wondering if the below is
possible:

I want to deck over our front porch (~1m x 4m). The porch is currently
tiled over a concrete slab. I was thinking of laying joists over the top
and then decking on top of that; however, I was wondering if you can lay
joists down so they arent as tall? I understand that this will make the
deck less stable in a normal circumstance, but will this be the same as
the concrete slab is already there? If I have the joists standing
upright then it will be too tall for our entry way.
Thoughts?

If you like having more maintenance to do, cover the tile with wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2021 9:45 AM, Ethan Brown wrote:
First time poster and not a builder. Just wondering if the below is
possible:

I want to deck over our front porch (~1m x 4m). The porch is currently
tiled over a concrete slab. I was thinking of laying joists over the top
and then decking on top of that; however, I was wondering if you can lay
joists down so they arent as tall? I understand that this will make the
deck less stable in a normal circumstance, but will this be the same as
the concrete slab is already there? If I have the joists standing
upright then it will be too tall for our entry way.
Thoughts?

You can but you may regret your decision down the road. Sealing.
staining, whatever, wood deteriorates over time

Wood is more maintenance than tile or stone that is easily washed off.
You are going to have a couple of inches of space between decking and
the base. Rodents and insects like places like that. Of course, it you
are raising rats for research labs it is a great place for them to nest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 6, 2021 at 9:45:10 AM UTC-5, Ethan Brown wrote:
First time poster and not a builder. Just wondering if the below is possible:

I want to deck over our front porch (~1m x 4m). The porch is currently tiled over a concrete slab. I was thinking of laying joists over the top and then decking on top of that; however, I was wondering if you can lay joists down so they arent as tall? I understand that this will make the deck less stable in a normal circumstance, but will this be the same as the concrete slab is already there? If I have the joists standing upright then it will be too tall for our entry way.

Thoughts?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...b-3086014-.htm

Yes, since the slab is supporting the wood, the joists do not have to be as wide, even
a couple inches would be enough. You can anchor each joist to the slab in a few spots
for stability, keep them from moving, etc. I hope it has some pitch in the right direction
so water doesn't pool up under there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 6, 2021 at 11:26:18 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 14:45:02 +0000, Ethan Brown
wrote:

First time poster and not a builder. Just wondering if the below is possible:
I want to deck over our front porch (~1m x 4m).
The porch is currently tiled over a concrete slab.
I was thinking of laying joists over the top and then decking on top of that;
however, I was wondering if you can lay joists down so they arent as tall?
I understand that this will make the deck less stable in a normal circumstance,
but will this be the same as the concrete slab is already there?
If I have the joists standing upright then it will be too tall for our entry way.
Thoughts?

I wouldn't call them joists - more like levelling strips or spacers.
Why not synthetic decking directly on the tiles ?
John T.

Nowhere for water to drain? It accumulates, freezes? IDK, might work but I
think using some wood strips is safer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2021 9:45 AM, Ethan Brown wrote:
First time poster and not a builder. Just wondering if the below is possible:

I want to deck over our front porch (~1m x 4m). The porch is currently tiled over a concrete slab. I was thinking of laying joists over the top and then decking on top of that; however, I was wondering if you can lay joists down so they arent as tall?
I understand that this will make the deck less stable in a normal circumstance, but will this be the same as the concrete slab is already there? If I have the joists standing upright then it will be too tall for our entry way.
Thoughts?

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-C...s/N-5yc1vZc224

Maybe throw in some grass accent tiles as well?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/21 10:03 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Maybe the OP could run the joists to allow for water drainage if
he doesn't care how the deck boards are run.
I was trying to think of an alternative to wooden joists depending
on how much higher he wants the deck to be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2021 10:24 AM, Bob F wrote:
On 1/6/2021 6:45 AM, Ethan Brown wrote:
First time poster and not a builder. Just wondering if the below is
possible:

I want to deck over our front porch (~1m x 4m). The porch is currently
tiled over a concrete slab. I was thinking of laying joists over the
top and then decking on top of that; however, I was wondering if you
can lay joists down so they arent as tall? I understand that this
will make the deck less stable in a normal circumstance, but will this
be the same as the concrete slab is already there? If I have the
joists standing upright then it will be too tall for our entry way.
Thoughts?

If you like having more maintenance to do, cover the tile with wood.

Way to tell him why and the proper method, pea brain. Do you offer
anything of use being in here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2021 9:45 AM, Ethan Brown wrote:
First time poster and not a builder. Just wondering if the below is
possible:

I want to deck over our front porch (~1m x 4m). The porch is currently
tiled over a concrete slab. I was thinking of laying joists over the top
and then decking on top of that; however, I was wondering if you can lay
joists down so they arent as tall? I understand that this will make the
deck less stable in a normal circumstance, but will this be the same as
the concrete slab is already there? If I have the joists standing
upright then it will be too tall for our entry way.
Thoughts?

Wood directly on concrete will deteriorate and eventually cause the deck
to slowly collapse. You should have a few inches between if possible.
Use composite or galvanize spacers between the two. It will keep the
moisture and all drained water from contacting the wood and allow
airflow under them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

First time poster and not a builder. Just wondering if the below is possible:
I want to deck over our front porch (~1m x 4m).
The porch is currently tiled over a concrete slab.
I was thinking of laying joists over the top and then decking on top of that;
however, I was wondering if you can lay joists down so they arent as tall?
I understand that this will make the deck less stable in a normal circumstance,
but will this be the same as the concrete slab is already there?
If I have the joists standing upright then it will be too tall for our entry way.
Thoughts?

I wouldn't call them joists - more like levelling strips or spacers.
Why not synthetic decking directly on the tiles ?
John T.

Nowhere for water to drain? It accumulates, freezes? IDK, might work but I
think using some wood strips is safer.

Maybe a synthetic 2 x 4 is the best of both worlds. Won't rot and
allows air circulation.

Depending on the size, I'd consider building it in sections that can be
lifted for cleaning the gunk building up underneath.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the reply. I can see how the water could be an issue. What if I attached the joists to the concrete with angle brackets? Would this keep the water off the wood and allow for it to flow out naturally? It is underneath a roof and generally doesnt get much water as is, but better safe than sorry. Cheers

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...b-3086014-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi John, I am planning on using a synthetic decking but was not aware I could do this straight into the tiles. How would you suggest going about this?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...b-3086014-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Trader, do you think anchoring each joist would allow enough space between the joist and the slab for the water to escape? Cheers

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...b-3086014-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 21:15:02 +0000, Ethan Brown
wrote:

Hi Trader, do you think anchoring each joist would allow enough space between the joist and the slab for the water to escape? Cheers

I think I would use 1 1/2"Trex for the sleepers under the deck. They
won't rot any time soon. That isn't going to be at the Home Depot but
a real lumber yard will have it. Run them up and down the slope, not
across it so it can drain. If you can't find that stack a ribbed
5/4ths Trex on the bottom and put a standard 3/4" trex or even PT wood
ion top of that. Use some 1/4" hardware cloth at the bottom so water
can get out but rodent's can't get in.

another option;
If you are near the coast, a marine supplier can sell you rough sawn
0.8 CCA lumber that will outlast us all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 6 Jan 2021 10:40:27 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

[...]

+1

Interesting how you and Bob F didn't get a reply from the OP. I guess
his mind is made up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I saw a message, "I admire your honesty" until you are honest with them
and then you are an asshole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Ed, sorry I am really new to this type of thing. What do you mean by a synthetic 2 x 4? Thanks for the thought on the gunk building up underneath, something I hadnt considered. I am just trying to understand how to keep the wood off the concrete slab and what approach would be best? Cheers

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...b-3086014-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Something like this underneath the joists? https://www.bunnings.com.au/macsim-6...asher_p1101098

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...b-3086014-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2021 7:31 PM, Ethan Brown wrote:
Hi Ed, sorry I am really new to this type of thing. What do you mean by
a synthetic 2 x 4? Thanks for the thought on the gunk building up
underneath, something I hadnt considered. I am just trying to
understand how to keep the wood off the concrete slab and what approach
would be best? Cheers

Right, synthetic
https://www.markstaar.com/2-x-4-x-8-...mber-2496.html

Even pressure treated on concrete will deteriorate over time.
Depending on cost and height needed you could double up on Trex.

If you plan to move in five years, most anything will work but if it is
long term, go for rot proof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

First time poster and not a builder. Just wondering if the below is possible:

I want to deck over our front porch (~1m x 4m). The porch is currently tiled over a concrete slab. I was thinking of laying joists over the top and then decking on top of that; however, I was wondering if you can lay joists down so they aren’t as tall? I understand that this will make the deck less stable in a normal circumstance, but will this be the same as the concrete slab is already there? If I have the joists standing upright then it will be too tall for our entry way.

Thoughts?

frame around the concrete with upright 2X, lay strips on top of the
concrete, separated from the concrete with a membrane - roofing paper
or whatever, then lay the decking on top. about 1/6 of my front porch
is constructed this way over the original pre-cast "stoop"
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

My deck-over is trex and is virtually totally maintenance free - and
not as slippery or "hard" as concrete, or worse yet - tile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2021 4:15 PM, Ethan Brown wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I can see how the water could be an issue. What if
I attached the joists to the concrete with angle brackets? Would this
keep the water off the wood and allow for it to flow out naturally? It
is underneath a roof and generally doesnt get much water as is, but
better safe than sorry. Cheers

The roof is an advantage but moisture still plays a role.

The bracket will work providing it keeps the wood off the concrete.
Something like this is the idea...

https://external-content.duckduckgo....9&f=1& nofb=1

https://www.demak.com.au/wp-content/...o1-294x165.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2021 7:32 PM, Hawk wrote:
On 1/6/2021 4:15 PM, Ethan Brown wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I can see how the water could be an issue. What
if I attached the joists to the concrete with angle brackets? Would
this keep the water off the wood and allow for it to flow out
naturally? It is underneath a roof and generally doesnt get much
water as is, but better safe than sorry. Cheers

The roof is an advantage but moisture still plays a role.

The bracket will work providing it keeps the wood off the concrete.
Something like this is the idea...

https://external-content.duckduckgo....9&f=1& nofb=1

https://www.demak.com.au/wp-content/...o1-294x165.jpg

Something like that would perhaps make it possible to hose or blow out
the crud that builds up and holds moisture to cause rot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 20:45:44 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/6/2021 7:31 PM, Ethan Brown wrote:
Hi Ed, sorry I am really new to this type of thing. What do you mean by
a synthetic 2 x 4? Thanks for the thought on the gunk building up
underneath, something I hadnt considered. I am just trying to
understand how to keep the wood off the concrete slab and what approach
would be best? Cheers

Right, synthetic
https://www.markstaar.com/2-x-4-x-8-...mber-2496.html

Even pressure treated on concrete will deteriorate over time.
Depending on cost and height needed you could double up on Trex.

You can get 1 1/2" trex at a real lumber yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all for the insights. I have a lot to think about and will most definitely take into consideration all of your suggestions. Cheers

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...b-3086014-.htm