Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OTish What kind of electric razor is best?

On Thu, 02 Apr 2015 16:22:53 -0400, wrote:

They sell razors just like it

By "it" I meant the lightweight all plastic razors that I like

for medical offices, but the whole thing
is considered disposeable and from looking at the webpage, there doesn't

If I had no good razor at all, I might buy a box of these disposeable
one, but I still have a couple that accepts replacement blades. They
used one to shave a small part of my body to attach electrodes or
something. Years ago they shaved one whole shoulder before surgery.
It's amazing how it grows back at the same length as it was.

seem to be a way to change the blades.

****ty blades will cut you every time - good sharp blades are best if
you are using a "safety razor" Dull blades are terrible.

I havent' noticed a difference, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
I bought 200 Turkish blades, but that was to prepare for the future.
Now I have a full beard and don't even shave my neck very often.

I have a tough beard. I tried a foil razor and all it did was give me
razor burn. I went back to the safety razor untill I tried the philips
"rotary mower". First one was a twin-headed corded model. Then I had a
tripple head corded, and have had tripple headed cordless ever since.
I bought ONE Remington rotary -basically a clone of the Philips
Norelco, and it was NOT a good razor.- It worked well when it worked,
but didn't work long.

There are two basic styles to electric razors, like scissors or like a
scythe. Norelco are more like scissors, because both the spinning
blade and the head that keeps the blade from touching the skin are
sharpened.
The Ronson and Sunbeam of 40 years ago (not sure about
today) are more like scythes. There's still a screen, because if there
weren't, the blade would stay still and the rest of the razor would
oscillate, and the screen is probably sharp, because they make it as
thin as possible**. But I dont think the sharpness of the screen is
involved in cutting the whiskers. Rather it's the blade swinging by
that cuts off the whiskers. And I think it's this action that pushes
little pieces of hair into the pores. Not the scissors action of a
Norelco-style.

(BTW Norelco was North American Electic Company iirc.)

**The Ronson screen was so thin that if one failed to use a light touch
on the razor, if he pushed the razor against the skin, the skin would
push through the holes and get chopped off by the moving blade. An
area as big as a square inch, made up of dots of blood, sort of like the
way the newspaper funny papers are printed, one dot for each hole in the
screen. I cut myself 2 or 3 times when I first got the razor. After
that I don't think I did.