Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Useless things found on ebay number 437

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263483336531

This apparently changes the plug on the end of a male DVI cable to.... er a male plug about 1 inch further away. So, it's a very small extension lead? Or a gender changer that well.... doesn't.
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 14:23:06 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (aka "Commander Kinsey",
"James Wilkinson", "Steven ******","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.),
the pathological resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs,
blathered again:

FLUSH the sociopathic ****** and attention whore's latest attention-baiting
idiotic bull**** unread

--
about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
trolling:

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a ****ing moronic motorist."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his **** is so grand he has the right to
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 14:23:06 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263483336531

This apparently changes the plug on the end of a male DVI cable to.... er a male plug about 1 inch further away. So, it's a very small extension lead? Or a gender changer that well.... doesn't.

I bought something like that online for my headphones. It was
50% off if bought with the headphones. About a meter long, and it came
with 2 female plugs.
When I asked for my money back they said "the ad never said it
was compatible".
Annoying, but U$ 5 is not enough to get my blood pressure up.
The shop lost a customer, though.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 15:45:41 +0100, Peeler
wrote:

We all know who he is, Peeler.

[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 13:57:53 -0300, Shadow, another mentally challenged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

I bought something like that online for my headphones.

You should have bought a new head instead, troll-feeding senile idiot! tsk

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263483336531

This apparently changes the plug on the end of a male DVI cable to.... er a male plug about 1 inch further away. So, it's a very small extension lead? Or a gender changer that well.... doesn't.

I bought something like that online for my headphones. It was
50% off if bought with the headphones. About a meter long, and it came
with 2 female plugs.
When I asked for my money back they said "the ad never said it
was compatible".
Annoying, but U$ 5 is not enough to get my blood pressure up.
The shop lost a customer, though.
[]'s

I take revenge on principal, for one reason so nobody else gets conned - somebody could need something urgently. I simply click Ebay's "return this item" and state it's not as described. This 99% of the time makes the seller concerned (unsolved complaints where Ebay has to intervene increases the fee percentage for the seller in future, and can eventually make them lose their account).

I once bought an adapter to convert two molex power plugs to a 6 pin graphics card power plug. When it arrived, it was wired up incorrectly. Both the 5V and 12V lines from the molex (PSU end) were connected together to feed the graphics card end's 12V pins. When I sent the seller a message about it, informing them it would have shorted the 5V and 12V lines, I was told "if it's a good power supply it can handle it". I told Ebay they were selling a product which could damage people's expensive equipment or possibly cause a fire. Ebay returned my money, I kept the adapter, rewired it properly, and it worked fine.
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0brsg6pcwdg98l@glass...
I once bought an adapter to convert two molex power plugs to a 6 pin
graphics card power plug. When it arrived, it was wired up incorrectly.
Both the 5V and 12V lines from the molex (PSU end) were connected together
to feed the graphics card end's 12V pins. When I sent the seller a
message about it, informing them it would have shorted the 5V and 12V
lines, I was told "if it's a good power supply it can handle it". I told
Ebay they were selling a product which could damage people's expensive
equipment or possibly cause a fire. Ebay returned my money, I kept the
adapter, rewired it properly, and it worked fine.

We needed some light bulb adaptors so bulbs with a SES (small Edison screw)
could be used in LBC and SBC (large/small bayonet connector) socket.

We bought some and everyone one of them tripped the circuit breaker in the
consumer unit as soon as a bulb was screwed in. On closer examination, I saw
that the metal contact that touched the tip of the screw fitting was mounted
too high so as the bulb was screwed in, the contact distorted so part of it
touched the screw of the bulb as well as the tip - instant short circuit.

I sent very clear feedback to Amazon that this product was dangerous and not
fit for purpose. I never heard anything back, but I saw that the item was no
longer for sale after that.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 17:55:37 -0000, NY wrote:

[...]

Ouch. I imagine if you hadn't screwed it in as tightly, or some of them weren't quite as badly made as yours, you could have caused an arc which could overheat and melt the fitting.

I don't like things that could catch fire when I'm not around, burning down my house, but I never bother objecting to other things like electric shocks. For example I have a 15W "corn on the cob" style LED bulb still in use that I bought a few years ago on Ebay. The LEDs are bare - you can touch them (and their live ends). They're in series - fed from a 150V DC rather simply made capacitive dropper. If you touch the right bits of it, you get that across your fingers - i.e. the mains, a capacitor, a resistor, then you. Not sure how much current would flow, but it was enough to make me jump, enough that if I was on a ladder I would have jumped off it. I guess 15W at 150V would be about 100mA (which the health and softy folk claim is lethal - yeah maybe if you're 90 years old with a dicky ticker).

I sent very clear feedback to Amazon that this product was dangerous and not
fit for purpose. I never heard anything back, but I saw that the item was no
longer for sale after that.

So Amazon didn't even bother refunding you? Ebay are a lot better, you get your money back the instant they believe something isn't what it's advertised as.
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 11/24/2019 9:23 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263483336531

This apparently changes the plug on the end of a male DVI cable to....
er a male plug about 1 inch further away.* So, it's a very small
extension lead?* Or a gender changer that well.... doesn't.

The only valid use I can think of: Just what you need if your setup
causes a cable you already own to be 1" too short. If the equipment is
rack mounted, the only options might be the adapter or a longer cable.
The adapter is cheaper than buying a longer cable. Admittedly not a
common scenario!
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 18:26:07 -0000, Peter wrote:

On 11/24/2019 9:23 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263483336531

This apparently changes the plug on the end of a male DVI cable to....
er a male plug about 1 inch further away. So, it's a very small
extension lead? Or a gender changer that well.... doesn't.

The only valid use I can think of: Just what you need if your setup
causes a cable you already own to be 1" too short. If the equipment is
rack mounted, the only options might be the adapter or a longer cable.
The adapter is cheaper than buying a longer cable. Admittedly not a
common scenario!

And if it's 1.1" too short? ;-) You clearly haven't read Murphy's laws.

I'm not so sure about the price anyway. I can get a 10m DVI cable for only twice the price of that adapter. Presumably I can get a 5m cable for about the same price as the adapter.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 17:55:37 -0000, NY, an especially retarded,
troll-feeding, senile IDIOT, blathered, again:

We needed some light bulb adaptors

You need the light switched on in your senile head, you senile troll-feeding
dimbulb!
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 13:26:07 -0500, Peter, another brain dead,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

The only valid use I can think of: Just what you need

....is senile idiots to come running along, every time he asks to be fed, you
troll-feeding senile idiot!
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 18:29:49 +0100, Peeler
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 13:57:53 -0300, Shadow, another mentally challenged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

I bought something like that online for my headphones.

You should have bought a new head instead, troll-feeding senile idiot! tsk

I just remembered why I killfiled you in AHR.
This guy is TOP in any western search engine. You'll never
make it there. He's far more persistent and obnoxious.
Sorry.... Mr Peeler.
FAIL!!!!

---------------
BD: I want people to "get to know me better. I have nothing to
hide".
I'm always here to help, this page was put up at BD's request,
rather, he said "Do it *NOW*!":

http://tekrider.net/pages/david-brooks-stalker.php

62 confirmed #FAKE_NYMS, most used in cybercrimes!
Google "David Brooks Devon"
[]'s

--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0brtvbxjwdg98l@glass...
[...]

Plenty have got a full refund from Amazon but its not clear how often
that happens with third party sellers on amazon as opposed to stuff
that amazon themselves are selling. That's the big difference with
ebay, ebay doesn't actually sell stuff itself.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 15:59:18 -0300, Shadow, another mentally challenged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

You should have bought a new head instead, troll-feeding senile idiot! tsk

I just remembered why I killfiled you in AHR.
This guy is TOP in any western search engine. You'll never
make it there. He's far more persistent and obnoxious.
Sorry.... Mr Peeler.
FAIL!!!!

More senile bull****! Pathetic! tsk
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

In message , at 13:26:07 on Sun, 24 Nov
2019, Peter remarked:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263483336531
This apparently changes the plug on the end of a male DVI cable
to.... er a male plug about 1 inch further away.* So, it's a very
small extension lead?* Or a gender changer that well.... doesn't.

The only valid use I can think of: Just what you need if your setup
causes a cable you already own to be 1" too short. If the equipment is
rack mounted, the only options might be the adapter or a longer cable.
The adapter is cheaper than buying a longer cable. Admittedly not a
common scenario!

Alternatively, if you have some equipment with a recessed socket,
adding one of these permanently will make it closer to the surface
and easier to plug/unplug a cable into.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 14:48:54 -0500, Ralph Mowery, another mentally
deficient, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

I have not had any problems with Amazon except one time. Grandson
wanted a batery powered toy. The batery was supose to be rechargable.
Would not recharge.

Maybe you should have used a battery instead, troll-feeding senile idiot!
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 20:00:09 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

One of the main reasons I don't use Amazon, I never worked out how to tell who I was buying from. Plus I just can't get the hang of their website, it looks too plain, I feel like I'm back using the net in the 90s. And the feedback for each seller is nowhere near as comprehensive. That and things always cost more, as their seller fees are higher than Ebay.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

newsp.0brzwbfawdg98l@glass...
wrote:

[...]

More fool you.

I never worked out how to tell who I was buying from.

They say that very explicitly indeed.

Plus I just can't get the hang of their website, it looks too plain, I
feel like I'm back using the net in the 90s.

Mad reason not to use them..

And the feedback for each seller is nowhere near as comprehensive.

But you do get the feedback on the specific item,
not everything that seller has sold with feedback
that you get with ebay.

That and things always cost more,

No they do not. There have never been the
same discounts on Philips Hue gear on ebay
and there has never been as good a price with
the last 8TB external hard drive either.

as their seller fees are higher than Ebay.

Not with the stuff amazon itself sells.

Main thing I don't like with amazon is that the
search terms arent strictly observed so you cant
be so selective about what shows up with a search.

And the description of the item being sold is much
briefer on amazon.

And the buggers will no longer ship here from the
other amazons world wide.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 07:00:09 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

So Amazon didn't even bother refunding you? Ebay are a lot better, you
get your money back the instant they believe something isn't what it's
advertised as.

Plenty have got a full refund from Amazon but its not clear how often
that happens with third party sellers on amazon as opposed to stuff
that amazon themselves are selling. That's the big difference with
ebay, ebay doesn't actually sell stuff itself.

You two clinically insane prize idiots just have to fight it out among
yourselves! I'm gonna watch and comment. Bring it on, assclowns! LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 07:44:55 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH 125 !!! lines of the two clinically insane prize idiots' latest
troll****

--
Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rodent Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rodent: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rodent: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rodent Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rodent Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

More expensive, less range, harder to use website, worse customer service, er.... the advantage is?

Where? It's the most unintuitive piece of **** I've ever used. Mind you, I don't understand Apple devices either. I guess it's a different way of thinking?

Plus I just can't get the hang of their website, it looks too plain, I
feel like I'm back using the net in the 90s.

Mad reason not to use them..

It's a very good reason. Ease of use is very important. I can find what I want on Ebay in a fraction of the time. If I'm searching for several specific things, it could take an hour on Amazon or 10 minutes on Ebay.

I don't care about the item. I care about the seller. Will it arrive on time, in one piece, and will he honour a warranty? Anyway, if the item is ****, then no doubt everything he sells is **** too.

That and things always cost more,

No they do not. There have never been the
same discounts on Philips Hue gear on ebay
and there has never been as good a price with
the last 8TB external hard drive either.

Every time I've gone to compare prices, Ebay is about 10% less.

as their seller fees are higher than Ebay.

Not with the stuff amazon itself sells.

If I can find them.

Main thing I don't like with amazon is that the
search terms arent strictly observed so you cant
be so selective about what shows up with a search.

that is a major drawback I forgot to mention. Very often on Ebay I will search for a widget, then narrow it own by size/capacity/etc until there's a reasonable number to look through.

And the description of the item being sold is much
briefer on amazon.

And the buggers will no longer ship here from the
other amazons world wide.

What's that to do with Amazon? Don't the sellers send you it themselves?

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 11/24/19 1:50 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]
The picture looks like a gender changer, but the description is male to
male, so no change. Maybe just a mis print. Lots of that comes From
China and you have to convert the Chinglesh to something you cn
understand.

If the ADAPTER is male to male, then plugging it into n existing female
would give you male. That sounds like a change.

--
31 days until the winter celebration (Wed, Dec 25, 2019 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." --
Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 11/24/19 2:00 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

Plenty have got a full refund from Amazon but its not clear how often
that happens with third party sellers on amazon as opposed to stuff
that amazon themselves are selling. That's the big difference with
ebay, ebay doesn't actually sell stuff itself.

That (having a problem with Amazon orders from third-party sellers) has
happened to me 3 times IIRC:

1 (little cameras that were cheap useless junk) returned and credited

2 (DVDs that never arrived) credited

3 (defective photo printer) credited with no return required

--
31 days until the winter celebration (Wed, Dec 25, 2019 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." --
Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

newsp.0br2sst5wdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

Wrong, as always.

less range,

Wrong, as always.

harder to use website,

Wrong, as always.

worse customer service,

Wrong, as always.

er.... the advantage is?

Much better prices with some stuff, particularly
the discounted stuff that Amazon sells themselves.

Much better specific reviews of the individual products.

Vastly better range of books, ebooks, video, movies, music etc.

Much better range of what they design and have made for them.

I never worked out how to tell who I was buying from.

They say that very explicitly indeed.

Where?

On the main page for that item. Rather radically the Sold by field in the
description.

It's the most unintuitive piece of **** I've ever used.

Then you need to get out more or get a brain transplant.

Nope, your ear to ear dog ****/being a blotto druggy.

Plus I just can't get the hang of their website, it looks too plain, I
feel like I'm back using the net in the 90s.

Mad reason not to use them..

It's a very good reason. Ease of use is very important.

You said plain, not easy to use.

I can find what I want on Ebay in a fraction of the time.

That's bull**** with common products like say an 8TB external hard drive.

Particularly when looking for the best price where so many
of the ebay items have more than one item available in the
actual page so the sort by price plus shipping isnt actually
the item you are buying so you have to select the item
itself to see the actual price you will pay.

BULL****.

And the feedback for each seller is nowhere near as comprehensive.

But you do get the feedback on the specific item,
not everything that seller has sold with feedback
that you get with ebay.

I don't care about the item. I care about the seller.

More fool you. Most of us care how
well the item actually works as well.

I was looking at sim reader writers yesterday
and it was important that most of them said
that the item doesn't come with the software
to do the reading and writing of the data.

Will it arrive on time, in one piece, and will he honour a warranty?

More important if it will do what you want to do.

And its much easier to see the delivery window on amazon.

Anyway, if the item is ****, then no doubt everything he sells is ****
too.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that's
saying something, particularly with those that
sell lots of different stuff.

That and things always cost more,

No they do not. There have never been the
same discounts on Philips Hue gear on ebay
and there has never been as good a price with
the last 8TB external hard drive either.

Every time I've gone to compare prices, Ebay is about 10% less.

You wont find that with the Philips Hue specials.

as their seller fees are higher than Ebay.

Not with the stuff amazon itself sells.

If I can find them.

They are more common than the third party stuff.

Main thing I don't like with amazon is that the
search terms arent strictly observed so you cant
be so selective about what shows up with a search.

that is a major drawback I forgot to mention.

But can turn up stuff you hadn't
considered which is worth buying too.

Very often on Ebay I will search for a widget, then narrow it own by
size/capacity/etc until there's a reasonable number to look through.

Yeah but it can be pain in the arse with so
many words used for the stuff you don't want.

And the description of the item being sold is much briefer on amazon.

Not always.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Bac...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

And the buggers will no longer ship here from the other amazons world
wide.

What's that to do with Amazon? Don't the sellers send you it themselves?

Nope that's the other big difference with amazon, they have immense
warehouses with the stuff in than ship by amaz9on from there. That's
what fulfilled by amazon means.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On 11/24/19 1:50 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]
The picture looks like a gender changer, but the description is male to
male, so no change. Maybe just a mis print. Lots of that comes From
China and you have to convert the Chinglesh to something you cn
understand.

If the ADAPTER is male to male,

It isnt its male female.

then plugging it into n existing female would give you male. That sounds
like a change.

But it isnt when its male female.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Funny how I have precisely the opposite experience. I've tried on several occasions to find a particular item on both for comparison - a power tool, a computer part, etc. Ebay always has more options at a cheaper price, and they're easier to find.

er.... the advantage is?

Much better prices with some stuff, particularly
the discounted stuff that Amazon sells themselves.

Much better specific reviews of the individual products.

Vastly better range of books, ebooks, video, movies, music etc.

Yeah well that's what Amazon was made for, it was originally just a book store. I don't buy books. If I wanted books I'd download them for free.

I tried to sell things on Amazon once (custom built PCs), I worked out they were going to charge me roughly TWICE what Ebay do in seller fees. No thanks.

Much better range of what they design and have made for them.

I never worked out how to tell who I was buying from.

They say that very explicitly indeed.

Where?

On the main page for that item. Rather radically the Sold by field in the
description.

No such problem in Ebay, I know it's from the seller.

It's the most unintuitive piece of **** I've ever used.

Then you need to get out more or get a brain transplant.

Mind you, I don't understand Apple devices either. I guess it's a
different way of thinking?

Nope, your ear to ear dog ****/being a blotto druggy.

Nope, most people don't like Apple interfaces. The only ONE SINGLE THING I've ever seen that makes sense on Apple is the dialog boxes. Say you get a dialog box that says "Are you sure, yes or no", or "ok or cancel", whatever. On Apple, the affirmative action is on the right, where you'd expect, like the accelerator in a car is on the right for more speed. In Windows it's on the left, and I've never got used to it, despite almost always using windows, because everything else in life is right for more, like the volume control on my stereo. I always press the wrong ****ing button in Windows.

Plus I just can't get the hang of their website, it looks too plain, I
feel like I'm back using the net in the 90s.

Mad reason not to use them..

It's a very good reason. Ease of use is very important.

You said plain, not easy to use.

Same thing, Ebay is more colourful and very quick for me to spot what to click.

I can find what I want on Ebay in a fraction of the time.

That's bull**** with common products like say an 8TB external hard drive.

Just tried that. On Ebay, I typed "8TB external hard disk", then just clicked "UK", "cheapest first", "buy it now" (as in no auctions), "new". 41 results. Quick scroll to the one that looks good. 30 seconds.

On Amazon, I typed "8TB external hard disk", then er.... where is the country of origin? Cheapest first worked. I guess they don't do auctions? I guess they don't do used? So that's 1 out of 4 options I found. 293 results, not very well refined. And only 16 results per page. Ebay shows 200. And most of Amazon's 293 results aren't even what I was looking for! Why am I getting 4TB drives showing up when I typed 8TB? I lost interest before finding a single drive that I needed. Fail. Utter fail.

Particularly when looking for the best price where so many
of the ebay items have more than one item available in the
actual page so the sort by price plus shipping isnt actually
the item you are buying so you have to select the item
itself to see the actual price you will pay.

Nope, that's quite simple. It might say "1TB to 8TB, £20 to £60" Pretty obvious the 8TB will be £60.

A seller will sell **** and only ****, or good stuff. And if I want something specific I'll already know the make and model I'm after, or I'll look that up on a review site when I spot a good looking deal on ebay.

I was looking at sim reader writers yesterday
and it was important that most of them said
that the item doesn't come with the software
to do the reading and writing of the data.

Then you do what I do, either pick one in advance that you want, or scan through Ebay, look one up and decide it sux, then scroll down to more expensive ones and look them up on a review site or use the specs the seller lists.

********. Ebay says "next day delivery", or "3 day delivery" etc quite clearly on each item.

Sellers either pride themselves in selling good stuff to get a good reputation, or they sell cheap **** to rip you off.

That and things always cost more,

No they do not. There have never been the
same discounts on Philips Hue gear on ebay
and there has never been as good a price with
the last 8TB external hard drive either.

Every time I've gone to compare prices, Ebay is about 10% less.

You wont find that with the Philips Hue specials.

I've never tried those, but I've tried several times with computer parts and tools.

as their seller fees are higher than Ebay.

Not with the stuff amazon itself sells.

If I can find them.

They are more common than the third party stuff.

It doesn't tell you until you open each item if it's them or someone else. And I can't see any way to limit it to Amazon sales only in the search.

Get to ****. I buy what I want to buy, not what pops up in front of me. Which is why I detest supermarkets putting stuff on sale on seperate portable racks on the end of the aisles I'm not interested in. And often nowhere near the similar items, so I see offers for makeup when I'm trying to buy toilet rolls.

Very often on Ebay I will search for a widget, then narrow it own by
size/capacity/etc until there's a reasonable number to look through.

Yeah but it can be pain in the arse with so
many words used for the stuff you don't want.

I don't need words in most cases. For example I can select disk capacity in the column on the left. Or if I need words, let's say I want a drill bit, and a load of SDS drill bits come up. My drill ain't SDS, so I just add "-SDS" in the search bar and press enter. All SDS bits now vanish from the results.

And the description of the item being sold is much briefer on amazon..

Not always.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Bac...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

It was you that said it was briefer.

And the buggers will no longer ship here from the other amazons world
wide.

What's that to do with Amazon? Don't the sellers send you it themselves?

Nope that's the other big difference with amazon, they have immense
warehouses with the stuff in than ship by amaz9on from there. That's
what fulfilled by amazon means.

It really doesn't interest me where it comes from. I pay the money and it appears at my door.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default FLUSH 252 !!! Lines of the Two Prize Idiots' Troll****!

FLUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH

....and much better air in here, again!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 09:17:47 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

But it isnt when its male female.

For YOU there's no "female", senile *******! If there were, you wouldn't
need to get up EVERY NIGHT between 1 and 4am in Australia, just so you have
someone to talk to on Usenet! VBG

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 13:26:07 -0500, Peter wrote:

On 11/24/2019 9:23 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263483336531

This apparently changes the plug on the end of a male DVI cable to....
er a male plug about 1 inch further away.Â* So, it's a very small
extension lead?Â* Or a gender changer that well.... doesn't.

The only valid use I can think of: Just what you need if your setup
causes a cable you already own to be 1" too short. If the equipment is
rack mounted, the only options might be the adapter or a longer cable.
The adapter is cheaper than buying a longer cable. Admittedly not a
common scenario!

Isn't this a 'port saver'? Fix it to the equipment so that continual
plugging and unplugging wears that, not the port on the equipment.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 24/11/2019 18:26, Peter wrote:
On 11/24/2019 9:23 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263483336531

This apparently changes the plug on the end of a male DVI cable to....
er a male plug about 1 inch further away.* So, it's a very small
extension lead?* Or a gender changer that well.... doesn't.

The only valid use I can think of:* Just what you need if your setup
causes a cable you already own to be 1" too short. If the equipment is
rack mounted, the only options might be the adapter or a longer cable.
The adapter is cheaper than buying a longer cable.* Admittedly not a
common scenario!

Commonly used to permanently mount to a device, to avoid wear and tear
on the fixed connector where the cable is removed and replaced
frequently. Could also be useful to stand off an unusually wide-bodied
connector that doesn't fit into a recessed port.

SteveW

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 11/24/2019 02:22 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11/24/19 2:00 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

Plenty have got a full refund from Amazon but its not clear how often
that happens with third party sellers on amazon as opposed to stuff
that amazon themselves are selling. That's the big difference with
ebay, ebay doesn't actually sell stuff itself.

That (having a problem with Amazon orders from third-party sellers) has
happened to me 3 times IIRC:

1 (little cameras that were cheap useless junk) returned and credited

2 (DVDs that never arrived) credited

3 (defective photo printer) credited with no return required

That's been my experience. I ordered several Photon Micro Lights. One
was an obvious Chinese knock-off. One email to Amazon and I was
credited, no return necessary. I also noticed that vendor was no longer
on the site.

Many Chinese products are perfectly fine but there are always vendors
trying to slip in junk. What has always puzzled me is it takes quite a
bit of work to make a crappy copy of something like the Photon light.
Why not do a little more and make it credible?

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 23:29:28 -0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 13:26:07 -0500, Peter wrote:

On 11/24/2019 9:23 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263483336531

This apparently changes the plug on the end of a male DVI cable to....
er a male plug about 1 inch further away. So, it's a very small
extension lead? Or a gender changer that well.... doesn't.

The only valid use I can think of: Just what you need if your setup
causes a cable you already own to be 1" too short. If the equipment is
rack mounted, the only options might be the adapter or a longer cable.
The adapter is cheaper than buying a longer cable. Admittedly not a
common scenario!

Isn't this a 'port saver'? Fix it to the equipment so that continual
plugging and unplugging wears that, not the port on the equipment.

That would make sense, if it was sold as such. But it says "adapter". It does not adapt in any way.
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 23:33:43 -0000, Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

What I have had problems with is HDMI plugs. Every single HDMI plug I've seen is unnecessarily huge (perhaps some shielding?). Try this - a motherboard where the PCI express socket for the graphics card is in the uppermost position (I always buy ones with them in the 2nd position from the top now). Place this motherboard in 50% of cases where the area where the back of the cards have sockets is inset by half an inch. The topmost card thus has almost zero space to the side of it. You cannot fit an HDMI plug in there. Only solutions? New MB, new case, or put the graphics card in the usually slower secondary slot. Somebody really ****ed up there.
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

newsp.0br691vzwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

Yep, you actually are that stupid.

I've tried on several occasions to find a particular item on both for
comparison - a power tool, a computer part, etc. Ebay always has more
options at a cheaper price,

Try an 8TB external seagate hard drive.

And then have the decency to disembowel yourself.

Ditto with Hue stuff.

er.... the advantage is?

Much better prices with some stuff, particularly
the discounted stuff that Amazon sells themselves.

Much better specific reviews of the individual products.

Vastly better range of books, ebooks, video, movies, music etc.

Yeah well that's what Amazon was made for,

That's wrong too.

it was originally just a book store.

Wrong, as always.

I don't buy books. If I wanted books I'd download them for free.

Most of the best of them arent downloadable for free.

I tried to sell things on Amazon once (custom built PCs), I worked out
they were going to charge me roughly TWICE what Ebay do in seller fees.
No thanks.

Clearly isnt the case with Seagate and Phillips.

Much better range of what they design and have made for them.

I never worked out how to tell who I was buying from.

They say that very explicitly indeed.

Where?

On the main page for that item. Rather radically the Sold by field in the
description.

No such problem in Ebay, I know it's from the seller.

Only because ebay doesn't sell stuff itself, stupid;

It's the most unintuitive piece of **** I've ever used.

Then you need to get out more or get a brain transplant.

Mind you, I don't understand Apple devices either. I guess it's a
different way of thinking?

Nope, your ear to ear dog ****/being a blotto druggy.

Nope,

Yep.

most people don't like Apple interfaces.

That's a bare faced lie with iOS,

The only ONE SINGLE THING I've ever seen that makes sense on Apple is the
dialog boxes.

That's because you actually are that stupid.

The other very useful thing is that with an incoming
phone call or text you are free to take it on your phone,
or your mac or even start the response on one and
finish it on the other if that is a useful thing to do.

Say you get a dialog box that says "Are you sure, yes or no", or "ok or
cancel", whatever. On Apple, the affirmative action is on the right,
where you'd expect, like the accelerator in a car is on the right for more
speed. In Windows it's on the left, and I've never got used to it,
despite almost always using windows, because everything else in life is
right for more, like the volume control on my stereo. I always press the
wrong ****ing button in Windows.

Any decent UI defaults to the safe option
so you just click or tap on the default.

Only a fool farts around moving the
cursor or focus to the one it wants.

Plus I just can't get the hang of their website, it looks too plain, I
feel like I'm back using the net in the 90s.

Mad reason not to use them..

It's a very good reason. Ease of use is very important.

You said plain, not easy to use.

Same thing,

Corse it isnt.

Ebay is more colourful

Bull**** it is.

and very quick for me to spot what to click.

Only because you have wanked yourself completely blind.

The one click buy button on amazon stands out like dogs balls.

I can find what I want on Ebay in a fraction of the time.

That's bull**** with common products like say an 8TB external hard drive.

Just tried that. On Ebay, I typed "8TB external hard disk", then just
clicked "UK", "cheapest first", "buy it now" (as in no auctions), "new".
41 results. Quick scroll to the one that looks good. 30 seconds.

I did that with one click, sort by lowest price with shipping.

On Amazon, I typed "8TB external hard disk", then er.... where is the
country of origin?

Its irrelevant, what matters is the time to arrive
and that stands out like dog balls on amazon.

Cheapest first worked. I guess they don't do auctions?

Corse not, so you don't have to fart around like that.

I guess they don't do used?

They do actually and you can see those on the individual page.

So that's 1 out of 4 options I found.

You don't need the other ones.

And a much better price than ebay.

Particularly when looking for the best price where so many
of the ebay items have more than one item available in the
actual page so the sort by price plus shipping isnt actually
the item you are buying so you have to select the item
itself to see the actual price you will pay.

Nope,

Yep.

that's quite simple. It might say "1TB to 8TB, £20 to £60" Pretty
obvious the 8TB will be £60.

Now try that with something like a li ion battery
charger where the sort on price is sorted on the
lowest price, just the usb cable and you need
to go into the item page to see what the
charger without any battery costs.

Bull**** you do with the cheapest stuff.

or I'll look that up on a review site when I spot a good looking deal on
ebay.

Doest work with the cheapest stuff,

I was looking at sim reader writers yesterday
and it was important that most of them said
that the item doesn't come with the software
to do the reading and writing of the data.

Then you do what I do, either pick one in advance that you want,

Not possible.

or scan through Ebay, look one up and decide it sux, then scroll down to
more expensive ones and look them up on a review site or use the specs the
seller lists.

Useless in this case, The seller says to ask the seller for the
software and its only the reviews that say they respond.

No reviews.

Will it arrive on time, in one piece, and will he honour a warranty?

More important if it will do what you want to do.

And its much easier to see the delivery window on amazon.

********. Ebay says "next day delivery", or "3 day delivery" etc quite
clearly on each item.

Pity about stuff from china that isnt either.

[...]

But are too stupid to have noticed that amazon
often does have the best price, particularly with
the stuff they sell themselves.

as their seller fees are higher than Ebay.

Not with the stuff amazon itself sells.

If I can find them.

They are more common than the third party stuff.

It doesn't tell you until you open each item if it's them or someone else.

Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it.

And I can't see any way to limit it to Amazon sales only in the search.

No point in doing that.

Main thing I don't like with amazon is that the
search terms arent strictly observed so you cant
be so selective about what shows up with a search.

that is a major drawback I forgot to mention.

But can turn up stuff you hadn't
considered which is worth buying too.

Get to ****. I buy what I want to buy, not what pops up in front of me.

Then you are an even bigger fool than
usual when that is something useful.

Which is why I detest supermarkets putting stuff on sale on seperate
portable racks on the end of the aisles I'm not interested in. And often
nowhere near the similar items, so I see offers for makeup when I'm trying
to buy toilet rolls.

Then you should do the decent thing and
set fire to yourself outside their front door.

Very often on Ebay I will search for a widget, then narrow it own by
size/capacity/etc until there's a reasonable number to look through.

Yeah but it can be pain in the arse with so
many words used for the stuff you don't want.

I don't need words in most cases.

You do to produce a reasonable number to look thru.

For example I can select disk capacity in the column on the left. Or if I
need words, let's say I want a drill bit, and a load of SDS drill bits
come up. My drill ain't SDS, so I just add "-SDS" in the search bar and
press enter. All SDS bits now vanish from the results.

Plenty of stuff doesn't have such unique key words.

And the description of the item being sold is much briefer on amazon.

Not always.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Bac...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

It was you that said it was briefer.

That's why I posted that, to say it isnt always so.

And the buggers will no longer ship here from the other amazons world
wide.

What's that to do with Amazon? Don't the sellers send you it
themselves?

Nope that's the other big difference with amazon, they have immense
warehouses with the stuff in than ship by amaz9on from there. That's
what fulfilled by amazon means.

It really doesn't interest me where it comes from.

Must be why you selected UK with the hard drive.

pay the money and it appears at my door.

At your hovel, actually,,

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

newsp.0br91le7wdg98l@glass...
wrote:

[...]

pretty much the same size as any DVI plug.

But since it stands 1" proud of the original, it may well allow
a cable with a bigger than usual block behind the plate that
the screws go into to be attached to a recessed connector.

What I have had problems with is HDMI plugs. Every single HDMI plug I've
seen is unnecessarily huge (perhaps some shielding?).

Nope, that would produce a thicker cable not connector.

Try this - a motherboard where the PCI express socket for the graphics
card is in the uppermost position (I always buy ones with them in the 2nd
position from the top now). Place this motherboard in 50% of cases where
the area where the back of the cards have sockets is inset by half an
inch. The topmost card thus has almost zero space to the side of it. You
cannot fit an HDMI plug in there.

You can in mine, and I have done that.

Only solutions? New MB, new case,

Or get a better case in the first place.

or put the graphics card in the usually slower secondary slot. Somebody
really ****ed up there.

Yep, you did when buying the case.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Never seen that with DVI, all plugs are pretty much the same size.

What I have had problems with is HDMI plugs. Every single HDMI plug I've
seen is unnecessarily huge (perhaps some shielding?).

Nope, that would produce a thicker cable not connector.

But you also shield the connector. Being next to the device, it's probably more likely to pick up interference there.

Try this - a motherboard where the PCI express socket for the graphics
card is in the uppermost position (I always buy ones with them in the 2nd
position from the top now). Place this motherboard in 50% of cases where
the area where the back of the cards have sockets is inset by half an
inch. The topmost card thus has almost zero space to the side of it. You
cannot fit an HDMI plug in there.

You can in mine, and I have done that.

What case and motherboard do you have?

Only solutions? New MB, new case,

Or get a better case in the first place.

It's the better bigger fancier full tower cases that have the problem. The more compact cases don't have the indent.

or put the graphics card in the usually slower secondary slot. Somebody
really ****ed up there.

Yep, you did when buying the case.

**50%** of cases have the problem.