Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ping Clare S - truck problems

Â* Someone posted a link to the GM shop manual , which indicates that
the radio is NOT alone on that fuse circuit . I'm sure about some items
, but don't know what/where the time delay relay and emission control
solenoid are ... I figured with your history you might be able to help
me figure it out . I'm assuming both are part of the emissions stuff -
most of which has been long since removed .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 20:58:14 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* Someone posted a link to the GM shop manual , which indicates that
the radio is NOT alone on that fuse circuit . I'm sure about some items
, but don't know what/where the time delay relay and emission control
solenoid are ... I figured with your history you might be able to help
me figure it out . I'm assuming both are part of the emissions stuff -
most of which has been long since removed .

Year, engine and transmission again? Emission control solenoid
sounds like canister vent solenoid?? The only time delay relay in the
engine system I can think of was for transmission controlled spark
system in the early seventies - (70-71 without A.I.R.)

The only "time delay relay" I can thinkof in a 1986 vehicle would be
in the wiper system - intermittent wiper relay.

The evap control solenoid valve is back on the evap canister above the
back of the muffler somewhere. The wire back to the evap solenoid
could very well be chaffed through anywhere between the fuse box and
the back of the truck - again I would check the wiring harness in the
area of the replaced transmission first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Â*Â* Thanks Clare . It's a 1986 GMC 1500 p/u with a 305 V8 and a 700R4 .
No wiper delay , and the evap canister is up by the radiator on the
driver's side . I went over the wiring in the engine compartment
yesterday AM , found no frayed or rubbed insulation (but did find a lot
of grunge). The only place I found that had any sign of damage at all
was on a bundle that crosses over the steering column , where the
ignition switch rod had rubbed a small spot , but not all the way thru
the wrap and the radio supply isn't in that harness . I've put the dash
back together enough to drive the truck but left the radio out . We'll
see if that fuse blows again w/out it installed . Since both radios have
a fuse in the power lead that hasn't blown I figure it pretty much has
to be a fault in the truck wiring . I'm just really frustrated that I
can't find anything . I'm considering pulling power from another
switched source , whether ignition or accessory isn't critical to me
since I don't listen to the radio with the motor off .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The 700R has a lockupo converter.
The lockup power comes from an Acc power plug right above the RDO fuse
(radio) and is a brown and white wire in a brown plug. Disconnect that
brown plug and see what happens. Not an uncommon problem -
particularly if some hamfisted hillbilly wrench changed the
transmission - - - - - - That "acc" plug is powered by the 15 amp
radio fuse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Â* Well , it's definite now that the fault is in the wiring . I left the
radio out , the fuse was blown when I got to town . That lockup wire
will be on the connector that hooks to the trams along with the backup
light switch etc ? FWIW the hamfisted HACK that installed it is my son .
He definitely ain't a hillbilly ... he's a flat-lander ! And he's for
sure a hack , couldn't be bothered to actually finish the installation
by changing out the speedo drive . I wonder if I can check that with my
digital meter . Leave the fuse out , set it on beep and run the truck up
to highway speed . If that's it it should start beeping when the trans
lockup is supposed to engage . That would also explain (at least
partially) the lousy mileage it's getting and the fuse not blowing until
I'm on the highway . Is there a cure for this problem that will keep the
lockup functional ?
Â*I really appreciate your help with this , it's been running me in
circles . Gettin' nothing but dizzy trying to figure it out .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

FWIW the hamfisted HACK that installed it is my son .
He definitely ain't a hillbilly ... he's a flat-lander ! And he's for
sure a hack , couldn't be bothered to actually finish the installation
by changing out the speedo drive .

I doubt that Clare means any offence .. with "ham-fisted hack" -
- it's just that - to someone who endeavors to build
a friggin' home-made airplane !
.... certainly almost everyone is a hack. :-)

http://pegazair.on-the-net.ca/ClareSquared/index.htm

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2019 2:50 PM, wrote:

FWIW the hamfisted HACK that installed it is my son .
He definitely ain't a hillbilly ... he's a flat-lander ! And he's for
sure a hack , couldn't be bothered to actually finish the installation
by changing out the speedo drive .

I doubt that Clare means any offence .. with "ham-fisted hack" -
- it's just that - to someone who endeavors to build
a friggin' home-made airplane !
... certainly almost everyone is a hack. :-)

http://pegazair.on-the-net.ca/ClareSquared/index.htm

John T.

Â* Perhaps you misunderstood me - my son IS a ham-handed hack shade tree
mechanic . As I said , he was too lazy to complete the job properly by
swapping the electronic sensor out for the mechanical drive this truck
needs . I'll probably get under the truck (tomorrow , rainy here today)
and find the lockup wire pinched between the trans and motor or
something equally stupid . Hell , he couldn't even be bothered to bolt
the dipstick tube in place properly .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 15:08:44 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 9/28/2019 2:50 PM, wrote:

[...]

I didn't mis-understand. not at all ..
I am myself a ham-handed-driveway-hack at best !
especially for auto repairs.
... sorry to have led you to the point of explaining it.
I was just trying to post a little light-hearted back-ground ..
Your beloved son is a scholar and a gentleman
in my estimation until he in - person proves
different to me.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Easier - just disconnect the brown connector at the fuse panel and if
it doesn't blow the fuse you KNOW where to look. I've seen the harness
toasted on the exhaust manifold - and pinched between the engine and
bell-housing - - as well as left hanging loose. The lockup solenoid is
just ahead of the accumulator housing on the left rear of the trans
case between the 1st and second pan screws forward of the left rear
corner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2019 3:26 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 15:08:44 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 9/28/2019 2:50 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Â* I must admit that there have been times I took shortcuts - but I
always finished what I started .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Â* It appears that you have nailed the problem ! I unplugged the brn/wht
wire at the fuse block and took a ride down the highway . I still have
power at the radio connection ... tomorrow I get under there and figure
out where it's grounding out . I suspect that my gas mileage will
improve after this is repaired - the boy did mention the lousy mileage
he was getting , and it did seem like I burned more gas than I used to
between Memphis and home . Two birds with one stone this time . I would
NEVER have discovered this without your help , and I thank you .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 15:35:12 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 9/28/2019 3:26 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 15:08:44 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 9/28/2019 2:50 PM,
wrote:
[...]

The flat rate mechanic's credo - "ya gotta cheat to eat" - which is
why I never worked flat rate - and nor did any of my mechanics.

There are times where working smart is much better than working hard
and long - and I became a master at that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There is a way to wire up the converter lock using a pressure
switch, a manual switch and a relay so it automatically locks when in
4th IF you tell it to - and will not lock in any other gear. It
involves removing the 4th gear servo cover and drilling and tapping it
for the pressure switch and wiring it so the relay only turns on when
the switch senses pressure on the high servo - if the harness is too
badly mangled and the control circuitry damaged - but it APPEARS the
control circuitry is still working.

I'll be off-line for almost 3 weeks starting Monday afternoon - so if
you need more info you'll need to "get crackin'".

Takin the little woman to Italy and on a cruise along with 3 other
couples - all long-time friends.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clare Snyder"
There are times where working smart is
much better than working hard
and long - and I became a master at that.

"It is a thousand times better to have
common sense without education than
to have education without common sense."
- Robert Green Ingersoll
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29/9/19 11:22 am, Phil Kangas wrote:

"Clare Snyder" There are times where working smart is much better than
working hard
and long - and I became a master at that.

"It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education
than to have education without common sense."
- Robert Green Ingersoll

But having both is best! ;-)

Knowing what to do with the education certainly helps!

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Xeno"
wrote in message On 29/9/19 11:22 am, Phil Kangas wrote:

"Clare Snyder" There are times where working smart is
much better than working hard
and long - and I became a master at that.

"It is a thousand times better to have common sense
without education than to have education without common
sense."
- Robert Green Ingersoll

But having both is best! ;-)

Knowing what to do with the education certainly helps!

--

Xeno

Yes! And that is why Clare has so much respect
in this group! Kudos to you Clare, Thank You. ;)