Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Decking over a tile / concrete slab

On 1/6/21 10:03 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, January 6, 2021 at 9:45:10 AM UTC-5, Ethan Brown wrote:
First time poster and not a builder. Just wondering if the below is possible:

I want to deck over our front porch (~1m x 4m). The porch is currently tiled over a concrete slab. I was thinking of laying joists over the top and then decking on top of that; however, I was wondering if you can lay joists down so they arent as tall? I understand that this will make the deck less stable in a normal circumstance, but will this be the same as the concrete slab is already there? If I have the joists standing upright then it will be too tall for our entry way.

Thoughts?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...b-3086014-.htm

Yes, since the slab is supporting the wood, the joists do not have to be as wide, even
a couple inches would be enough. You can anchor each joist to the slab in a few spots
for stability, keep them from moving, etc. I hope it has some pitch in the right direction
so water doesn't pool up under there.

Maybe the OP could run the joists to allow for water drainage if
he doesn't care how the deck boards are run.
I was trying to think of an alternative to wooden joists depending
on how much higher he wants the deck to be.