Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Horton Jim Horton is offline

Default repair zipper on favorite fleece jacket or convert to buttons?

On 10/26/19 1:58 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 10/25/2019 10:50 PM, Jim Horton wrote:
On 10/25/19 10:39 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 10/25/2019 01:59 PM, Jim Horton wrote:
One of my favorite fleece jackets zipper slider mechanism has come off.
Since I don't have a clue as to how to sew and don't want to shell out
too many $ on this, I was hoping to fix it myself.Â* I tried removing
the
zipper stopper at the end of the jacket and putting the original back
on, but it doesn't seem to want to zip closed as I run the slider up or
down the jacket making me think maybe the zippers themselves are bad.
So, what are some cheap options (other thanÂ* a new jacket which is next
to impossible to find at decent prices with winter just around the
corner)?Â* I was thinking it might be possible to convert to a button up
and down??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Get an new slider. That's the part that wears out. A place like Joann
Fabrics usually has a selection although I've had to buy the larger
ones for a leather motorcycle jacket on the web.

I tried this tonight.Â* While the slider went on and seemed to zip up and
down, the zippers came apart almost as fast.Â* I got the same size as the
original, #5.Â* Just to be sure, I measured across the zipper and it was
5 mm.Â* So not sure why it won't now stay zipped closed.

I suppose the teeth or coils could be worn. I haven't run into that so
far. I bought one of those assortment packs of sliders and it's done the
job. I think I'm on my third slider for the bike jacket. It's got the
old school steel teeth and you can see the wear on the slider.

If I'm not careful, I'll end up spending more than the coat costs.
Those assortment packs, at least the ones I've seen, can be expensive.
I've already started looking for a replacement. It was a brand called
"on line" actually, sort of weird, and naturally everything comes up in
a search. 80% cotton, 20% poly. I love the coat because of its
smoothness and the way it feels. I have one other where the zipper just
lost its pull up, but a paper clip fixed that. Wish this one had been
that way.