Posted to alt.home.repair

Default repair zipper on favorite fleece jacket or convert to buttons?

One of my favorite fleece jackets zipper slider mechanism has come off.
Since I don't have a clue as to how to sew and don't want to shell out
too many $ on this, I was hoping to fix it myself. I tried removing the
zipper stopper at the end of the jacket and putting the original back
on, but it doesn't seem to want to zip closed as I run the slider up or
down the jacket making me think maybe the zippers themselves are bad.
So, what are some cheap options (other than a new jacket which is next
to impossible to find at decent prices with winter just around the
corner)? I was thinking it might be possible to convert to a button up
and down??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Take to a seamstress or local drycleaner. They can fix on the cheap. Cheap meaning 10 bucks. I did sewing for 20 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/19 3:59 PM, Jim Horton wrote:
One of my favorite fleece jackets zipper slider mechanism has come off.
Since I don't have a clue as to how to sew and don't want to shell out
too many $ on this, I was hoping to fix it myself.Â* I tried removing the
zipper stopper at the end of the jacket and putting the original back
on, but it doesn't seem to want to zip closed as I run the slider up or
down the jacket making me think maybe the zippers themselves are bad.
So, what are some cheap options (other thanÂ* a new jacket which is next
to impossible to find at decent prices with winter just around the
corner)?Â* I was thinking it might be possible to convert to a button up
and down??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I had the same problem with a favorite winter jacket. For less than $20
I got a local tailor/seamstress shop to replace the zipper.

Even if I could find a suitable replacement, it would be way more than $20

BTW, if sewing zippers is a challenge, don't even try button-holes ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2019 01:59 PM, Jim Horton wrote:
One of my favorite fleece jackets zipper slider mechanism has come off.
Since I don't have a clue as to how to sew and don't want to shell out
too many $ on this, I was hoping to fix it myself. I tried removing the
zipper stopper at the end of the jacket and putting the original back
on, but it doesn't seem to want to zip closed as I run the slider up or
down the jacket making me think maybe the zippers themselves are bad.
So, what are some cheap options (other than a new jacket which is next
to impossible to find at decent prices with winter just around the
corner)? I was thinking it might be possible to convert to a button up
and down??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Get an new slider. That's the part that wears out. A place like Joann
Fabrics usually has a selection although I've had to buy the larger ones
for a leather motorcycle jacket on the web.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/19 10:39 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

I tried this tonight. While the slider went on and seemed to zip up and
down, the zippers came apart almost as fast. I got the same size as the
original, #5. Just to be sure, I measured across the zipper and it was
5 mm. So not sure why it won't now stay zipped closed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2019 10:50 PM, Jim Horton wrote:
[...]

I suppose the teeth or coils could be worn. I haven't run into that so
far. I bought one of those assortment packs of sliders and it's done the
job. I think I'm on my third slider for the bike jacket. It's got the
old school steel teeth and you can see the wear on the slider.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/19 1:58 AM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

I tried this tonight.Â* While the slider went on and seemed to zip up and
down, the zippers came apart almost as fast.Â* I got the same size as the
original, #5.Â* Just to be sure, I measured across the zipper and it was
5 mm.Â* So not sure why it won't now stay zipped closed.

I suppose the teeth or coils could be worn. I haven't run into that so
far. I bought one of those assortment packs of sliders and it's done the
job. I think I'm on my third slider for the bike jacket. It's got the
old school steel teeth and you can see the wear on the slider.

If I'm not careful, I'll end up spending more than the coat costs.
Those assortment packs, at least the ones I've seen, can be expensive.
I've already started looking for a replacement. It was a brand called
"on line" actually, sort of weird, and naturally everything comes up in
a search. 80% cotton, 20% poly. I love the coat because of its
smoothness and the way it feels. I have one other where the zipper just
lost its pull up, but a paper clip fixed that. Wish this one had been
that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Zipper repair kit - 2 sizes - made in USA . .

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...er-repair-kits

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 26 Oct 2019 10:20:10 -0400, Jim Horton
wrote:

[...]

Two people said go to a seamstress or local drycleaner. Have you even
asked one for a price?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/19 11:41 AM, wrote:

Zipper repair kit - 2 sizes - made in USA . .

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...er-repair-kits

John T.

Thanks, I actually came across this yesterday. However, by the time
shipping costs are added, I might as well buy another jacket.
Interesting idea, however. I think it must be compressing a clamp down
around the zipper and the amount of compression is why it can be used
for various sizes. I might have a go at it myself if I find the time
and using one of my unused zippers here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/19 11:49 AM, micky wrote:

Two people said go to a seamstress or local drycleaner. Have you even
asked one for a price?

My local drycleaner wants to charge $14.99 not including tax, more than
I paid for the jacket. I don't know any local seamstresses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 26 Oct 2019 11:53:59 -0400, Jim Horton
wrote:

On 10/26/19 11:49 AM, micky wrote:

Two people said go to a seamstress or local drycleaner. Have you even
asked one for a price?

My local drycleaner wants to charge $14.99 not including tax, more than
I paid for the jacket. I don't know any local seamstresses.

Good. thought you hadn't even asked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

18 buck jacket? Tack on some velcro.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 01:53:29 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

18 buck jacket? Tack on some velcro.

Or go find a nicer one at Value Village for $7
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 26, 2019 at 11:54:03 AM UTC-4, Jim Horton wrote:
On 10/26/19 11:49 AM, micky wrote:

Two people said go to a seamstress or local drycleaner. Have you even
asked one for a price?

My local drycleaner wants to charge $14.99 not including tax, more than
I paid for the jacket. I don't know any local seamstresses.

You might not be able to find another one just like it. If you're as fond
of that jacket as you said, it might be worth it to have it repaired.
Even if you could find another identical one, it might cost more than
$14.99 now.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/19 6:21 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Saturday, October 26, 2019 at 11:54:03 AM UTC-4, Jim Horton wrote:
On 10/26/19 11:49 AM, micky wrote:

Two people said go to a seamstress or local drycleaner. Have you even
asked one for a price?

My local drycleaner wants to charge $14.99 not including tax, more than
I paid for the jacket. I don't know any local seamstresses.

You might not be able to find another one just like it. If you're as fond
of that jacket as you said, it might be worth it to have it repaired.
Even if you could find another identical one, it might cost more than
$14.99 now.

Cindy Hamilton

I decided to investigate this a little further. Turns out that when I
purchased the local Walmart zippers to try and harvest just the sliders,
they were not of the coil type like the jacket has. So it was no wonder
a #5 wouldn't keep the zipper closed because I was using the wrong one.
So, I have ordered a couple of coil sizes, in both #4.5 and #5 since I
wasn't absolutely sure. The original slider has a "5" in a small circle
on the back, which I assume is the size, but I also read that could be a
die number too, so I also measured across the zipper with a metric
ruler. The distance was either 4.5 or 5, so ordered in both sizes.
About the only place I found online with reasonable zipper slider prices
seemed to be a firm called Sailrite. Ebay venders had out of the world
prices by the time shipping was added, so that was definitely out. So,
for less than $5 with shipping, the zippers are on the way. If they
don't do it, time to trash the coat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 10:47:31 -0400, Jim Horton
wrote:

[...]

I find it puzzling that you would expend this much
time & effort to save your beloved coat -
yet balk at paying the local Portuguese lady ~ $ 15.
to professionally install a new zipper .
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/19 10:56 PM, rbowman wrote:

Over the years I've saved quite a bit of money fixing zippers. There
definitely are two flavors, the ones with teeth like on your jeans, and
the coil type. Sailrite is good. I've gotten the #10 metal sliders for
my motorcycle jacket from them. 10's are hard to find locally,
particularly the metal ones. Plastic wears a lot faster on metal teeth.
I do have an old 60/40 parka with plastic teeth that takes a #10 and
plastic sliders work fine for that.

Me too, and even more so saved when I started fixing many of my car
issues. Thanks to Youtube and the proper tools, I've managed to save
quite a lot.

I usually first turn to eBay for small things like zippers, but I
thought the prices were out of this world just for a single zipper
slider or two, unless one wanted to wait for weeks for something from
China. I don't know how some of the US venders sell anything on there.
There was a zipper, for example, at a BIN for like $2, then $9 shipping.
No thank you. Sailrite seemed to have the best prices I could find
and with very reasonable shipping options.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 28 Oct 2019 10:47:31 -0400, Jim Horton
wrote:

[...]

Instead of trashing it, why not give it to Goodwill Industries or the
Salvation Army. Goodwill will repair it themselves (if they still do
that) and sell it, and use the money mostly for job training for
handicapped people. I don't think the salvation army repairs things but
they may sell it to someone who can repair it, someone will wear it even
though it doesn't close, or ship it abroad to people who need clothes.

At any rate, it's not just you, but loads of people who it seems just
throw in the trash things they cannnot use instead of giving them to one
of these two places or another charitable thrift shop. It's wasteful
and I don't understand it, especially from someone who doesn't have
unlimited income himself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/19 5:52 PM, micky wrote:

Instead of trashing it, why not give it to Goodwill Industries or the
Salvation Army. Goodwill will repair it themselves (if they still do
that) and sell it, and use the money mostly for job training for
handicapped people. I don't think the salvation army repairs things but
they may sell it to someone who can repair it, someone will wear it even
though it doesn't close, or ship it abroad to people who need clothes.

At any rate, it's not just you, but loads of people who it seems just
throw in the trash things they cannnot use instead of giving them to one
of these two places or another charitable thrift shop. It's wasteful
and I don't understand it, especially from someone who doesn't have
unlimited income himself.

And THANK YOU for the kind reminder! The jacket is in good enough shape
that I will either do as you suggest, if I'm not able to fix it, or
there are two clothing bins nearby always looking for unwanted clothing
and I could place it in one of those. I'm actually kicking myself for
not thinking of those who may be in need here!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/19 5:56 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

There are other free listing places such as Facebook.

I got rid of my fish tank last Fall through Facebook marketplace.
Initially, I was going to sell it, but wanted to move it out in a hurry,
so put it up for free. Within hours, a happy mom and child came by and
picked up a nice 24 g tank, Biowheel filter, extra filters, heater and
extra food. They were more than happy to receive it! As for the single
fish, which was a ten year old convict cichlid, I gave him back to the
store where I purchased him/ her. That convict was the toughest fish
I'd ever owned! I even gave "him" a name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 29 Oct 2019 18:10:40 -0400, Jim Horton
wrote:

On 10/29/19 5:52 PM, micky wrote:

Instead of trashing it, why not give it to Goodwill Industries or the
Salvation Army. Goodwill will repair it themselves (if they still do
that) and sell it, and use the money mostly for job training for
handicapped people. I don't think the salvation army repairs things but
they may sell it to someone who can repair it, someone will wear it even
though it doesn't close, or ship it abroad to people who need clothes.

At any rate, it's not just you, but loads of people who it seems just
throw in the trash things they cannnot use instead of giving them to one
of these two places or another charitable thrift shop. It's wasteful
and I don't understand it, especially from someone who doesn't have
unlimited income himself.

And THANK YOU for the kind reminder! The jacket is in good enough shape

You're welcome. It's rare that advice here that can be construed as
criticism is taken so well.