Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Declining percentage of households that report gun ownership

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 2:41:52 AM UTC-4, Rudy Canoza wrote:

The percentage of households that report gun ownership is declining, and
it is not explained by fatuous and wholly unsupported claims that survey
respondents have begun "lying" about gun ownership. There is no
evidence that survey respondents have begun lying at increasing rates,
which would have to be the case to explain away the fall *other* than by
accepting that the fall is real.

What survey? Conducted by whom? What was the previous survey and who conducted it. Who paid for the surveys. How many people did the survey contact. What is the actual numbers. WHat is the confidence of the surveys? Come on, post something that is possible to verify. As far as I can tell you made up the whole post and there were no surveys. And you did not say what the supposed decline was. Was it one half of one percent?

Go away and come back with something on topic.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 10:10:17 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:
..

So if there are numerous surveys, why can you not cite at least one.

Dan

Here's three separate ones one link:

https://gunculture2point0.wordpress....erica-today---

have-guns/

--

Ed Huntress

Ah skucks. The idea was to get Rudy to expend some effort so he would have less time to post OT stuff. I really do not care about how many households have guns.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/18/2017 10:48 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 10:10:17 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:

On 11/17/2017 6:00 PM, Rudy Canoza wrote:
On 11/17/2017 5:53 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Why are you responding to a two and a half year old post with whiny
petulant bull****?

Surveys on gun ownership are undertaken by numerous public opinion
survey institutions. They all show the same thing: the percentage of
the population that owns guns is falling.

So if there are numerous surveys, why can you not cite at least one.

Dan

Here's three separate ones one link:

https://gunculture2point0.wordpress....erica-today---

have-guns/

--

Ed Huntress

Ah skucks. The idea was to get Rudy to expend some effort so he would have less time to post OT stuff.

chuckle Took me all of three minutes to find one post - out of
several - in which I elaborated on and identified surveys of gun ownership.

You're such a chump.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 2:03:23 PM UTC-5, Rudy Canoza wrote:
On 11/18/2017 10:48 AM, wrote:

So if there are numerous surveys, why can you not cite at least one.

Dan

chuckle Took me all of three minutes to find one post - out of
several - in which I elaborated on and identified surveys of gun ownership.

You're such a chump.

And yet you have posted no cites. What an ignorant poster.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/18/2017 7:10 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 05:21:16 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 9:00:57 PM UTC-5, Rudy Canoza wrote:
On 11/17/2017 5:53 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 2:41:52 AM UTC-4, Rudy Canoza wrote:

Why are you responding to a two and a half year old post with whiny
petulant bull****?

Surveys on gun ownership are undertaken by numerous public opinion
survey institutions. They all show the same thing: the percentage of
the population that owns guns is falling.

So if there are numerous surveys, why can you not cite at least one.

Dan

Here's three separate ones one link:

https://gunculture2point0.wordpress....day-have-guns/

Surveys compile the percentage of households who ADMIT to owning a gun.
Not quite the same thing.
I surmise that the current frenzy over gun ownership makes it less likely
for someone to ADMIT gun ownership.
Survey is USELESS.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/17/2017 5:53 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 2:41:52 AM UTC-4, Rudy Canoza wrote:

Why are you responding to a two and a half year old post with whiny
petulant bull****?

Surveys on gun ownership are undertaken by numerous public opinion
survey institutions. They all show the same thing: the percentage of
the population that owns guns is falling.

So if there are numerous surveys, why can you not cite at least one.

Dan

Here's three separate ones one link:

https://gunculture2point0.wordpress....day-have-guns/

Surveys compile the percentage of households who ADMIT to owning a gun.
Not quite the same thing.

Prove it.

I surmise that the current frenzy over gun ownership makes it less likely
for someone to ADMIT gun ownership.
Survey is USELESS.

Only because it doesn't say what you want it to say. If it did, you'd
say it was unequivocal.

Surmise what you want.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 22:23:20 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Maybe having one is becoming more private than in years back...

There was a project run a few years ago in which this point was
tested. They surveyed people with CCWs on gun issues, without telling
the respondants that they (the researchers) knew they had a gun. In
fact, the questioners didn't know their subjects had a gun. Only the
survey managers did.

They were testing to see how many would lie when asked if anyone in
their home had a gun. The total of "lies/forget/don't know" responses
was either 4% or maybe 6%; I forget.

In other words, people don't lie about it.

On 11/17/2017 5:53 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 2:41:52 AM UTC-4, Rudy Canoza wrote:

Why are you responding to a two and a half year old post with whiny
petulant bull****?

Surveys on gun ownership are undertaken by numerous public opinion
survey institutions. They all show the same thing: the percentage of
the population that owns guns is falling.

So if there are numerous surveys, why can you not cite at least one.

Dan

Here's three separate ones one link:

https://gunculture2point0.wordpress....day-have-guns/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Maybe having one is becoming more private than in years back...

There was a project run a few years ago in which this point was
tested. They surveyed people with CCWs on gun issues, without
telling
the respondants that they (the researchers) knew they had a gun. In
fact, the questioners didn't know their subjects had a gun. Only the
survey managers did.

They were testing to see how many would lie when asked if anyone in
their home had a gun. The total of "lies/forget/don't know"
was either 4% or maybe 6%; I forget.

In other words, people don't lie about it.

That only proves CCW holders don't mind revealing information the
government already possesses, and says -nothing- about other people.
Your logic is unusually sloppy here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/17/2017 5:53 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 2:41:52 AM UTC-4, Rudy Canoza wrote:

Why are you responding to a two and a half year old post with whiny
petulant bull****?

Surveys on gun ownership are undertaken by numerous public opinion
survey institutions. They all show the same thing: the percentage of
the population that owns guns is falling.

So if there are numerous surveys, why can you not cite at least one.

Dan

Here's three separate ones one link:

https://gunculture2point0.wordpress....day-have-guns/

No one I know will admit to owning firearms on the phone. Yet I know
at least 5 families that now have firearms that never did before.

Seems the "canoing accident" theme has taken hold.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 07:41:38 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Maybe having one is becoming more private than in years back...

There was a project run a few years ago in which this point was
tested. They surveyed people with CCWs on gun issues, without
telling
the respondants that they (the researchers) knew they had a gun. In
fact, the questioners didn't know their subjects had a gun. Only the
survey managers did.

They were testing to see how many would lie when asked if anyone in
their home had a gun. The total of "lies/forget/don't know"
was either 4% or maybe 6%; I forget.

In other words, people don't lie about it.

That only proves CCW holders don't mind revealing information the
government already possesses, and says -nothing- about other people.
Your logic is unusually sloppy here.

"My" logic? By what logic do you conclude that CCW holders tell the
truth, while other gun owners are liars?

There isn't any. This was a double-blind test -- neither the pollster
nor the subject knew that they were chosen from a CCW database.

Now, to complicate the issue, Zogby Analytics dealt with the question
from another angle in a survey they did in 2015. They asked "If a
national pollster asked you if you owned a firearm, would you
determine to tell him or her the truth or would you feel it was none
of their business?"

It turns out that was a bad question, for this reason: 36% of total
survey respondants answered in the negative. But 35% of those who had
already told the pollster they DO have a gun also answered in the
negative!

http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com/...4af529b00_.pdf

So which question were they answering -- whether they would tell the
truth, or whether they just think it's none of the pollster's
business?

This was pretty weird, coming from Zogby, which is right-leaning but
also very high-quality pollster.

I have no dog in this fight, but here's my working conclusion: Based
on the Zogby study, it appears that admitted gun owners have the same
reaction as others to the question, and that, despite their negative
reaction to the two-part question, they're telling the truth. In fact,
they already did admit they have a gun. But they also think it's
nobody's business -- even though they admitted to the pollster that
they have guns.

Based on that, I see no reason to believe that CCW holders are more or
less honest about it than other gun owners. In such a double-blind
study, conducted by independent pollsters, they have no knowledge of
whether the pollster knows they own guns. And they were something like
94% thruthful about owning a gun.

Your reaction is the same one I've seen for years, because this has
come up on RCM several times. Your response is anecdotal. You also
have no way of knowing if the honesty of responses has changed over
the years, as far as I know, because I've looked far and wide for
previous studies like the Zogby study, and have come up empty. If you
know of some comparison over time, one that's scientific and not just
based on anecdotes, please let us know.

If we are going to consider anecdotes, the decline in ownership agrees
with my experience.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

What the pollster knows is an irrelevant distraction. The CCW holder
knows they are already in the police file of actual or potential gun
owners. They have little to lose by being truthful to the pollster,
even if they suspect the pollster will report them to the police.
Non-CCW holders risk losing their anonymity.

You unjustifiably assume that people who expect to qualify for a CCW
necessarily behave the same as people who don't. A CCW is a judgement
that the holder can be trusted with a concealed weapon in public,
similar to a security clearance that divides people who (hopefully)
can be trusted with secrets from those who shouldn't. The difference
is whether the local police or a federal agent questions your
neighbors.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Aha. I thought you knew something about polling. If you're interested,
find out about double-blind studies, and why they're done that way.

The CCW holder
knows they are already in the police file of actual or potential gun
owners.

A "police file"? We're talking here about private, independent
pollsters, who were running a multi-question social-issues poll.

They have little to lose by being truthful to the pollster...

Neither does anyone else, especially if you care about evidence.

even if they suspect the pollster will report them to the police.

What would they report? That someone has a gun?

Non-CCW holders risk losing their anonymity.

It didn't seem to bother the gun owners in the Zogby poll. Nor is
there any evidence that the percentage who would lie has changed over
time.

And if it hasn't, the polls showing a decline in percentage of gun
owners are quite accurate, especially because multiple polls,
conducted in difference ways by different pollsters (including the
General Social Survey) keep showing the same results.

You unjustifiably assume that people who expect to qualify for a CCW
necessarily behave the same as people who don't. A CCW is a judgement
that the holder can be trusted with a concealed weapon in public,
similar to a security clearance that divides people who (hopefully)
can be trusted with secrets from those who shouldn't. The difference
is whether the local police or a federal agent questions your
neighbors.

I assume nothing. I've read the polls, including the Zogby poll, which
showed the same levels among acknowledged gun owners and others.

You're really reaching around the barn to find some way to confound
evidence that you don't like, Jim. You're like a lawyer trying to
discredit a witness on specious grounds.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They regretted their hasty answer. The "pollsters" might have been
burglars. We've been warned about fake utility employees.
https://getsafe.com/are-burglars-cas...me-four-scams/

Based on that, I see no reason to believe that CCW holders are more
or
less honest about it than other gun owners. In such a double-blind
study, conducted by independent pollsters, they have no knowledge of
whether the pollster knows they own guns. And they were something
like
94% thruthful about owning a gun.

CCW holders are a self-selected group who expected to pass a
background check, not a random sample.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The CCW holder
knows they are already in the police file of actual or potential gun
owners.

A "police file"? We're talking here about private, independent
pollsters, who were running a multi-question social-issues poll.

The laptop in the cruiser brings up CCW information when you type in
an address, that "police file".

You keep pretending that what the pollster knows or doesn't affects
what sensitive personal information a security-conscious individual is
willing to risk sharing with a stranger.

Don't forget that expert professional surveys gave Hillary the
election.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/politi...htmlstory.html
"Overall, SurveyMonkey estimates Clinton's chances of winning at 96%."
We know the election was fair because the Dems assured us there was no
voter fraud.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh, Jesus. Now you're a mind reader.

The "pollsters" might have been
burglars. We've been warned about fake utility employees.
https://getsafe.com/are-burglars-cas...me-four-scams/

You never know. Did you say you live in Paranoia, NH?

Based on that, I see no reason to believe that CCW holders are more
or
less honest about it than other gun owners. In such a double-blind
study, conducted by independent pollsters, they have no knowledge of
whether the pollster knows they own guns. And they were something
like
94% thruthful about owning a gun.

CCW holders are a self-selected group who expected to pass a
background check, not a random sample.
-jsw

For this study, they were added to a random sample, which served at
the control group, to tune out the bias to the interviewers that would
come from everyone saying they had guns.

They were coded and only the poll administrators had the data
connecting the numbers to the data. Nobody had the names after the
list was coded.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The CCW holder
knows they are already in the police file of actual or potential gun
owners.

A "police file"? We're talking here about private, independent
pollsters, who were running a multi-question social-issues poll.

The laptop in the cruiser brings up CCW information when you type in
an address, that "police file".

But what does that have to do with an independent social-issues poll?
The records are private in most states:

http://www.concealedcarryfans.com/co...public-record/

You keep pretending that what the pollster knows or doesn't affects
what sensitive personal information a security-conscious individual is
willing to risk sharing with a stranger.

I'm not pretending anything. I reported the data from the Zogby poll.
Did you look at it? I even provided a link.

Don't forget that expert professional surveys gave Hillary the
election.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/politi...htmlstory.html
"Overall, SurveyMonkey estimates Clinton's chances of winning at 96%."
We know the election was fair because the Dems assured us there was no
voter fraud.
-jsw

You sould read better sources. Clinton finished, the day before the
election, with a 3.2% popular-vote poll advantage:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...nson-5949.html

She won the popular vote by 2.1%.

Getting it right to 1.1%, nationwide, with results close to 50%, is
spectacularly good poll accuracy.

Once the numbnuts got ahold of it, though, they totally screwed up the
reporting on poll accuracy.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 21:00:59 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

Then we follow the FBI, and not the various polls. OK?

I've been using FBI/UCR data since the days I had to go to a major
library and look the numbers up on computer printouts. I can't think
of any contradictions between the FBI and the Zogby poll linked to
above.

The Zogby poll cited just above says nothing about the trends in the US gun
inventory, increasing or decreasing.

When we disciussed this in 2016, the cited polls claimed decrease; this is
directly contradicted by the FBI data. In round numbers, it was 30 million
new guns per year, adding to an existing inventory of order 300 million guns,
or 10% increase per year. I give the FBI far more weight than any poll.

Joe Gwinn

But...but...but its only a few old gun owners adding to their
stockpile of nasty people killer weapons that are buying that 30
million guns a year!!!

Snerk!

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You have three problems with that, Gunner. First, I don't remember any
year reaching 30 million. Maybe, but I don't think so. The number
reported by the FBI for 2015 was 15.2 million.

Second, the number confiscated, lost, or damaged and destroyed is
enough to keep the total down, or we'd have well over a billion guns
by now. I don't think so.

Third, the average number of guns owned per gun owner HAS gone up, but
I'm not going looking for the statistics on that.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 21:00:59 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

On Nov 20, 2017, Ed Huntress wrote
(in ):

big snip

BTW, here are the stats on gun sales and a few other things in very
compact, graphical form, from ATF, FBI, GSS, etc.:

https://www.npr.org/2016/01/05/46201...by-the-numbers

The total was only 3 million in 2001. The record was 27 million,
reached in 2016. Sales are off by something like 25% in 2017.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 10:35:21 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

That only proves CCW holders don't mind revealing information the
government already possesses, and says -nothing- about other people.
Your logic is unusually sloppy here.

"My" logic? By what logic do you conclude that CCW holders tell the
truth,
while other gun owners are liars?

There isn't any. This was a double-blind test -- neither the pollster
nor the subject knew that they were chosen from a CCW database

Jim has a point that CCWs are a biased sample. Try this
Gedankenexperimant: what if they asked convicted felons instead of CCWs?
They would have to answer NO, regardless of whether they have the gun at
home or not.

Having said that, I suspect that CCWs are much more consistent on this
point with the general population than CFs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 01:07:34 -0000 (UTC), Przemek Klosowski
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 10:35:21 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

That only proves CCW holders don't mind revealing information the
government already possesses, and says -nothing- about other people.
Your logic is unusually sloppy here.

"My" logic? By what logic do you conclude that CCW holders tell the
truth,
while other gun owners are liars?

There isn't any. This was a double-blind test -- neither the pollster
nor the subject knew that they were chosen from a CCW database

Jim has a point that CCWs are a biased sample.

There is a potential for bias. Further comments in this thread
indicate that there probably wasn't any actual bias.

Try this
Gedankenexperimant: what if they asked convicted felons instead of CCWs?
They would have to answer NO, regardless of whether they have the gun at
home or not.

Convicted felons have nothing to do with the research results we were
talking about. The bias there is based on a risk of being jailed. The
incentive there is 'way over the top.

Having said that, I suspect that CCWs are much more consistent on this
point with the general population than CFs

No doubt. g

When social-science researchers look for potential bias, and try to
design tests to measure it, they separate cases where there is an
obvious or likely incentive for bias, from those that have no such
known motive or incentive. Very often, the "obvious" bias turns out to
be nonexistent, in terms of results. The problems tend to fall on
those that indicate a bias, and a correlation that goes with the bias,
but no obvious reason for it.

That can make survey designers tear their hair out. But if they can
measure and predict it, it doesn't affect the results.

It's a neat and satisfying field for very smart people who have good
insights. I used to live a few blocks from the Gallup and Public
Opinion Research offices in Princeton, NJ, and the sons and daughters
of workers there, who were my high school classmates, were some of the
brainiest people I've ever known.

--
Ed Huntress