Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default PING Clare S

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 15:10:49 -0500, SNAG wrote:

You've been a great help in the past helping me diagnose car problems
... I'm trying to help my son figure out a dead cylinder on his 2003
town & country van . He's getting a code that says #6 injector is not
functioning . We've tried swapping that injector to a different cylinder
, the code does not follow the injector . We have replaced the injector
wiring harness because it was melted and shorting out , it has been
suggested that the short may have caused damage to the computer -
specifically the #6 injector driver . I know exactly zip about these
newer cars with the all computerized engine controls and hope you can
shed some light on this problem . If I can't get this thing running
right I may have to let him take my truck again ... and I'm not sure it
can survive another round of his abuse .
Another question , can this problem cause other damage ? I don't
think it can since it's just not getting gas to that cylinder but ...
--
Snag on the
travelin' laptop

Check to see if you have 12 volts on one side of the injector with
the plug removed. If you do,connect an analog voltmeter to check for
pulse on crank. The 3.8 batch fires until crank sync, then goes to
sequential.
The power feed is brown ans white. The control wore for #6 is brown
and violet. The copmputer is just in front of the battery so readily
accessible. check continuity of that wire. Of you have 12 votts on the
brown wire, no pulse on the brown and violet, and continuity between
the ecm and injector you fried a driver. They are potted so hard to
get to the actual driver to replace the driver - I think it is a
Cherry peak and hold driver like a CS51031