Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Remove curls from garden hose

On 8/7/2020 7:42 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 8/6/20 1:05 PM, AK wrote:

I am having a hard time getting my hose in shape to hang up, but the
curls in it are making that hard.

I did a search for removing curls from a garden hose, but did not find
much.

Is there a way of removing the curls?
Andy

Lay it out in the sun for a few hours and it will soften.

Indeed.

New hoses come coiled pretty tightly; to straighten you have to take the
twist introduced in the coiling process out...straighten it out and keep
twisting one end until have it straight -- it's convenient if it happens
to have enough of a design on the cover to be able to see when it is
actually straight.

Give it some time in that position to relax...of course, when you get
ready to roll it back up, you'll reintroduce the twist for each coil,
but if you don't use a hose reel and use large coil size it'll be a much
lower number of twists overall...

As another says, on the farm we've got acres of yard so just leaving
them out is easy; in an apartment tough to do that...

Of course, if they stay out in the hot sun and UV for too long, many
will then also harden from the UV damage...can't win for losing. That
may not be such an issue in more temperate climes...