DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replace zipper 'tags', how? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/140992-replace-zipper-tags-how.html)

[email protected] January 19th 06 01:04 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement? The zippers in question are quite
small, the original pullers were about 1cm diameter disks in one case
and the more normal rectangular piece of metal (10mm x 5mm ??) in the
other.

Replacing the zippers isn't really an option, it would be very
difficult to do well.

--
Chris Green

EricP January 19th 06 01:41 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:04:27 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

Marvelous how people arrive at the same conclusion, paper clips here
as well.

Finally ended up copper/silver plating the paper clip. Looks a bit
beter and works superbly.

The only alternative we found was to weave a little toggle from copper
wire, after threading through the hole.

Problem is, it breaks off after a while and has to be replaced.

Adrian Berry January 19th 06 01:43 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

Small stainless steel split ring (=keyring) from an anglers' shop, attached
to anything you fancy (small coin, drilled for the split ring; old padlock
key; larger split ring.....)

Adrian

[email protected] January 19th 06 01:53 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

wrote:
I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement? The zippers in question are quite
small, the original pullers were about 1cm diameter disks in one case
and the more normal rectangular piece of metal (10mm x 5mm ??) in the
other.

Replacing the zippers isn't really an option, it would be very
difficult to do well.

If you have kids, or young nieces or nephews, ask them about
"scoobies".

MBQ

Tony Bryer January 19th 06 02:02 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:04:27 +0000 (UTC) wrote :
Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement?

One of my jackets has a small nylon cable tie doing this: pulled
through the appropriate size, cut and welded with a soldering iron.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

[email protected] January 19th 06 02:03 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

EricP wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:04:27 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

Marvelous how people arrive at the same conclusion, paper clips here
as well.

:-)

Finally ended up copper/silver plating the paper clip. Looks a bit
beter and works superbly.

I had wondered about 'whipping' the paper clip round the open end so
it won't pull open. The whipping would be very fine wire. Rather
laborious I suspect but effective. Alterntively one could solder the
paper clip.

The only alternative we found was to weave a little toggle from copper
wire, after threading through the hole.

Problem is, it breaks off after a while and has to be replaced.

Like the originals! :-)

--
Chris Green

[email protected] January 19th 06 02:04 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

Adrian Berry wrote:
Small stainless steel split ring (=keyring) from an anglers' shop, attached
to anything you fancy (small coin, drilled for the split ring; old padlock
key; larger split ring.....)

How small can you get them, they sound ideal if small enough.

--
Chris Green

Adrian Berry January 19th 06 02:11 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

wrote in message ...
Adrian Berry wrote:
Small stainless steel split ring (=keyring) from an anglers' shop,
attached
to anything you fancy (small coin, drilled for the split ring; old
padlock
key; larger split ring.....)

How small can you get them, they sound ideal if small enough.

--
Chris Green

I've seen them down to about 3 or 4mm outside diameter but they are too
fiddly to put on a zipper. I have used ones about 6mm for this purpose
successfully.

Adrian

Vass January 19th 06 02:26 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

wrote in message ...
I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement? The zippers in question are quite
small, the original pullers were about 1cm diameter disks in one case
and the more normal rectangular piece of metal (10mm x 5mm ??) in the
other.

Replacing the zippers isn't really an option, it would be very
difficult to do well.

Boot laces
various colours
strong
don't hurt if you catch yourself on them
--
Vass

Chris Bacon January 19th 06 02:32 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

usenet wrote:
I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement?

Similar ideas to elsewhere in this thread. However,
some zipper pulls incorporate a little which engages
with the track to stop it undoing when the zip pull
is flat. If there's no tang, it can be a source of
some embarrassment.

Mike Barnes January 19th 06 03:11 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

In uk.d-i-y, wrote:
I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement?

Key rings.

--
Mike Barnes

The3rd Earl Of Derby January 19th 06 03:21 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

wrote:
Replacing the zippers isn't really an option, it would be very
difficult to do well.

So ask people for their old jeans,coats ect and take the pullers off and
discard the clothes.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

[email protected] January 19th 06 03:30 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
wrote:
Replacing the zippers isn't really an option, it would be very
difficult to do well.

So ask people for their old jeans,coats ect and take the pullers off and
discard the clothes.

They look as if they're "one piece" so I don't think the pullers of
old zips would help much. It's an idea though, I'll take a closer
look as we have a store of old zips and even buying a new one to
cannibalise it wouldn't be too expensive.

--
Chris Green

somebody January 19th 06 03:59 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

In message , writes
Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement? The zippers in question are quite
small, the original pullers were about 1cm diameter disks in one case
and the more normal rectangular piece of metal (10mm x 5mm ??) in the
other.

Many years a motorcycle clothing shop gave me some replacement tags.
They are (were?) actually made for the job. Hook it into the zip, clip
it shut and virtually as good as new.

No idea if they're still made and can't find them on google either :-(
Someone

S Viemeister January 19th 06 04:07 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

Adrian Berry wrote:

Small stainless steel split ring (=keyring) from an anglers' shop, attached
to anything you fancy (small coin, drilled for the split ring; old padlock
key; larger split ring.....)

Most good sewing supplies places, will have replacement zipper pulls.

Suz January 20th 06 12:36 AM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

http://tinyurl.com/7op9a

[email protected] January 20th 06 04:58 AM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

Try using beads. Something wooden, or maybe coin silver with an
interesting pattern, would be functional without looking too "girlie."

Slide the bead onto a "head pin," (a jewelry finding that looks like a
regular dressmaker's pin but is longer, and blunt) or even a regular
pin, if you can find one long enough. Use a pair of needlenose pliers
to form a circle (possible 2 or 3 loops) in the end and thread this
onto the top of the zipper where you were attaching your paper clips.

Most craft stores have inexpensive head pins. You'll probably want to
look for something about 5 cm or more - you can always cut off any
excess!

dennis@home January 20th 06 09:08 AM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

wrote in message
I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

I have used keyrings on some larger zips before.
You used to be able to get small ones in places like poundland.

Rick Hughes January 23rd 06 10:45 PM

Replace zipper 'tags', how?

wrote in message ...
I have a number of zippers which, while perfectly serviceable, have
lost the little puller that allows you to pull the zip open or closed
easily. I've replaced a couple of these with paper clips but these
aren't ideal really as they're not quite stiff/strong enough.

Has anyone got any ideas for alternatives to paper clips which would
be cheap and easy to implement? The zippers in question are quite
small, the original pullers were about 1cm diameter disks in one case
and the more normal rectangular piece of metal (10mm x 5mm ??) in the
other.

Why not use a split rinmg ... type used as key rings ... when I played about
with the boys in Green, the pull ring from an L2 fragmentation grenade used
to a popular item for repairing zips.

Consider plaiting a leather or nylon thin rope ... plastic version is
popular with kids at the moment ... used to be called Scoobydo when I was a
kid, don't know what it is called now.

On a large canvas holdall I use for diving kit ... I used a thin 3 ply rope
and spliced it on ... i.e. formed an eye-splice though a key ring split ring
and fitted that.