Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Percentage of Americans owning guns

and other lies the media tells.

Here is the CBS article about it and this is what they say about
Florida
*******
Florida comes in at number 30, with 10.2 guns for every 1,000
residents. That's a staggering 199,828 registered firearms dispersed
among 19,552,860 people.
*******

OK so we have ~200,000 guns here. (hardy a staggering number) Why are
there 1.5 MILLION concealed firearm permits? That implies at least 1.5
million handguns in 1.5 million separate people's hands. Does anyone
else see a problem with this "study"? That wouldn't even include long
guns and Bob thinks we all have 30.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/most-heavily-armed-states-in-america/23/?ftag=ACQ449302a&vndid=5baa838be4b0867006a32067

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2020 03:22 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...
nd other lies the media tells.

Here is the CBS article about it and this is what they say about
Florida
*******
Florida comes in at number 30, with 10.2 guns for every 1,000
residents. That's a staggering 199,828 registered firearms dispersed
among 19,552,860 people.
*******

OK so we have ~200,000 guns here. (hardy a staggering number) Why are
there 1.5 MILLION concealed firearm permits? That implies at least 1.5
million handguns in 1.5 million separate people's hands. Does anyone
else see a problem with this "study"? That wouldn't even include long
guns and Bob thinks we all have 30.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/most-heavily-armed-states-in-america/23/?ftag=ACQ449302a&vndid=5baa838be4b0867006a32067

What is a registered firearm ? Outside of machine guns and some few
other full automatic and special guns I don't know what would be
registered. Cbsnews says they are not counting pistols.

This just sounds like another bS artical.

If they think there are 11,461 'registered' firearms in Montana they're
going to get a hell of a surprise. Or they may be counting the NFA
registered machine guns, SBRs, silencers, and destructive devices. That
I could believe.

The Montana Shooting Sports Association estimated 23 firearms per
household. I always thought that was high or I'm a slacker. The firearm
ownership is supposed to be over 50% and that I could believe.

Molon labe, Joe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 10:13:11 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

The Montana Shooting Sports Association estimated 23 firearms per
household. I always thought that was high or I'm a slacker. The firearm
ownership is supposed to be over 50% and that I could believe.

Molon labe, Joe.

On a per capita basis the US has one of the higher death rates from firearms.

But on a per firearm basis, the US may be the safest country in the world. Fewer US firearms are ever used to kill anyone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2020 06:25 AM, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 10:13:11 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

The Montana Shooting Sports Association estimated 23 firearms per
household. I always thought that was high or I'm a slacker. The firearm
ownership is supposed to be over 50% and that I could believe.

Molon labe, Joe.

On a per capita basis the US has one of the higher death rates from firearms.

But on a per firearm basis, the US may be the safest country in the world. Fewer US firearms are ever used to kill anyone.

The problem is 'the US'. This state's statistics are equivalent to the
neighboring province of Alberta but we don't have the busy weekends that
Chicago has.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2020 5:25 AM, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 10:13:11 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

The Montana Shooting Sports Association estimated 23 firearms per
household. I always thought that was high or I'm a slacker. The firearm
ownership is supposed to be over 50% and that I could believe.

Molon labe, Joe.

On a per capita basis the US has one of the higher death rates from firearms.

But on a per firearm basis, the US may be the safest country in the world. Fewer US firearms are ever used to kill anyone.

How many firearms does it take to kill one person? I always thought it
take many.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2020 9:15 AM, Bob F wrote:
On 10/16/2020 5:25 AM, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 10:13:11 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

The Montana Shooting Sports Association estimated 23 firearms per
household. I always thought that was high or I'm a slacker. The firearm
ownership is supposed to be over 50% and that I could believe.

Molon labe, Joe.

On a per capita basis the US has one of the higher death rates from
firearms.

But on a per firearm basis, the US may be the safest country in the
world.Â* Fewer US firearms are ever used to kill anyone.

How many firearms does it take to kill one person? I always thought it
take many.

did not take many.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 17:22:08 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...
[...]

Exactly but guys like Bob will cite it as gospel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 09:16:08 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 10/16/2020 9:15 AM, Bob F wrote:
On 10/16/2020 5:25 AM, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 10:13:11 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

The Montana Shooting Sports Association estimated 23 firearms per
household. I always thought that was high or I'm a slacker. The firearm
ownership is supposed to be over 50% and that I could believe.

Molon labe, Joe.

On a per capita basis the US has one of the higher death rates from
firearms.

But on a per firearm basis, the US may be the safest country in the
world.Â* Fewer US firearms are ever used to kill anyone.

How many firearms does it take to kill one person? I always thought it
take many.

did not take many.

Pretty much the same as how many knives (1515 murders) or blunt
objects (443 murders) it takes.

The strange thing is you folks have your knickers in a knot about
"assault rifles" but more people are killed with bare hands (572) than
die from rifles, all kinds, including the "assault" ones (297).

Source 2018 FBI UCR
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8.xls

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 13:46:26 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 10/16/2020 1:01 PM, wrote:
[...]

Then look at the numbers for mass murders. 1 person killing dozens
doesn't happen often with fists or knives.

It is also an insignificant number of the murders but I suppose if you
are a racist, you would point out these are white kids so they matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

So, you are admitting you are racist?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You were the one putting more weight on white lives than black. I find
the murders equally bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You brought up the race issue. I said nothing about it.

Thanks for making your racism so clear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It was obvious. A dozen black kids get shot in Baltimore or Chicago on
any given weekend and you ignore it but a few white kids get shot and
it is a national emergency. What else can you call it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It was obvious to a racist. I never said anything of the sort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You are the one who said "Then look at the numbers for mass murders."

I am just pointing out, that is an insignificant part of our national
murder toll and if you don't see that, black lives don't matter to
you.
I understand calling someone is a racist is your go to tactic, no
matter what, but it is misplaced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Again, you were the only one talking about racism. Your idiotic
attempts to place those word in my statement is purely your idiocy. YOU
brought up racism. I was talking about guns.

Exactly where in "Then look at the numbers for mass murders." is the
word or suggestion of racism. It is only in your simple little mind.

You really are a moron.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2020 2:50 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 18:01:05 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 13:46:26 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Source 2018 FBI UCR
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8.xls

Then look at the numbers for mass murders. 1 person killing dozens
doesn't happen often with fists or knives.

It is also an insignificant number of the murders but I suppose if you
are a racist, you would point out these are white kids so they matter.

it's only insignificant if you are not the one getting murdered.

The chance of anyone being murdered who is not living in the ghetto is
pretty insignificant and if you are murdered in Leave it to Beaver
land, it is probably someone you live with doing it.

These "active shooter" things average down around the number of people
hit by lightning. (27 a year killed and 243 injured in an average
year)
source National weather service
https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-odds

In fact in spite of the assault rifle hype, most people killed by
rifles are not killed by an assault rifle since it is usually a
hunting accident where magazine capacity is typically limited to 4+1.
The rifle is as likely to be a bolt action as an SA.

Banning ARs is not going to do much to the murder rate.

It's not about the murder rate , it's about the ease of subjugation
.... personally I'd be more afraid of a hillbilly with his favorite squrl
rafle .
--
Snag
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2020 12:50 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 18:01:05 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 13:46:26 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Source 2018 FBI UCR
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8.xls

Then look at the numbers for mass murders. 1 person killing dozens
doesn't happen often with fists or knives.

It is also an insignificant number of the murders but I suppose if you
are a racist, you would point out these are white kids so they matter.

it's only insignificant if you are not the one getting murdered.

The chance of anyone being murdered who is not living in the ghetto is
pretty insignificant and if you are murdered in Leave it to Beaver
land, it is probably someone you live with doing it.

LOL! Your lunacy is incredible.

So, It is OK for someone you live with to murder you? That just doesn't
count.

And why do you need guns if you don't live in a ghetto. There is almost
no chance of anyone murdering you, by your own words.

These "active shooter" things average down around the number of people
hit by lightning. (27 a year killed and 243 injured in an average
year)
source National weather service
https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-odds

In fact in spite of the assault rifle hype, most people killed by
rifles are not killed by an assault rifle since it is usually a
hunting accident where magazine capacity is typically limited to 4+1.
The rifle is as likely to be a bolt action as an SA.

Banning ARs is not going to do much to the murder rate.

Banning weapons of war would drastically reduce the ability of 1 person
to murder dozens in seconds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Name calling and ad hominem attacks are the last refuge for people who
can't handle the truth.
You are right down there in the gutter with Rod/##.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Use of assault weapons or any kind rifle is insignificant compared to
pistols:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...y-weapon-used/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 13:21:11 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 10/17/2020 12:50 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 18:01:05 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 13:46:26 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Source 2018 FBI UCR
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8.xls

Then look at the numbers for mass murders. 1 person killing dozens
doesn't happen often with fists or knives.

It is also an insignificant number of the murders but I suppose if you
are a racist, you would point out these are white kids so they matter.

it's only insignificant if you are not the one getting murdered.

The chance of anyone being murdered who is not living in the ghetto is
pretty insignificant and if you are murdered in Leave it to Beaver
land, it is probably someone you live with doing it.

LOL! Your lunacy is incredible.

Not my lunacy, it is the FBI saying that.
Have you ever actually looked at the UCR and understood what you were
looking at?
How many homicide cops have you known?

So, It is OK for someone you live with to murder you? That just doesn't
count.

And why do you need guns if you don't live in a ghetto. There is almost
no chance of anyone murdering you, by your own words.

There are other uses for guns other than simply shooting people but I
would not expect you to understand that.

These "active shooter" things average down around the number of people
hit by lightning. (27 a year killed and 243 injured in an average
year)
source National weather service
https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-odds

In fact in spite of the assault rifle hype, most people killed by
rifles are not killed by an assault rifle since it is usually a
hunting accident where magazine capacity is typically limited to 4+1.
The rifle is as likely to be a bolt action as an SA.

Banning ARs is not going to do much to the murder rate.

Banning weapons of war would drastically reduce the ability of 1 person
to murder dozens in seconds.

These are not weapons of war but I doubt I could explain the
difference to you.
You are still spending a lot of effort trying to address 0.18% of the
murders here. (30 out of 16,425 in 2019). In fact even if you want to
talk about those "active shooters", 52% used handguns, not "weapons of
war".

I know you hate statistics but that is what they say.
https://www.thetrace.org/rounds/mass...gun-type-data/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-us-by-state/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

LOL!

You are beyond hope.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2020 4:06 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 13:21:11 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 10/17/2020 12:50 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 18:01:05 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
[...]

Have you ever documented even one of your made up "facts"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/20 12:32 AM, Bob F wrote:
Having a gun in your house drastically increases the chance someone in the house will die from a gun shot.

The democrats are defunding police and releasing criminals from prison.

Having a gun or three greatly increases my chances of surviving a home invasion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 12:32:19 AM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:

Having a gun in your house drastically increases the chance someone in
the house will die from a gun shot.

Yet I'm not afraid of my husband's guns. He keeps them locked up except when
he's cleaning them or preparing to go to the range.

There are more gun suicides than gun homicides in America.

Let 'em go. Anybody who wants to kill themselves deserves the best possible
chance of succeeding.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Every year in the US there are roughly 14,000 homicides and 22,000 suicides by gun.

Of those, a little less than 1/4 % of homicides and 1/10 % of suicides are by assault rifle, but banning assault rifles is widely seen as the solution to the murder rate.

I don't like to accuse people of being racist without knowing them, but it really does seem like the reasoning here is to ban the types of guns that are most scary to white people. I would suspect that people of color are more likely to be shot with 9 mm handguns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2020 7:47 AM, TimR wrote:
Every year in the US there are roughly 14,000 homicides and 22,000 suicides by gun.

Of those, a little less than 1/4 % of homicides and 1/10 % of suicides are by assault rifle, but banning assault rifles is widely seen as the solution to the murder rate.

I don't like to accuse people of being racist without knowing them, but it really does seem like the reasoning here is to ban the types of guns that are most scary to white people. I would suspect that people of color are more likely to be shot with 9 mm handguns.

Right and more people are killed by hammers and other blunt instruments
then so called assault rifles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR writes:

Every year in the US there are roughly 14,000 homicides and 22,000
suicides by gun.

Of those, a little less than 1/4 % of homicides and 1/10 % of suicides
are by assault rifle, but banning assault rifles is widely seen as the
solution to the murder rate.

Probably because some Americans don't like the idea of someone
walking through a school with an assault weapon shooting everyone in
sight.

I don't like to accuse people of being racist without knowing them,
but it really does seem like the reasoning here is to ban the types of
guns that are most scary to white people. I would suspect that people
of color are more likely to be shot with 9 mm handguns.

Yeah, some Americans are funny that way. Lots of people shot one at a
time, not real upsetting. A school full of children and everyone gets
upset.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

Having a gun in your house drastically increases the chance someone in
the house will die from a gun shot.

There are more gun suicides than gun homicides in America.
https://www.vox.com/2015/10/1/180005...ide-comparison

While throwing out numbers depending on which study in the US there are
200,000 to 400,000 deaths caused by medical mistakes every year. Seems
to me that more effort should be put into a study of those deaths.