Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OTish What kind of electric razor is best?

What kind of electric razor is best?
How often do you change the blades?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/01/2015 07:36 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
What kind of electric razor is best?
How often do you change the blades?

I have had three Norelcos in the past 30 years or so.

I've never replaced or sharpened the blades.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 7:49:53 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 04/01/2015 07:36 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
What kind of electric razor is best?
How often do you change the blades?

I have had three Norelcos in the past 30 years or so.

I've never replaced or sharpened the blades.

I agree, and the better models are made in the Holland, I believe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 20:36:55 -0400, Seymore4Head
wrote:

What kind of electric razor is best?
How often do you change the blades?

I've been partial to the Philips style rotaries for about 45 years.
Blades last me about 5 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 19:49:49 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/01/2015 07:36 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
What kind of electric razor is best?
How often do you change the blades?

I have had three Norelcos in the past 30 years or so.

I've never replaced or sharpened the blades.

Norelco in the US, Philips in Canada - same machine. I'm on razor #5?
replaced blades perhaps 2 or 3 times - about 45 years of shaving.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What kind of electric razor is best?
How often do you change the blades?

Some eletric razors will grind up your whiskers and paste them in your
pores, making pimples, especially if you're young.

I got rid of my pimples by growing a beard when I was 18 or 19. I
actually thought it would make things worse, because it would be harder
to watch my face, but I've concluded a) the grease was removed from my
face by going down the whiskers, b) the whiskers were not choopped and
forced into my pores. I should have grown it earlier like when I was
14. I had a Ronson, which had a very thin screen and an oscillating
set of half-circle blades in parallel.

Since then I've used a razor with double-edged blades. Hard to get
blades made in US now, and the ones they sell are expensive and covered
in platinum and I think that's some sort of con, so I bougtht blades on
ebay made in Turkey. I don't use soap because it's hard to know where
to shave with soap. New blades are so sharp it's hard to avoid cutting
myself, but old blades are bad too becaue they get dull. Maybe I have
a tough beard. . The most important thing is that the razor itself
weigh as little as possible. An all plastic razor is best, becaues it's
light. I bought 10 of them for 10 cents apiece, on Canal St. in NYC.
If I'd known how good hey were I'd have bought 100. Most of the 10
have broken or gotten lost. I think I ony have one.

The all metal razor my father used to use is the worst, because it
weighs a lot.

They sell razors just like it for medical offices, but the whole thing
is considered disposeable and from looking at the webpage, there doesn't
seem to be a way to change the blades.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What kind of electric razor is best?
How often do you change the blades?

I personally hate electric razors. They pinch skin, pull hair and
generally hurt. I have tried many over the years and never liked any of
them. Plus they are much slower than a razor with a blade.

I have used an old adjustable double edge razor most of my life, and it
works the best, and the blades are cheap too. I've tried those
disposible razors too, and they work, but they get dull real fast, and
they are an environmental polluter. I get about five times the amount
of shaves out of one double edge blade than I get from those disposible
razors.

Sure, on a rare occasion I do get a shaving cut, but one cut is far less
painful than constantly being pinched by an electric razor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 5:07:38 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I personally hate electric razors. They pinch skin, pull hair and
generally hurt. I have tried many over the years and never liked any of
them. Plus they are much slower than a razor with a blade.

I used blades most of my life, and the experiences with electrics weren't very good. Whenever I used/tried someones electric...it would irritate my face and neck. I read where your face needs to get used to the razor...not unlike when you 1st use a blade. Time wise...I don't see much difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2015 8:36 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
What kind of electric razor is best? How often do you change the
blades?

My experience from 50 yrs+ of electric shaving:

Foil (non-rotary) head razor - shaves closer than rotary head razors but
tend to cause more skin irritation unless you use a silicon based facial
lubricant (such as "L'ectric Shave) before each shave. That's
especially important in warm weather months when your skin is more
likely to be a little damp. If you don't shave for a few days, the
longer beard length makes the shave uncomfortable and somewhat tedious.
The foil wears through from abrasion by the vibrating blade underneath
after a few years of use and the enlarged holes produce skin nicks
requiring replacement of the foil. The blade usually is dull by then
and it's best to replace both the blade and the foil at the same time.

Rotary head razor - not quite as close a shave as foil, but the more
expensive rotary heads shave closer than the cheaper rotary heads. You
can get a very adequate shave with a good quality rotary head (unless
your beard is black and a visible "shadow" is likely to persist) but it
might take an extra 20-30 seconds compared to using a foil head. Much
less likely to cause skin irritation when the skin is slightly damp. I
still use a silicon skin lubricant when I have to shave with damp skin
but never need to use it otherwise. The blades are self-sharpening and
don't require replacement unless you've dropped the razor and dented the
head/blade assembly. I've never had a rotary head wear through, even
after 15+ years of daily use.

My beard is very light in color so I've used a rotary razor exclusively
for the past 15+ years.

In summary - If you have tough skin and a dark beard, you may be more
satisfied with a foil razor. If you have normal to sensitive skin and a
medium to light colored beard, you may be more satisfied with a rotary
razor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 7:38:25 PM UTC-5, Seymore4Head wrote:
What kind of electric razor is best?
How often do you change the blades?

Something you may or may not know...rotary shaver's cutter/cup are honed together and shouldn't be mixed with the other two. RTFM!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What kind of electric razor is best?
How often do you change the blades?

Listen to all the geeks.
I use a straight razor.
Never change the blades.

[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What kind of electric razor is best?
How often do you change the blades?

Years ago I used a rotary Norelco for several years. Then I bought a
Remington foil shaver. It was the difference between night and day.
Much better shave and much faster. I have tried a couple different
brands of foil shavers over the years and none have been as good as
the Remington. Most recently, which is about the past 10+ years I've
been using what is now a discontinued model Remington that uses ms-69
(I think that's the part number) blade and foil. They last about a
year and for $20 I buy a new set. I have been using rechargeable and
have worn out the shavers (after several years) before ever having a
battery go bad. They recharged in 15 minutes and lasted a week between
charges. Fry's electronics used to sell the whole rechargeable shaver
for $25 on sale, sometimes even less. The current models do not seem
as good to me, they don't have an always on long hair trimmer that
also has two popup positions like the old ones did and have a newer
"head" that seems even smaller. One thing I have noticed over the
years is that the surface area of the head keeps shrinking. The
surface area of the first Remington I had was probably 10x as much as
their current similarly priced models.

In any case, if I was shopping for a new shaver I would look first to
remington models before looking at others. And I would stick with the
cutter/foil style rather then rotary. Back when I used rotary it
caught and pulled the whiskers a lot and never shaved as close as the
foil style.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Seymore4Head wrote in
:

What kind of electric razor is best?
How often do you change the blades?

I've about given up. Some 50 - 60 years ago I had great luck with Norelco.
But the last ten or fifteen years I can't find a good electric. Norelco,
Remington, you name it. The just don't shave well.

No luck with cheap disposable reazors. I've currently been using my
father's Rolls Razor but am ready to give up, can't get a close smooth
shave - tried honing it several times and very frequent stropping and
various soaps, even soapless oil for shaving.

The one razor that works for me is the Hydro 5 but the blades are quite
expensive, sigh Either that or grow a beard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are really only two types nowadays: Foil head and rotary head.

For what it's worth, the Norelco "rotary" type razor only has a fraction of the shaving area that a foil type razor has. That's why I stopped using it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

****ty blades will cut you every time - good sharp blades are best if
you are using a "safety razor" Dull blades are terrible.

I have a tough beard. I tried a foil razor and all it did was give me
razor burn. I went back to the safety razor untill I tried the philips
"rotary mower". First one was a twin-headed corded model. Then I had a
tripple head corded, and have had tripple headed cordless ever since.
I bought ONE Remington rotary -basically a clone of the Philips
Norelco, and it was NOT a good razor.- It worked well when it worked,
but didn't work long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Then I had a
tripple head corded, and have had tripple headed cordless ever since.
I bought ONE Remington rotary -basically a clone of the Philips
Norelco, and it was NOT a good razor.- It worked well when it worked,
but didn't work long.

I agree...had one Remington rotary clone...awful in every way!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Apr 2015 16:22:53 -0400, wrote:

They sell razors just like it

By "it" I meant the lightweight all plastic razors that I like

for medical offices, but the whole thing
is considered disposeable and from looking at the webpage, there doesn't

If I had no good razor at all, I might buy a box of these disposeable
one, but I still have a couple that accepts replacement blades. They
used one to shave a small part of my body to attach electrodes or
something. Years ago they shaved one whole shoulder before surgery.
It's amazing how it grows back at the same length as it was.

seem to be a way to change the blades.

****ty blades will cut you every time - good sharp blades are best if
you are using a "safety razor" Dull blades are terrible.

I havent' noticed a difference, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
I bought 200 Turkish blades, but that was to prepare for the future.
Now I have a full beard and don't even shave my neck very often.

I have a tough beard. I tried a foil razor and all it did was give me
razor burn. I went back to the safety razor untill I tried the philips
"rotary mower". First one was a twin-headed corded model. Then I had a
tripple head corded, and have had tripple headed cordless ever since.
I bought ONE Remington rotary -basically a clone of the Philips
Norelco, and it was NOT a good razor.- It worked well when it worked,
but didn't work long.

There are two basic styles to electric razors, like scissors or like a
scythe. Norelco are more like scissors, because both the spinning
blade and the head that keeps the blade from touching the skin are
sharpened.
The Ronson and Sunbeam of 40 years ago (not sure about
today) are more like scythes. There's still a screen, because if there
weren't, the blade would stay still and the rest of the razor would
oscillate, and the screen is probably sharp, because they make it as
thin as possible**. But I dont think the sharpness of the screen is
involved in cutting the whiskers. Rather it's the blade swinging by
that cuts off the whiskers. And I think it's this action that pushes
little pieces of hair into the pores. Not the scissors action of a
Norelco-style.

(BTW Norelco was North American Electic Company iirc.)

**The Ronson screen was so thin that if one failed to use a light touch
on the razor, if he pushed the razor against the skin, the skin would
push through the holes and get chopped off by the moving blade. An
area as big as a square inch, made up of dots of blood, sort of like the
way the newspaper funny papers are printed, one dot for each hole in the
screen. I cut myself 2 or 3 times when I first got the razor. After
that I don't think I did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Just recalled a story about my new razor

Many years ago, after I got my new razor...the first time I shaved
my wife touched my face, grinned and then said "Handsome boy!"

So what. For the previous six years, there was hardly a day I had not
heard my wife say, "Handsome boy!"

One significant difference though.

That was the first time she was talking to me...and not the cat!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/03/2015 10:41 AM, Neill Massello wrote:
philo wrote:

That was the first time she was talking to me...and not the cat!

Who shaves the cat?

LOL

Use my cats for making sure no mice get in here alive.

Not likely I'd survive too well if I tried to shave one.

Anyway, when it comes to being good looking, even if I shave, the cat is
still better looking than I am.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2015 11:41 AM, Neill Massello wrote:
philo wrote:

That was the first time she was talking to me...and not the cat!

Who shaves the cat?

Wax job is for the pussy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 14:23:02 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Who shaves the cat?

Wax job is for the pussy.

I bet you could still shave a pussy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/03/2015 01:55 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 14:23:02 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Who shaves the cat?

Wax job is for the pussy.

I bet you could still shave a pussy.

I'm kind of a klutz, probably just get it all screwed up
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 15:00:29 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/03/2015 01:55 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 14:23:02 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Who shaves the cat?

Wax job is for the pussy.

I bet you could still shave a pussy.

I'm kind of a klutz, probably just get it all screwed up

You have to get past half-time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 09:41:46 -0600, (Neill Massello)
wrote:

philo wrote:

That was the first time she was talking to me...and not the cat!

Who shaves the cat?

You were supposed to say "Who shaves the Pussy"!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 8:38:25 PM UTC-4, Seymore4Head wrote:
What kind of electric razor is best?
How often do you change the blades?

I have tried most razors and I have found that the Braun cold comfort is the best, especially if (as seems likely if you need to post this query) you are new at shaving. The only slight downside is that while the shaver battery lasts 7-10 days, it doesn't hold enough power to power the cooling 'pad' for more than 3-4 days. Which may not matter if you can put the unit in that massive charger base unit every day. But that charger unit is so huge because it actually solves a problem which either doesnt exist (the need to sterilise the razor after use) OR it only exists if you happen to live in a leper colony where residents share their shavers.

If you dont want to pay for the Braun Cooltec, Panasonic has a model which can do as good a job for about $25 but the motor moves MUCH slower so a shave can seem to take an age to complete! And you may need to spend 10 seconds going over the shave with a blade to make sure you got rid of all the longer hairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Every face is different.

On my face, triple headers give a closer shave, foil types give a more comfortable shave. I never found one that did both.

YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

One more thing which I have been aware of since my dad used a new Sunbeam in the 1950s. They recommended oil for the blades every few months. When he bought a new one with a dizzy three blades in it as opposed to one, this recommendation was dropped and I didnt see it again till I read the instructions in the Cooltec.

So I tried it with all my old lousy-performing electric shavers.

SUDDENLY, THEY ALL STARTED PERFORMING AMAZINGLY!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo posted for all of us...

On 04/01/2015 07:36 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
What kind of electric razor is best?
How often do you change the blades?

I have had three Norelcos in the past 30 years or so.

I've never replaced or sharpened the blades.

+1 Ditto

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*