Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remove curls from garden hose

I am having a hard time getting my hose in shape to hang up, but the curls in it are making that hard.

I did a search for removing curls from a garden hose, but did not find much.

Is there a way of removing the curls?

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/08/2020 18:05, AK wrote:

I am having a hard time getting my hose in shape to hang up, but the curls in it are making that hard.

I did a search for removing curls from a garden hose, but did not find much.

Is there a way of removing the curls?

Andy

No, buy a thick rubber type one, they don't curl up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/20 12:05 PM, AK wrote:

I am having a hard time getting my hose in shape to hang up, but the curls in it are making that hard.

I did a search for removing curls from a garden hose, but did not find much.

Is there a way of removing the curls?

Andy

I haven't tried this but......................
Can you unroll it as much as possible, then air it up with a
compressor close to the hose's maximum pressure?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 18:15:13 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 06/08/2020 18:05, AK wrote:

I am having a hard time getting my hose in shape to hang up, but the curls in it are making that hard.
I did a search for removing curls from a garden hose, but did not find much.
Is there a way of removing the curls?
Andy

No, buy a thick rubber type one, they don't curl up.

+ 1
Also, hang it up in large loops ; drained of water.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 12:22:11 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/6/20 12:05 PM, AK wrote:

I am having a hard time getting my hose in shape to hang up, but the curls in it are making that hard.

I did a search for removing curls from a garden hose, but did not find much.

Is there a way of removing the curls?

Andy

I haven't tried this but......................
Can you unroll it as much as possible, then air it up with a
compressor close to the hose's maximum pressure?

How can you air up a water hose with an air compressor?

The fittings are incompatible.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/20 1:05 PM, AK wrote:

I am having a hard time getting my hose in shape to hang up, but the curls in it are making that hard.

I did a search for removing curls from a garden hose, but did not find much.

Is there a way of removing the curls?

Andy

Lay it out in the sun for a few hours and it will soften.

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 7 Aug 2020 05:42:44 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On 06/08/2020 18:05, AK wrote:

I am having a hard time getting my hose in shape to hang up, but the curls in it are making that hard.

Use the same curls that the hose came with to hang up the hose.

You certainly don't want the hose straight so you have to hand one end
50' from the other end.

if the hose were straight, you'd have to make those curls.

I did a search for removing curls from a garden hose, but did not find much.
Is there a way of removing the curls?
Andy

No, buy a thick rubber type one, they don't curl up.

+ 1
Also, hang it up in large loops ; drained of water.
John T.

I assume you are talking about kinks in the hose.
Avoid that first kink. Hose reels properly used mostly prevent this
problem. Once you kink a hose, it is hard to not have the problem
repeat. You can squeeze the sides of the kink to make the hose round
instead of flattened there again, then let it sit that way for awhile to
lessen the problem. Do not hang the hose over anything small enough the
the hose folds over it.

I am not talking about kinks.

Just those curls that were present when it was coiled up at the store.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky expressed precisely :

On 06/08/2020 18:05, AK wrote:

[...]

Many hoses become quite pliable if you let the sun heat them up. I
don't think the coiling can be prevented or undone completely though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky expressed precisely :

On 06/08/2020 18:05, AK wrote:

[...]

My hoses never get hung up and have been laying in the yard for years.
They've long ago forgotten about any curls they used to have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 8:44:23 AM UTC-5, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Fri, 07 Aug 2020 09:07:38 -0400, FromTheRafters

micky expressed precisely :

On 06/08/2020 18:05, AK wrote:

[...]

I would do that, but I live in an apartment.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/20 12:05 PM, AK wrote:

I am having a hard time getting my hose in shape to hang up, but the curls in it are making that hard.

I did a search for removing curls from a garden hose, but did not find much.

Is there a way of removing the curls?

Andy

I haven't tried this but......................
Can you unroll it as much as possible, then air it up with a
compressor close to the hose's maximum pressure?

How can you air up a water hose with an air compressor?

The fittings are incompatible.

Andy

I bet your hardware store has garden hose to plumbing adapters.
Garden hose thread (ght) to national pipe thread (npt).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2020 7:42 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 8/6/20 1:05 PM, AK wrote:

I am having a hard time getting my hose in shape to hang up, but the
curls in it are making that hard.

I did a search for removing curls from a garden hose, but did not find
much.

Is there a way of removing the curls?
Andy

Lay it out in the sun for a few hours and it will soften.

Indeed.

New hoses come coiled pretty tightly; to straighten you have to take the
twist introduced in the coiling process out...straighten it out and keep
twisting one end until have it straight -- it's convenient if it happens
to have enough of a design on the cover to be able to see when it is
actually straight.

Give it some time in that position to relax...of course, when you get
ready to roll it back up, you'll reintroduce the twist for each coil,
but if you don't use a hose reel and use large coil size it'll be a much
lower number of twists overall...

As another says, on the farm we've got acres of yard so just leaving
them out is easy; in an apartment tough to do that...

Of course, if they stay out in the hot sun and UV for too long, many
will then also harden from the UV damage...can't win for losing. That
may not be such an issue in more temperate climes...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 06:47:21 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 8:44:23 AM UTC-5, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Fri, 07 Aug 2020 09:07:38 -0400, FromTheRafters

micky expressed precisely :

On 06/08/2020 18:05, AK wrote:

[...]

How about one of those weird hoses that grow in length when you turn on the
water, but shrink back down small enough to fit in a bucket when you turn
the water off?

I'm not normally a fan of those things but they could be OK for an
apartment dweller.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/20 12:05 PM, AK wrote:

I am having a hard time getting my hose in shape to hang up, but the curls in it are making that hard.

I did a search for removing curls from a garden hose, but did not find much.

Is there a way of removing the curls?

Andy

I haven't tried this but......................
Can you unroll it as much as possible, then air it up with a
compressor close to the hose's maximum pressure?

How can you air up a water hose with an air compressor?

The fittings are incompatible.

I would use the fitting I made for blowing out the sprinklers.

For your "curl" problem, you need to either untwist the hose as you
unwind the roll, or unroll it like it is on a roller, wind it up and
unwind it from one side to the other each winding, or use a hose reel
that you can just pull the hose straight off of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/20 12:15 PM, Bod wrote:
On 06/08/2020 18:05, AK wrote:

I am having a hard time getting my hose in shape to hang up, but the
curls in it are making that hard.

I did a search for removing curls from a garden hose, but did not find
much.

Is there a way of removing the curls?
Andy

No, buy a thick rubber type one, they don't curl up.

I have a couple of rubber hoses from Sears. They are the best hoses I've
had, except they are heavy.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Christ rode on an ass, but now asses ride on Christ." -- Heine

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would do that, but I live in an apartment.

How about one of those weird hoses that grow in length when you turn on the
water, but shrink back down small enough to fit in a bucket when you turn
the water off?

I'm not normally a fan of those things but they could be OK for an
apartment dweller.

My wife has a big garden and we tried a couple of those. They are really nice - light
weight and easy to store. But both developed leaks in one season, with no abuse.
If you can find one at the right price, it might be worth it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Aug 2020 09:07:38 -0400, FromTheRafters posted for all of us to
digest...

micky expressed precisely :

On 06/08/2020 18:05, AK wrote:

[...]

+1 Or fill it with water and let the sun heat it and straighten then release
pressure.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would do that, but I live in an apartment.

How about one of those weird hoses that grow in length when you turn on the
water, but shrink back down small enough to fit in a bucket when you turn
the water off?

I'm not normally a fan of those things but they could be OK for an
apartment dweller.

My wife has a big garden and we tried a couple of those. They are really nice - light
weight and easy to store. But both developed leaks in one season, with no abuse.
If you can find one at the right price, it might be worth it.

My wife bought one on impulse about 6 months ago. It lasted just a few
months before the end exploded and blew off. Then again, we have unusually
high water pressure here. The neighbor's lawn sprinkler easily shoots water
about 75-80 feet and would easily do more but he limits it. The irrigation
and sprinkler guy recommends adding a pressure regulator to each hose
spigot but we haven't done that yet. Meanwhile, in addition to blowing the
end off of the cute retracting hose, we've blown up two other garden hoses
and a third is on its last legs. I expect it to blow any day now. We're
having sprinklers put in and that should mostly stop the heavy use of
hoses.