Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Decking over a tile / concrete slab

On Wednesday, January 6, 2021 at 9:45:10 AM UTC-5, Ethan Brown wrote:
First time poster and not a builder. Just wondering if the below is possible:

I want to deck over our front porch (~1m x 4m). The porch is currently tiled over a concrete slab. I was thinking of laying joists over the top and then decking on top of that; however, I was wondering if you can lay joists down so they arent as tall? I understand that this will make the deck less stable in a normal circumstance, but will this be the same as the concrete slab is already there? If I have the joists standing upright then it will be too tall for our entry way.

Thoughts?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...b-3086014-.htm

Yes, since the slab is supporting the wood, the joists do not have to be as wide, even
a couple inches would be enough. You can anchor each joist to the slab in a few spots
for stability, keep them from moving, etc. I hope it has some pitch in the right direction
so water doesn't pool up under there.