Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ping Clare part II

I hope you don't mind another vehicle wiring question since your
expertise is abundant on the auto industry.

I have a Honda with daytime running lights, which I bypassed the fuse to
install a switch allowing me to turn them off when needed. I have a 2013
Town & Country van which I want to do the same, but I cannot locate a
designated fuse for those lights. Do you have a suggestion how I can go
about this if I cannot located a designated fuse?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 20:24:55 -0400, Hawk wrote:

I hope you don't mind another vehicle wiring question since your
expertise is abundant on the auto industry.

I have a Honda with daytime running lights, which I bypassed the fuse to
install a switch allowing me to turn them off when needed. I have a 2013
Town & Country van which I want to do the same, but I cannot locate a
designated fuse for those lights. Do you have a suggestion how I can go
about this if I cannot located a designated fuse?

Thanks.

The only way to turn off the DRL on the chrysler is by either having
it programmed out in the BCU by the dealer or tricking it in to
thinking the parking brake is on. Put a switch in parallel with the
parking brake switch. Turning ON the switch will turn off the drl (and
put your brake warning light on - and possibly a beeper/bell.)

It's all done by CanBuss
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 28 Sep 2019 20:24:55 -0400, Hawk
wrote:

I hope you don't mind another vehicle wiring question since your
expertise is abundant on the auto industry.

I have a Honda with daytime running lights, which I bypassed the fuse to
install a switch allowing me to turn them off when needed. I have a 2013

FTR, since it worked on the first car, even though you use "fuse" three
times, I'm sure you don't mean "bypass the fuse". Bypassing the fuse
will....bypass the fuse. It won't change anything except you won't have
a fuse. You must have meant "interrupt the circuit [with a switch]
near the fuse" Because when there is a dedicated fuse, you know
which is the right wire.

Town & Country van which I want to do the same, but I cannot locate a
designated fuse for those lights. Do you have a suggestion how I can go
about this if I cannot located a designated fuse?

Thanks.

Clare has a great answer. I remember getting my first "fancy" car that
turned the headlights on when I turned on the engine at night, and
having trouble turning off all the outside lights when parked with the
car running, and iirc turning some on when parked with the engine off.
These things used to be simple.

The things above don't matter anymore but even now on a 2005 toyota with
GPS and a map screen on the radio, I'd like to also turn off the bright
radio screen so I could I sit in the dark playing the radio.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2019 8:46 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

Programmed out? Does that mean permanently off or can it be programmed
to be switched off and on?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/19 8:24 PM, Hawk wrote:
I hope you don't mind another vehicle wiring question since your
expertise is abundant on the auto industry.

I have a Honda with daytime running lights, which I bypassed the fuse to
install a switch allowing me to turn them off when needed. I have a 2013
Town & Country van which I want to do the same, but I cannot locate a
designated fuse for those lights. Do you have a suggestion how I can go
about this if I cannot located a designated fuse?

Thanks.

Just curious- why do you want to turn them off?

--
The opposite of identity politics is individualism which judges people
on their merits, not their group label

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 14:29:53 -0400, Wade Gattett
wrote:

On 9/28/19 8:24 PM, Hawk wrote:
I hope you don't mind another vehicle wiring question since your
expertise is abundant on the auto industry.

I have a Honda with daytime running lights, which I bypassed the fuse to
install a switch allowing me to turn them off when needed. I have a 2013
Town & Country van which I want to do the same, but I cannot locate a
designated fuse for those lights. Do you have a suggestion how I can go
about this if I cannot located a designated fuse?
Thanks.

Just curious- why do you want to turn them off?

I wondered that also.
All our friends & family's cars & trucks, since ~ early 1990's
have had them - with no problems ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2019 01:03 PM, wrote:
I wondered that also.
All our friends & family's cars & trucks, since ~ early 1990's
have had them - with no problems .

DRL's are more common in the US but I was once stopped by a cop who
noticed the headlights were on but no taillights. He assumed I had
defective taillights. I'd also had regular people tell me the taillights
weren't working.

I don't know if it was state or federal laws but since the '80s
motorcycles have has always on headlights. These aren't reduced output
DRL's, just the normal headlights. The effectiveness of the increased
visibility in reducing accidents was studied extensively.

I do not know if there ware follow up studies after mandatory DRLs were
introduced in Canada and other countries. My current Toyota does not
have them but my previous 2007 version of the same model did. That's
surprising since car makers have tended to include anything that is
required anywhere in the world and submit the bill to the purchaser.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wondered that also.
All our friends & family's cars & trucks, since ~ early 1990's
have had them - with no problems .

DRL's are more common in the US but I was once stopped by a cop who
noticed the headlights were on but no taillights. He assumed I had
defective taillights. I'd also had regular people tell me the taillights
weren't working.

Cops know this stuff - but still use it -
as an excuse to pull-over people ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2019 2:59 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 09/29/2019 01:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

* I dunno if that motorcycle headlight law works or not ... February
2007 , 6:30 AM on my way to work on Bag Lady ('76FLH full dress/hand
shift/all original - kinda) rollin' down Summer Ave in Memphis with
headlight and "passing lamps" - tight beam aircraft landing lights ,
properly aimed - all on , that drunk "citizen of color" turned left
right (RIGHT!) in front of me . RIP Bag Lady , almost RIP Snag .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 06:59:29 -0400, Hawk wrote:

[...]

Not 100% sure but I THINK it ia "all or nothing" There is a lot of
programming that can be "hacked" but the dealer setup most likely only
enables or disables - and if your state requires DRLs on that year
vehicle it may be illegal for them to program them out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 13:59:17 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/29/2019 01:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

There is no "bill". It's a few lines of computer code today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/28/19 8:24 PM, Hawk wrote:
I hope you don't mind another vehicle wiring question since your
expertise is abundant on the auto industry.

I have a Honda with daytime running lights, which I bypassed the fuse to
install a switch allowing me to turn them off when needed. I have a 2013
Town & Country van which I want to do the same, but I cannot locate a
designated fuse for those lights. Do you have a suggestion how I can go
about this if I cannot located a designated fuse?
Thanks.

Just curious- why do you want to turn them off?

I wondered that also.
All our friends & family's cars & trucks, since ~ early 1990's
have had them - with no problems ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

John T.

Good question. The local concrete company trucks run with
headlights on.
It's surprising how much more noticeable those big white things are
because of the lights.

I started "day lighting" back in the seventies when I was rallye
driving.

The only thing I can';t quite figure out is why they don't just tuenon
the full lighting system - INCLUDING tail lights so morons don't drive
down the road in the dead of night with only the front lit by the DRLs
and no tail lights
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2019 2:29 PM, Wade Gattett wrote:
On 9/28/19 8:24 PM, Hawk wrote:
I hope you don't mind another vehicle wiring question since your
expertise is abundant on the auto industry.

I have a Honda with daytime running lights, which I bypassed the fuse
to install a switch allowing me to turn them off when needed. I have a
2013 Town & Country van which I want to do the same, but I cannot
locate a designated fuse for those lights. Do you have a suggestion
how I can go about this if I cannot located a designated fuse?

Thanks.

Just curious- why do you want to turn them off?

As an investigator who follows people, I often like to change the front
appearance of the vehicle to throw them off, especially for a subject
who may be slightly suspicious. I change from headlight, to DRL to
nothing when following. Having the lights off also allows be to slowly
sneak up on the side of the street without being noted of my movement.
When in gear, the lights always illuminate and I cannot sneak up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/28/19 8:24 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

I see this almost nightly. There are several vehicles on the road
without taillights every night and the obvious is they don't have the
switch set to auto and/or obviously the headlights on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2019 01:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

I've had people apparently fail to see a bright red Volvo White diesel
with a 53' trailer in tow. The only difference in that case is they'll
be the ones removed from the gene pool.

I ride (and drive) like everyone is trying to kill me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/28/19 8:24 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

Â* We had a '96 Chevy Corsica with DRL's . It had a photocell in the
dash that turned on the full set of lights when it got dark enough .
Took me a while to become habituated to turning the lights on when we
changed cars . The current Toyota 4Runner will turn them off then back
on only if you leave the switch on the turnsig stem turned to "on" . Her
'09 Harley gives you no option , key is on so are the lights . My 1990
has a separate key switch position .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 19:05:16 -0400, Hawk wrote:

On 9/29/2019 2:29 PM, Wade Gattett wrote:

Just curious- why do you want to turn them off?

As an investigator who follows people, I often like to
change the front appearance of the vehicle to throw them off,
especially for a subject who may be slightly suspicious.

Hmmm. Well, I guess if I ever do anything which would end up with me
feeling slightly suspicious, I'll be sure to be on the the lookout for this
new 'givaway' of people who have illegally modified their vehicle wiring.

Having the lights off also allows me to
slowly sneak up on the side of the street

So if we see anyone doing that, can we be sure it's a 'Dick'?

One *could* call 911 to report a driver suspected to be sufficiently
impaired that he does not notice that his legally-required lights are off
or malfunctioning.

Even the police won't risk illegally modifying a vehicle, because if an
accident happens, they may end up 'at fault'. And your insurance won't
cover you if you have made illegal mods.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2019 03:57 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
There is no "bill". It's a few lines of computer code today.

That may be the case today although I believe some of the schemes
require additional circuity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2019 01:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

* It's not so bad up here where we live now , but in Memphis I believe
they ARE trying to kill me .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 29 Sep 2019 06:59:29 -0400, Hawk
wrote:

[...]

If it could be, where would you put the switch?

What's wrong with Clare's second idea, starting with "Put a switch"?
(The beeper/bell? I doubt it but you can test that tomorrow by putting
the parking brake on a little bit, enough to make the dash light come
on, and see if a beeper comes on, with the car in drive and moving.)

You were willing to install a switch in the first place, he just told
you where.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/28/19 8:24 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

They don't know enough morons?

* We had a '96 Chevy Corsica with DRL's . It had a photocell in the
dash that turned on the full set of lights when it got dark enough .
Took me a while to become habituated to turning the lights on when we
changed cars .

My car is like your Corsice, with the photocell. When I rented a car, I
never bothered turning on the headlights because I sort of figure they
went on automatically at dark, and I drove either in the day or at night
in the city. Finally I go somewhere and have to drive 100 miles at
night on 2-lane roads, and I see the low beams dont' work. I kept the
high-beams on until the last second, and I annoyed a lot of oncoming
drivers. But better than hitting them.

The current Toyota 4Runner will turn them off then back
on only if you leave the switch on the turnsig stem turned to "on" . Her
'09 Harley gives you no option , key is on so are the lights . My 1990
has a separate key switch position .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 23:50:34 +0000, Mike_Duffy
wrote:

[...]

only IF the modification contributed to the accident.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/28/19 8:24 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

The KeyHa has a 3 position switch - off, on, and Auto. It's
permanently on "auto"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2019 5:56 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions.