Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Horton Jim Horton is offline

Default repair zipper on favorite fleece jacket or convert to buttons?

On 10/28/19 10:56 PM, rbowman wrote:

Over the years I've saved quite a bit of money fixing zippers. There
definitely are two flavors, the ones with teeth like on your jeans, and
the coil type. Sailrite is good. I've gotten the #10 metal sliders for
my motorcycle jacket from them. 10's are hard to find locally,
particularly the metal ones. Plastic wears a lot faster on metal teeth.
I do have an old 60/40 parka with plastic teeth that takes a #10 and
plastic sliders work fine for that.

Me too, and even more so saved when I started fixing many of my car
issues. Thanks to Youtube and the proper tools, I've managed to save
quite a lot.

I usually first turn to eBay for small things like zippers, but I
thought the prices were out of this world just for a single zipper
slider or two, unless one wanted to wait for weeks for something from
China. I don't know how some of the US venders sell anything on there.
There was a zipper, for example, at a BIN for like $2, then $9 shipping.
No thank you. Sailrite seemed to have the best prices I could find
and with very reasonable shipping options.