Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Decking over a tile / concrete slab

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 14:45:02 +0000, Ethan Brown
wrote:

First time poster and not a builder. Just wondering if the below is possible:
I want to deck over our front porch (~1m x 4m).
The porch is currently tiled over a concrete slab.
I was thinking of laying joists over the top and then decking on top of that;
however, I was wondering if you can lay joists down so they aren’t as tall?
I understand that this will make the deck less stable in a normal circumstance,
but will this be the same as the concrete slab is already there?
If I have the joists standing upright then it will be too tall for our entry way.
Thoughts?

I wouldn't call them joists - more like levelling strips or spacers.
Why not synthetic decking directly on the tiles ?
John T.