Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default McMaster just gets better and better

So just now I'm cruising McMaster's website for some hardware.
I clicked down their easy, intuitive user interface to the part I wanted.
Glanced to the left of the screen and see the link to a 'technical drawing'.
Clicked on that and just as I'm preparing to do a screen capture, I see above
the drawing number a link to 'download'. Oh Really?

Clicked the link and several seconds later I'm looking at a solid model of the
part in my CAD program.

I have no connection to McMaster and this may be old hat to you all, but I'm happily
impressed!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

So just now I'm cruising McMaster's website for some hardware.
I clicked down their easy, intuitive user interface to the part I
wanted.

I have no connection to McMaster

Me either. And it annoys me that, at least in Internet Explorer,
trying to use the back button is usually futile.

The technical capabilities of their website are impressive and being
able to get back to where you were probably isn't as important, but it
sure would be nice to be able to use the Back button and use the
History folder.

and this may be old hat to you all, but I'm happily impressed!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:

The technical capabilities of their website are impressive and being
able to get back to where you were probably isn't as important, but it
sure would be nice to be able to use the Back button and use the
History folder.

Most browsers have a drop down to side of each front back button. Try
selecting the drop down and select a point in the past.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

John Doe wrote:

The technical capabilities of their website are impressive and
being able to get back to where you were probably isn't as
important, but it sure would be nice to be able to use the Back
button and use the History folder.

Most browsers have a drop down to side of each front back button.
Try selecting the drop down and select a point in the past.

Wes

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've been browsing
the Internet a long long time. It has something to do with their
server.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I wrote:

It has something to do with their server.

To be precise. I probably should say it has something to do with
either their server or the way their server interacts with Internet
Explorer 6.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:

I wrote:

It has something to do with their server.

To be precise. I probably should say it has something to do with
either their server or the way their server interacts with Internet
Explorer 6.

I'm a Seamonkey and Firefox man depending on what I'm doing.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 28, 12:31*am, John Doe wrote:
Me either. And it annoys me that, at least in Internet Explorer,
trying to use the back button is usually futile.

The technical capabilities of their website are impressive and being
able to get back to where you were probably isn't as important, but it
sure would be nice to be able to use the Back button and use the
History folder.

If you look at the url bar in your browser, you'll notice that it
never changes. Always just www.mcmaster.com.

I think their site is run on Java (although I don't actually know
cause I'm too lazy to look at the source ;-)) Anyway, I'd be fairly
happy the back button works at all.

As someone who is trying to create a site along the same lines (though
not to such depth or complexity), designing a site where people can
find what they want among some 450,000+ products is not trivial. At
such a level, there will inevitably be issues...

Of course, my back button worked on their site just now ;-)

Regards,

Robin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Me either. And it annoys me that, at least in Internet Explorer,
trying to use the back button is usually futile.

The technical capabilities of their website are impressive and being
able to get back to where you were probably isn't as important, but it
sure would be nice to be able to use the Back button and use the
History folder.

They have by far the best catalog lookup site I've ever seen. I think
they use frames, and you just have to be sure which frame is active
before you click "back". If you type in the search box or click a
search result, that left frame is active, not the right frame that
displays catalog pages. Just click somewhere in the catalog frame to
select it, then use back. The history pulldown may show 10 seemingly
identical "mcmaster carr" entries, but they do work for me.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 05:07:34 GMT, Winston wrote:

So just now I'm cruising McMaster's website for some hardware.
I clicked down their easy, intuitive user interface to the part I wanted.
Glanced to the left of the screen and see the link to a 'technical drawing'.
Clicked on that and just as I'm preparing to do a screen capture, I see above
the drawing number a link to 'download'. Oh Really?

Clicked the link and several seconds later I'm looking at a solid model of the
part in my CAD program.

I have no connection to McMaster and this may be old hat to you all, but I'm happily
impressed!

--Winston

Too bad that they do not sell to Canada any more. Too much trouble with
customs they say.

--

Boris Mohar