Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Useless things found on ebay number 437

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 00:14:12 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0br91le7wdg98l@glass...
On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 23:33:43 -0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 24/11/2019 18:26, Peter wrote:
On 11/24/2019 9:23 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263483336531

This apparently changes the plug on the end of a male DVI cable to....
er a male plug about 1 inch further away. So, it's a very small
extension lead? Or a gender changer that well.... doesn't.

The only valid use I can think of: Just what you need if your setup
causes a cable you already own to be 1" too short. If the equipment is
rack mounted, the only options might be the adapter or a longer cable.
The adapter is cheaper than buying a longer cable. Admittedly not a
common scenario!

Commonly used to permanently mount to a device, to avoid wear and tear
on the fixed connector where the cable is removed and replaced
frequently. Could also be useful to stand off an unusually wide-bodied
connector that doesn't fit into a recessed port.

pretty much the same size as any DVI plug.

But since it stands 1" proud of the original, it may well allow
a cable with a bigger than usual block behind the plate that
the screws go into to be attached to a recessed connector.

Never seen that with DVI, all plugs are pretty much the same size.

What I have had problems with is HDMI plugs. Every single HDMI plug I've
seen is unnecessarily huge (perhaps some shielding?).

Nope, that would produce a thicker cable not connector.

But you also shield the connector. Being next to the device, it's probably more likely to pick up interference there.

Try this - a motherboard where the PCI express socket for the graphics
card is in the uppermost position (I always buy ones with them in the 2nd
position from the top now). Place this motherboard in 50% of cases where
the area where the back of the cards have sockets is inset by half an
inch. The topmost card thus has almost zero space to the side of it. You
cannot fit an HDMI plug in there.

You can in mine, and I have done that.

What case and motherboard do you have?

Only solutions? New MB, new case,

Or get a better case in the first place.

It's the better bigger fancier full tower cases that have the problem. The more compact cases don't have the indent.

or put the graphics card in the usually slower secondary slot. Somebody
really ****ed up there.

Yep, you did when buying the case.

**50%** of cases have the problem.