Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default PING Clare S

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 5:22:30 PM UTC-4, SNAG wrote:
On 7/26/2020 4:04 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 4:11:04 PM UTC-4, SNAG wrote:
You've been a great help in the past helping me diagnose car problems
... I'm trying to help my son figure out a dead cylinder on his 2003
town & country van . He's getting a code that says #6 injector is not
functioning . We've tried swapping that injector to a different cylinder
, the code does not follow the injector . We have replaced the injector
wiring harness because it was melted and shorting out , it has been
suggested that the short may have caused damage to the computer -
specifically the #6 injector driver . I know exactly zip about these
newer cars with the all computerized engine controls and hope you can
shed some light on this problem . If I can't get this thing running
right I may have to let him take my truck again ... and I'm not sure it
can survive another round of his abuse .
Another question , can this problem cause other damage ? I don't
think it can since it's just not getting gas to that cylinder but ...
--
Snag on the
travelin' laptop

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/ho...-fuel-injector

Thanks , but we've already determined that the injector is OK .

Did you look at that link? It's not just about testing the injector,
it's about seeing if the wiring to the injector is triggering the
injector. Looks like it works by providing 12V on one wire, then
grounding the other one to trigger it.

We
swapped it to a different cylinder , the code did not move with the
injector . Also , I applied 12V to the injector in question , it clicked
as it should - I pressurized the inlet side while momentarily applying
power and residual fuel flowed from it . It is in a different cylinder
now and functioning properly . If I had an oscilloscope I could check
for a voltage pulse ... my voltmeter isn't fast enough to catch it .
--
Snag on the
travelin' laptop

That link gives ways to do it with just a VOM or test light. I'm sure if
you google for testing injector circuit or similar you'll find plenty of
videos too.