Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PING Clare S

You've been a great help in the past helping me diagnose car problems
.... I'm trying to help my son figure out a dead cylinder on his 2003
town & country van . He's getting a code that says #6 injector is not
functioning . We've tried swapping that injector to a different cylinder
, the code does not follow the injector . We have replaced the injector
wiring harness because it was melted and shorting out , it has been
suggested that the short may have caused damage to the computer -
specifically the #6 injector driver . I know exactly zip about these
newer cars with the all computerized engine controls and hope you can
shed some light on this problem . If I can't get this thing running
right I may have to let him take my truck again ... and I'm not sure it
can survive another round of his abuse .
Another question , can this problem cause other damage ? I don't
think it can since it's just not getting gas to that cylinder but ...
--
Snag on the
travelin' laptop

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 4:11:04 PM UTC-4, SNAG wrote:
[...]

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/ho...-fuel-injector

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 26 Jul 2020 15:10:49 -0500, SNAG
wrote:

You've been a great help in the past helping me diagnose car problems
... I'm trying to help my son figure out a dead cylinder on his 2003
town & country van . He's getting a code that says #6 injector is not

I'm not Clare but what is the code? There could be more than one
related to this, especially if it could be the computer.

functioning . We've tried swapping that injector to a different cylinder
, the code does not follow the injector . We have replaced the injector
wiring harness because it was melted and shorting out , it has been
suggested that the short may have caused damage to the computer -
specifically the #6 injector driver . I know exactly zip about these
newer cars with the all computerized engine controls and hope you can
shed some light on this problem . If I can't get this thing running
right I may have to let him take my truck again ... and I'm not sure it
can survive another round of his abuse .
Another question , can this problem cause other damage ? I don't

Good question, my guess is no for the reason you give. Clare will be
around soon.

He ought to be able to get by on 5 cylinders. When I was a boy I only
had one.

Of course that was a lawn mower.

think it can since it's just not getting gas to that cylinder but ...
--
Snag on the
travelin' laptop

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/26/20 3:10 PM, SNAG wrote:
Â* You've been a great help in the past helping me diagnose car problems
... I'm trying to help my son figure out a dead cylinder on his 2003
town & country van . He's getting a code that says #6 injector is not
functioning . We've tried swapping that injector to a different cylinder
, the code does not follow the injector . We have replaced the injector
wiring harness because it was melted and shorting out , it has been
suggested that the short may have caused damage to the computer -
specifically the #6 injector driver . I know exactly zip about these
newer cars with the all computerized engine controls and hope you can
shed some light on this problem . If I can't get this thing running
right I may have to let him take my truck again ... and I'm not sure it
can survive another round of his abuse .
Â* Another question , can this problem cause other damage ? I don't
think it can since it's just not getting gas to that cylinder but ...

Silly question. Fuse or fuse link?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/26/2020 4:04 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Thanks , but we've already determined that the injector is OK . We
swapped it to a different cylinder , the code did not move with the
injector . Also , I applied 12V to the injector in question , it clicked
as it should - I pressurized the inlet side while momentarily applying
power and residual fuel flowed from it . It is in a different cylinder
now and functioning properly . If I had an oscilloscope I could check
for a voltage pulse ... my voltmeter isn't fast enough to catch it .
--
Snag on the
travelin' laptop

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 5:04:15 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Should have added, I'd do the tests they suggest at both ends of the cable
that was replaced and to what it plugs into. This is a new cable as opposed
to a repair to the old one? Work back from the injector to the
electronics. A wiring diagram from Bentley or similar or online helps.
I suppose it's possible the shorted wire killed the driver, but typically
electronic drivers are current limited so a short won't fry them.
Someone trying to jumper things during testing, connecting direct 12V
somewhere it shouldn't be, that will blow things.

I don't see a cylinder not getting fuel doing any damage either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 5:22:30 PM UTC-4, SNAG wrote:
[...]

Did you look at that link? It's not just about testing the injector,
it's about seeing if the wiring to the injector is triggering the
injector. Looks like it works by providing 12V on one wire, then
grounding the other one to trigger it.

We
swapped it to a different cylinder , the code did not move with the
injector . Also , I applied 12V to the injector in question , it clicked
as it should - I pressurized the inlet side while momentarily applying
power and residual fuel flowed from it . It is in a different cylinder
now and functioning properly . If I had an oscilloscope I could check
for a voltage pulse ... my voltmeter isn't fast enough to catch it .
--
Snag on the
travelin' laptop

That link gives ways to do it with just a VOM or test light. I'm sure if
you google for testing injector circuit or similar you'll find plenty of
videos too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Check to see if you have 12 volts on one side of the injector with
the plug removed. If you do,connect an analog voltmeter to check for
pulse on crank. The 3.8 batch fires until crank sync, then goes to
sequential.
The power feed is brown ans white. The control wore for #6 is brown
and violet. The copmputer is just in front of the battery so readily
accessible. check continuity of that wire. Of you have 12 votts on the
brown wire, no pulse on the brown and violet, and continuity between
the ecm and injector you fried a driver. They are potted so hard to
get to the actual driver to replace the driver - I think it is a
Cherry peak and hold driver like a CS51031
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/26/2020 7:02 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

THANK YOU ! I'll forward this info to my son ,
--
Snag on the
travelin' laptop

Ping Clare part II Hawk Home Repair 24 September 30th 19 03:32 AM
Ping Clare S - truck problems Terry Coombs[_2_] Home Repair 15 September 29th 19 03:50 PM
Ping Cla Tire problems =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= Home Repair 6 May 4th 18 11:47 PM
PING: Clare. Fuel amount per injector firing? [email protected] Metalworking 25 January 12th 17 10:28 PM
PING Clare (Canada) Oren[_2_] Home Repair 7 March 30th 14 03:24 AM