Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default OTish What kind of electric razor is best?

On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 20:36:55 -0400, Seymore4Head
wrote:

What kind of electric razor is best?
How often do you change the blades?

Years ago I used a rotary Norelco for several years. Then I bought a
Remington foil shaver. It was the difference between night and day.
Much better shave and much faster. I have tried a couple different
brands of foil shavers over the years and none have been as good as
the Remington. Most recently, which is about the past 10+ years I've
been using what is now a discontinued model Remington that uses ms-69
(I think that's the part number) blade and foil. They last about a
year and for $20 I buy a new set. I have been using rechargeable and
have worn out the shavers (after several years) before ever having a
battery go bad. They recharged in 15 minutes and lasted a week between
charges. Fry's electronics used to sell the whole rechargeable shaver
for $25 on sale, sometimes even less. The current models do not seem
as good to me, they don't have an always on long hair trimmer that
also has two popup positions like the old ones did and have a newer
"head" that seems even smaller. One thing I have noticed over the
years is that the surface area of the head keeps shrinking. The
surface area of the first Remington I had was probably 10x as much as
their current similarly priced models.

In any case, if I was shopping for a new shaver I would look first to
remington models before looking at others. And I would stick with the
cutter/foil style rather then rotary. Back when I used rotary it
caught and pulled the whiskers a lot and never shaved as close as the
foil style.