Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Better electric razor

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 25 Oct 2019 02:56:37 -0700, T
wrote:

On 10/24/19 10:14 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 24 Oct 2019 22:07:39 -0700 (PDT),
RosemontCrest wrote:

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 5:56:33 PM UTC-7, T wrote:
On 10/24/19 2:13 PM, A K wrote:
I currently use a Norelco 6424 rotary shaver.

It does a poor job of shaving, taking multiple passes and it also pulls hairs even with new blades.

Any recommendations on something better?

Preferably one whose blade replacements do not cost almost as much as a new razor.

Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy,

You do realize that electric razors, also know as electric
hair pullers or electric face massagers, are our Wives'
revenge for buying them that $4.00 bottle of perfume
from WalMart?

Never met one that actually worked.

:'(

-T

What is an electric *razor*?

A razor that is electric. Have you never seen one?

They either pull your hair out or the gently message
your face

The Ronson razor didnt' pull your hair out and it would cut so closely
you had to be careful not to push it against your face, or, despite how
small the holes were (substantially less than a mm.) you would push your
skin into the holes and the blades would cut off a little bit. Blood
would not gush, but it woould seep out from a bunch of places with the
same pattern as the holes.

I first tried my cousin's razor, and after I made the mistake of pushing
it againt my skin once, at most twice, I got a very close shave from it.
But I think it encouraged pimples. I think it ground up the whiskers**
and pushed them into my pores. It's surprising I didn't get more
pimples than I did. Now that I'm older and don't get pimples anymore,
I wonder if it would be perfect. But they don't make it anymore.

**When you cleaned the razor you could see the whisker dust inside it.
Smaller than ground pepper.

There was another brand that worked the same way but I don't know if the
blades were interchangeable, and later they certainly weren't. . I
replaced the blade once after about 5 years, and 5 years seems about
right. The blade wasn't that expensive.

But I don't think they make that successor anymore now. There are
mostly rotary razors for sale, which have stiff screens, so thick they
coudn't be bent without permanently bending them, and were famous in the
60's for not shaving closely. The Ronson screen otoh was almost as
thin and flexible as a Time magazine cover. Thinner than a Life magazine
cover. It was replaceable too and came flat but had to be bent to go
into its holder, and if you were really careless and bent it the wrong
way too much, you could crease it and ruin it.

Aha, the Braun is something like the Ronson, and is called a "foil
shaver". That refers to the very thin screen.