Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Horton Jim Horton is offline

Default repair zipper on favorite fleece jacket or convert to buttons?

On 10/25/19 10:39 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 10/25/2019 01:59 PM, Jim Horton wrote:
One of my favorite fleece jackets zipper slider mechanism has come off.
Since I don't have a clue as to how to sew and don't want to shell out
too many $ on this, I was hoping to fix it myself.Â* I tried removing the
zipper stopper at the end of the jacket and putting the original back
on, but it doesn't seem to want to zip closed as I run the slider up or
down the jacket making me think maybe the zippers themselves are bad.
So, what are some cheap options (other thanÂ* a new jacket which is next
to impossible to find at decent prices with winter just around the
corner)?Â* I was thinking it might be possible to convert to a button up
and down??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Get an new slider. That's the part that wears out. A place like Joann
Fabrics usually has a selection although I've had to buy the larger ones
for a leather motorcycle jacket on the web.

I tried this tonight. While the slider went on and seemed to zip up and
down, the zippers came apart almost as fast. I got the same size as the
original, #5. Just to be sure, I measured across the zipper and it was
5 mm. So not sure why it won't now stay zipped closed.