Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

Default Better electric razor

I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

It does a poor job of shaving, taking multiple passes and it also pulls hairs even with new blades.

Any recommendations on something better?

Preferably one whose blade replacements do not cost almost as much as a new razor.

Thanks,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gilette disposable. Under a buck, one a month.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 14:13:05 -0700, A K wrote:

I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

The electric razor is seen by many as being a great invention
of modern times that liberates men from the drudgery of
soap-and-water shaving.

But the electric razor also produces an intense magnetic
field that literally bathes the brain for the several
minutes that are spent daily in using it.

Although still controversial, the effects of EM radiation
of this magnitude can induce cancers of the brain.

I would prefer a wind-up mechanical razor but, in spite
of my exhaustive searches, I cannot find any company
on the planet that produces one.

A wind-up mechanical razor would be fantastic to own.

Since I cannot locate a wind-up mechanical razor I've
gone back to the soap-and-water, safety razor method.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Oct 2019 23:13:23 GMT, F Russell wrote:

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 14:13:05 -0700, A K wrote:

I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

The electric razor is seen by many as being a great invention
of modern times that liberates men from the drudgery of
soap-and-water shaving.

But the electric razor also produces an intense magnetic
field that literally bathes the brain for the several
minutes that are spent daily in using it.

Although still controversial, the effects of EM radiation
of this magnitude can induce cancers of the brain.

I would prefer a wind-up mechanical razor but, in spite
of my exhaustive searches, I cannot find any company
on the planet that produces one.

A wind-up mechanical razor would be fantastic to own.

Since I cannot locate a wind-up mechanical razor I've
gone back to the soap-and-water, safety razor method.

The magnetic feild on the rotary razor is very minor compared to the
old vibrating shavers. They run for hours on a less than 3ah 3.7 volt
battery foe crying out loud/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/19 4:13 PM, A K wrote:
I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

It does a poor job of shaving, taking multiple passes and it also pulls hairs even with new blades.

Any recommendations on something better?

Preferably one whose blade replacements do not cost almost as much as a new razor.

Thanks,
Andy

PanasonicArc4 Multi-Flex ES-LA63-s has a score of 77. The top score is
80 in their tests of other razors. Those are well over $200. This
Panasonic is just over $100 at Amazon and Walmart.
I've been using a blade for years. The prices of the electrics got
to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/19 2:13 PM, A K wrote:
I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

It does a poor job of shaving, taking multiple passes and it also pulls hairs even with new blades.

Any recommendations on something better?

Preferably one whose blade replacements do not cost almost as much as a new razor.

Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy,

You do realize that electric razors, also know as electric
hair pullers or electric face massagers, are our Wives'
revenge for buying them that $4.00 bottle of perfume
from WalMart?

Never met one that actually worked.

:'(

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/19 7:37 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 10/24/19 4:13 PM, A K wrote:
I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

It does a poor job of shaving, taking multiple passes and it also
pulls hairs even with new blades.

Any recommendations on something better?

Preferably one whose blade replacements do not cost almost as much as
a new razor.

Thanks,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Andy

PanasonicArc4 Multi-Flex ES-LA63-sÂ* has a score of 77.Â* The top score is
80 in their tests of other razors.Â*Â*Â*Â* Those are well over $200.Â*Â* This
Panasonic is just over $100 at Amazon and Walmart.
Â*Â* I've been using a blade for years.Â* The prices of the electrics got
to me.

It would've been nice if I had mentioned that the tests I
referenced are from
Consumer Reports.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 4:13:10 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

It does a poor job of shaving, taking multiple passes and it also pulls hairs even with new blades.

Any recommendations on something better?

Preferably one whose blade replacements do not cost almost as much as a new razor.

Thanks,
Andy

Nothing shaves closer than a new sharp blade and shaving cream! In my 40+ years of shaving experience! Electrics can't touch a blade.

John Kuthe...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 24 Oct 2019 19:48:54 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
wrote:

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 4:13:10 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

It does a poor job of shaving, taking multiple passes and it also pulls hairs even with new blades.

Any recommendations on something better?

Preferably one whose blade replacements do not cost almost as much as a new razor.

Thanks,
Andy

Nothing shaves closer than a new sharp blade and shaving cream! In my 40+ years of shaving experience! Electrics can't touch a blade.

John Kuthe...

When I was still shaving, I used a double edged** blade with no shaving
cream. **Not 2 edges like a bic, but a classic blade, a rectangle
sharpened on both sides.

I forget why I stopped using shave cream but I like it better without.

I found very light plastic razors for sale at an odd-lots store, that
looked so cheap they were given out at hotels. I think they were 5c a
piece and I bought two. I like them and next time I was there I bought
8 more. But it's been 40 years now and they've gotten lost or broken
and I have only one now.

I've found others almost as light.

A new blade is actually too sharp and I had to be very careful not to
cust my skin, but after a couple times I could use it for 10 times or
maybe more before it got too dull.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 4:14:34 PM UTC-7, F Russell wrote:
On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 14:13:05 -0700, A K wrote:

I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

The electric razor is seen by many as being a great invention
of modern times that liberates men from the drudgery of
soap-and-water shaving.

But the electric razor also produces an intense magnetic
field that literally bathes the brain for the several
minutes that are spent daily in using it.

Although still controversial, the effects of EM radiation
of this magnitude can induce cancers of the brain.

I would prefer a wind-up mechanical razor but, in spite
of my exhaustive searches, I cannot find any company
on the planet that produces one.

A wind-up mechanical razor would be fantastic to own.

Since I cannot locate a wind-up mechanical razor I've
gone back to the soap-and-water, safety razor method.

What is an electric *razor*?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/19 2:13 PM, A K wrote:
I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

It does a poor job of shaving, taking multiple passes and it also pulls hairs even with new blades.

Any recommendations on something better?

Preferably one whose blade replacements do not cost almost as much as a new razor.

Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy,

You do realize that electric razors, also know as electric
hair pullers or electric face massagers, are our Wives'
revenge for buying them that $4.00 bottle of perfume
from WalMart?

Never met one that actually worked.

:'(

-T

What is an electric *razor*?

A razor that is electric. Have you never seen one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/19 2:13 PM, A K wrote:
I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

It does a poor job of shaving, taking multiple passes and it also pulls hairs even with new blades.

Any recommendations on something better?

Preferably one whose blade replacements do not cost almost as much as a new razor.

Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy,

You do realize that electric razors, also know as electric
hair pullers or electric face massagers, are our Wives'
revenge for buying them that $4.00 bottle of perfume
from WalMart?

Never met one that actually worked.

:'(

-T

What is an electric *razor*?

A razor that is electric. Have you never seen one?

They either pull your hair out or the gently message
your face
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/19 2:13 PM, A K wrote:
I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

It does a poor job of shaving, taking multiple passes and it also pulls hairs even with new blades.

Any recommendations on something better?

Preferably one whose blade replacements do not cost almost as much as a new razor.

Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy,

You do realize that electric razors, also know as electric
hair pullers or electric face massagers, are our Wives'
revenge for buying them that $4.00 bottle of perfume
from WalMart?

Never met one that actually worked.

:'(

-T

What is an electric *razor*?

A razor that is electric. Have you never seen one?

They either pull your hair out or the gently message
your face

The Ronson razor didnt' pull your hair out and it would cut so closely
you had to be careful not to push it against your face, or, despite how
small the holes were (substantially less than a mm.) you would push your
skin into the holes and the blades would cut off a little bit. Blood
would not gush, but it woould seep out from a bunch of places with the
same pattern as the holes.

I first tried my cousin's razor, and after I made the mistake of pushing
it againt my skin once, at most twice, I got a very close shave from it.
But I think it encouraged pimples. I think it ground up the whiskers**
and pushed them into my pores. It's surprising I didn't get more
pimples than I did. Now that I'm older and don't get pimples anymore,
I wonder if it would be perfect. But they don't make it anymore.

**When you cleaned the razor you could see the whisker dust inside it.
Smaller than ground pepper.

There was another brand that worked the same way but I don't know if the
blades were interchangeable, and later they certainly weren't. . I
replaced the blade once after about 5 years, and 5 years seems about
right. The blade wasn't that expensive.

But I don't think they make that successor anymore now. There are
mostly rotary razors for sale, which have stiff screens, so thick they
coudn't be bent without permanently bending them, and were famous in the
60's for not shaving closely. The Ronson screen otoh was almost as
thin and flexible as a Time magazine cover. Thinner than a Life magazine
cover. It was replaceable too and came flat but had to be bent to go
into its holder, and if you were really careless and bent it the wrong
way too much, you could crease it and ruin it.

Aha, the Braun is something like the Ronson, and is called a "foil
shaver". That refers to the very thin screen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 25 Oct 2019 08:58:56 -0400, micky
wrote:

Aha, the Braun is something like the Ronson, and is called a "foil
shaver". That refers to the very thin screen.

Turns out the Panasonic is much better than Braun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 4:13:10 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

It does a poor job of shaving, taking multiple passes and it also pulls hairs even with new blades.

Any recommendations on something better?

Preferably one whose blade replacements do not cost almost as much as a new razor.

Thanks,
Andy

Nothing shaves closer than a new sharp blade and shaving cream! In my 40+ years of shaving experience! Electrics can't touch a blade.

John Kuthe...

When I was still shaving, I used a double edged** blade with no shaving
cream. **Not 2 edges like a bic, but a classic blade, a rectangle
sharpened on both sides.

And then you discovered HRT. Problem solved.
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On 10/24/19 2:13 PM, A K wrote:
I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

It does a poor job of shaving, taking multiple passes and it also pulls hairs even with new blades.

Any recommendations on something better?

Preferably one whose blade replacements do not cost almost as much as a new razor.

Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy,

You do realize that electric razors, also know as electric
hair pullers or electric face massagers, are our Wives'
revenge for buying them that $4.00 bottle of perfume
from WalMart?

Never met one that actually worked.

:'(

-T

What is an electric *razor*?

A razor that is electric. Have you never seen one?

They either pull your hair out or the gently message
your face

In researching electric razors, I saw that many work wet.

So I decided to experiment with my "dry" only rotary razor.

I wet my face and put on foam shaving cream.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it shaved almost as well as a blade shave.

And NO pulling of hairs either. :-)

I just had to rinse it off about 5 times.
No water got even close to getting much below the blades.

I would think the wet method should extend the life of the blades.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/19 2:13 PM, A K wrote:
[...]

Um, dude, the reason we shave with an electric is to avoid the hassle of shaving cream, sinks, cleanup, and time. We give up a little of the closeness of shave for the convenience.

You've figured a way to combine the worst features of both.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not sure about razors but I gave up on battery razors and went to plug in the wall type. You have to replace them every couple of years as the batteries die. At least all Im replacing is the blades, but I get full power all the time.
Just my thoughts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2019 12:27 PM, A K wrote:
Norelco 6424

If your razor is corded what you did may not be safe.
My Norelco which is attached to a recharging base is battery operated
and the base current is low voltage. It can be used wet/dry but I never
shaved with shaving cream.

I've been using electric razors for 20 years when I went on blood
thinners for life. Rotary with slits works fine. Screens are fine
except if you miss a stray longer hair they will not cut it as it
flattens when you shave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2019 1:24 PM, Steve Wolf wrote:
Not sure about razors but I gave up on battery razors and went to plug in the wall type. You have to replace them every couple of years as the batteries die. At least all Im replacing is the blades, but I get full power all the time.
Just my thoughts.

That is a problem as with electric toothbrushes. You can probably
change their batteries if you have a degree in electrical engineering.

I don't know about the Norelco but my Oral B toothbrush recommends
running to full discharge every year or so to help with battery lifetime.
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On 10/24/19 2:13 PM, A K wrote:
[...]

Sorry dude, but you overlook some things. My method is much quicker and cleaner than the blade method.

And I get no cuts which can not be said for the blade method.

Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 12:24:15 PM UTC-5, Steve Wolf wrote:
Not sure about razors but I gave up on battery razors and went to plug in the wall type. You have to replace them every couple of years as the batteries die. At least all Im replacing is the blades, but I get full power all the time.
Just my thoughts.

Mine is the plug in. I went back to it when I realized the battery models lacked their power.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/19 2:13 PM, A K wrote:
[...]

Last time I cut myself with a blade was several years ago. If I
shave every day my PhiliShave rotary does the job quite well - and
quickly with no fuss. If I leave the stubble grow for a few days I
need the scythe!! I shave in the shower - using shampoo/body wash
-and a 4 blade Quatro shaver.About the 5th shave it starts to pull and
I change blades - only cut myself with DULL razors - - -
My Phili can be used wet or dry -I use it dry but wash it out under
the tap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 13:54:20 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 12:24:15 PM UTC-5, Steve Wolf wrote:
Not sure about razors but I gave up on battery razors and went to plug in the wall type. You have to replace them every couple of years as the batteries die. At least all Im replacing is the blades, but I get full power all the time.
Just my thoughts.

Mine is the plug in. I went back to it when I realized the battery models lacked their power.

Andy

Mine is a Lithium cordless - just as powerful as my old corded one as
long as I recharge it every 2 weeks or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

wrote:

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 12:24:15 PM UTC-5, Steve Wolf wrote:
Not sure about razors but I gave up on battery razors and went to plug in the wall type. You have to replace them every couple of years as the batteries die. At least all Im replacing is the blades, but I get full power all the time.
Just my thoughts.

Mine is the plug in. I went back to it when I realized the battery models lacked their power.

Andy

Mine is a Lithium cordless - just as powerful as my old corded one as
long as I recharge it every 2 weeks or so.

That's good you can go 2 weeks between charging. When I had a cordless razor, it had to be charged about every 4 days.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On 10/24/19 2:13 PM, A K wrote:
[...]

I meant that I get those "pin size bleeds", not actual cuts. When they start occuring, I get a new razor.

I generally get about 8 shaves.

Another think I noticed when shaving wet with the rotary shaver was that I did not have to keep going multiple over the same area in different directions.

I used a foil shaver many years ago, but quickly stopped using it because it "jerked" out your hairs when the foil failed. :-(

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 12:24:15 PM UTC-5, Steve Wolf wrote:
Not sure about razors but I gave up on battery razors and went to plug in the wall type. You have to replace them every couple of years as the batteries die. At least all Im replacing is the blades, but I get full power all the time.
Just my thoughts.

Mine is the plug in. I went back to it when I realized the battery models lacked their power.

Andy

Mine is a Lithium cordless - just as powerful as my old corded one as
long as I recharge it every 2 weeks or so.

That's good you can go 2 weeks between charging. When I had a cordless razor, it had to be charged about every 4 days.

Andy

Even my old Nicad powered unit was good for 10 days or more when new
- but deteriorated over time. The lithium unit is well over 5 years
old and still going strong