Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replace zipper 'tags', how?

I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement? The zippers in question are quite
small, the original pullers were about 1cm diameter disks in one case
and the more normal rectangular piece of metal (10mm x 5mm ??) in the
other.

Replacing the zippers isn't really an option, it would be very
difficult to do well.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:04:27 +0000 (UTC) wrote :
Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement?

One of my jackets has a small nylon cable tie doing this: pulled
through the appropriate size, cut and welded with a soldering iron.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Berry wrote:
Small stainless steel split ring (=keyring) from an anglers' shop, attached
to anything you fancy (small coin, drilled for the split ring; old padlock
key; larger split ring.....)

How small can you get them, they sound ideal if small enough.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Berry

wrote in message ...
Adrian Berry wrote:
Small stainless steel split ring (=keyring) from an anglers' shop,
attached
to anything you fancy (small coin, drilled for the split ring; old
padlock
key; larger split ring.....)

How small can you get them, they sound ideal if small enough.

--
Chris Green

I've seen them down to about 3 or 4mm outside diameter but they are too
fiddly to put on a zipper. I have used ones about 6mm for this purpose
successfully.

Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

wrote in message ...
I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement? The zippers in question are quite
small, the original pullers were about 1cm diameter disks in one case
and the more normal rectangular piece of metal (10mm x 5mm ??) in the
other.

Replacing the zippers isn't really an option, it would be very
difficult to do well.

Boot laces
various colours
strong
don't hurt if you catch yourself on them
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

usenet wrote:
I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement?

Similar ideas to elsewhere in this thread. However,
some zipper pulls incorporate a little which engages
with the track to stop it undoing when the zip pull
is flat. If there's no tang, it can be a source of
some embarrassment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, wrote:
I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement?

Key rings.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

Adrian Berry wrote:

Small stainless steel split ring (=keyring) from an anglers' shop, attached
to anything you fancy (small coin, drilled for the split ring; old padlock
key; larger split ring.....)

Most good sewing supplies places, will have replacement zipper pulls.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz

wrote in message ...
I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement? The zippers in question are quite
small, the original pullers were about 1cm diameter disks in one case
and the more normal rectangular piece of metal (10mm x 5mm ??) in the
other.

http://tinyurl.com/7op9a

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try using beads. Something wooden, or maybe coin silver with an
interesting pattern, would be functional without looking too "girlie."

Slide the bead onto a "head pin," (a jewelry finding that looks like a
regular dressmaker's pin but is longer, and blunt) or even a regular
pin, if you can find one long enough. Use a pair of needlenose pliers
to form a circle (possible 2 or 3 loops) in the end and thread this
onto the top of the zipper where you were attaching your paper clips.

Most craft stores have inexpensive head pins. You'll probably want to
look for something about 5 cm or more - you can always cut off any
excess!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

wrote in message
I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

I have used keyrings on some larger zips before.
You used to be able to get small ones in places like poundland.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes

wrote in message ...
I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement? The zippers in question are quite
small, the original pullers were about 1cm diameter disks in one case
and the more normal rectangular piece of metal (10mm x 5mm ??) in the
other.

Why not use a split rinmg ... type used as key rings ... when I played about
with the boys in Green, the pull ring from an L2 fragmentation grenade used
to a popular item for repairing zips.

Consider plaiting a leather or nylon thin rope ... plastic version is
popular with kids at the moment ... used to be called Scoobydo when I was a
kid, don't know what it is called now.

On a large canvas holdall I use for diving kit ... I used a thin 3 ply rope
and spliced it on ... i.e. formed an eye-splice though a key ring split ring
and fitted that.