Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Useless things found on ebay number 437

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0brsg6pcwdg98l@glass...
I once bought an adapter to convert two molex power plugs to a 6 pin
graphics card power plug. When it arrived, it was wired up incorrectly.
Both the 5V and 12V lines from the molex (PSU end) were connected together
to feed the graphics card end's 12V pins. When I sent the seller a
message about it, informing them it would have shorted the 5V and 12V
lines, I was told "if it's a good power supply it can handle it". I told
Ebay they were selling a product which could damage people's expensive
equipment or possibly cause a fire. Ebay returned my money, I kept the
adapter, rewired it properly, and it worked fine.

We needed some light bulb adaptors so bulbs with a SES (small Edison screw)
could be used in LBC and SBC (large/small bayonet connector) socket.

We bought some and everyone one of them tripped the circuit breaker in the
consumer unit as soon as a bulb was screwed in. On closer examination, I saw
that the metal contact that touched the tip of the screw fitting was mounted
too high so as the bulb was screwed in, the contact distorted so part of it
touched the screw of the bulb as well as the tip - instant short circuit.

I sent very clear feedback to Amazon that this product was dangerous and not
fit for purpose. I never heard anything back, but I saw that the item was no
longer for sale after that.