Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New concrete slab on top on old thin slab

My workshop has a lower floor level at the far end.
It was a single car size garage with a 2.2 m long extention added to
the back.
When the then owner build the extension he only laid a 30 to 40 mm
thick (if that) concrete floor with a 60 degree slope up to the
existing floor slab.
As i have a few machine tools that really need a thicker ( and more
flat) floor, what is my best option for pouring more concrete over
this thinner floor.
The area is 2.5m by 2.2 m and to make level with the rest of the
workshop needs 75mm extra depth.
It has also broke about 20 cm from the end of the workshop about 3/4
of the way across and must be dipping about 20 mm.
Can i just pour extra concrete on top of the old floor to bring it up
to height and tamp it down an smooth off. I did use a floor paint a
few years ago which is still mostly there.
Thanks for any answers

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
[...]

Generally new concrete won't stick to old - and in your case, things are
even more difficult with the existing concrete starting to break up, which
could seriousl affect the new stuff.

In my experience I really would advise that you break the old stuff up and
relay the whole floor (presuming the garage has separate footings and not
build on top of old floor). That way, you eradicate any future problems,
you can lay any electrical (or other connections) under-floor in conduit,
make it non-slip - and you know the floor is level and safe to use.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 19, 8:01*pm, Mike wrote:
[...]

If 3" is enough, you could pour 3" on, but 4" is stronger. 3+1 is not
4 in this case, its just 3.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mike wrote:
[...]

If the original concrete really is 40mm thick and covered with paint, I
would agree. I'd have a different opinion if the original was 4"+ thick, but
there's so little of the original it would be relatively little effort to
remove it.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

decide where the relevant machinery is to be installed. Dig out an area of
the existing floor about a foot larger all round. Install a 1" thick rubber
"case" for the new floor and make it whatever thickness you need.
This will provide a good standing for the machinery and a non-vibration
isolation to the rest of the existing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

Whip out the 40mm thin slab, then re-lay to height. This gives you a
reasonable thickness at the height you want.

AWEM