Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

Default What does chlorine do to a septic system?

The wife loves to dump tons of chlorine in the toilet bowls (don't ask why,
she just does).

I'm curious how that can possibly be good for the septic system, given
chlorine works best in the dark and given that even a small amount goes
pretty far.

I guess the good thing is that it only goes so far, where the biomass load
may overwhelm the chlorine.

Does anyone have real world data that tells us how much effect, say, a
gallon of supermarket chlorine (12% by volume, I think, or maybe by weight,
or maybe 6%, I don't remember) does to a typical septic system?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 4 Sep 2019 19:20:33 -0000 (UTC), "Arlen G.
Holder" wrote:

The wife loves to dump tons of chlorine in the toilet bowls (don't ask why,
she just does).

It's a good pasttime. Much like playing chess.

I'm curious how that can possibly be good for the septic system, given
chlorine works best in the dark and given that even a small amount goes
pretty far.

I guess the good thing is that it only goes so far, where the biomass load
may overwhelm the chlorine.

Does anyone have real world data that tells us how much effect, say, a
gallon of supermarket chlorine (12% by volume, I think, or maybe by weight,
or maybe 6%, I don't remember) does to a typical septic system?

What does your grass look like near the finger system?

Ask the septic tank cleaner next time he comes if he saw anything, or if
he knows anything about this. Better yet, call the company now and ask
them. They won't charge extra if you make this admission, will they?
Maybe call from a pay phone so they won't know it's you.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On 9/4/2019 12:20 PM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
The wife loves to dump tons of chlorine in the toilet bowls (don't ask why,
she just does).

I'm curious how that can possibly be good for the septic system, given
chlorine works best in the dark and given that even a small amount goes
pretty far.

I guess the good thing is that it only goes so far, where the biomass load
may overwhelm the chlorine.

Does anyone have real world data that tells us how much effect, say, a
gallon of supermarket chlorine (12% by volume, I think, or maybe by weight,
or maybe 6%, I don't remember) does to a typical septic system?

Ever hear of "google"?

https://www.google.com/search?client...rine+in+septic
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Wed, 04 Sep 2019 16:20:18 -0400, micky wrote:

What does your grass look like near the finger system?

This is California where there is no rain for 10 months of the year, and
then the monsoon season for the other two months - hence - the grass is
green in winter everywhere - and brown in summer - everywhere - septic or
no septic.

Besides, how DEEP is the septic system anyway?

They're all on hills so they flow downward but aren't they too deep to
affect the grass anyway?

Ask the septic tank cleaner next time he comes if he saw anything, or if
he knows anything about this. Better yet, call the company now and ask
them. They won't charge extra if you make this admission, will they?
Maybe call from a pay phone so they won't know it's you.

I've been here for over two decades and never once needed the septic system
pumped out so I don't have a 'septic cleaner' guy.

Besides, with all the septic systems on steep hills, I can't imagine them
ever "overflowing" to the point that they could possibly reach the surface.

How deep are they anyway?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 13:50:02 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Ever hear of "google"?

Who knew they purposefully chlorinate home septic systems!
https://inspectapedia.com/septic/Chlorine-in-Septic-Systems.php

Who knew chlorine is fine but drain cleaner is orders of magnitude worse!
https://www.houselogic.com/organize-maintain/home-maintenance-tips/caring-for-your-septic-system/
"One study found that it took nearly two gallons of liquid bleach but
only about a teaspoon of chemical drain cleaner to kill the beneficial
bacteria in a septic tank."

Who knew some septic systems discharge chlorine into surface water!
https://laundry-alternative.com/blogs/news/chlorine-tablets-for-septic

Moderate use of chlorine is apparently no problem.
https://advancedsepticservicesfl.com/chlorine-bleach-septic-systems/
"Moderate use is the amount used in one normal size load of laundry (3/4
cup) or the amount used in an application of toilet bowl cleaner."

Who knew they use calcium hypochlorite for treating septic systems:
https://www.vdwws.com/2014/01/septic-system-no-nos-using-pool-chlorine/
"They are very reactive and will kill 99% of the bacteria present in the
effluent within 10 minutes."
https://www.septicsolutions.com/septic-parts/septic-care-products/septic-chlorine-tablets

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On 9/4/2019 3:04 PM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
[...]

How do you know you never needed it? Aren't you at risk of a trashed
septic system if you don't have it checked once in a while?

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 4 Sep 2019 22:04:24 -0000 (UTC), "Arlen G.
Holder" wrote:

On Wed, 04 Sep 2019 16:20:18 -0400, micky wrote:

What does your grass look like near the finger system?

This is California where there is no rain for 10 months of the year, and
then the monsoon season for the other two months - hence - the grass is
green in winter everywhere - and brown in summer - everywhere - septic or
no septic.

Besides, how DEEP is the septic system anyway?

2 or 3 feet, I guessed.

They're all on hills so they flow downward but aren't they too deep to
affect the grass anyway?

Not in Indiana. In the hot days of summer, the grass is light green,
except over the finger system where it's darker green and taller. Can't
miss it. I think when I first got there, age 10, I wondered what it
was, and got it explained to me. It was a first for my mother too, and
I think it took her a few years to learn it was supposed to be cleaned.

My guess on the depth is based on how far I think the water would spread
out while getting closer to the surface, and how wide the green strips
are. They were about 15=18" wide ttbomr.

Ask the septic tank cleaner next time he comes if he saw anything, or if
he knows anything about this. Better yet, call the company now and ask
them. They won't charge extra if you make this admission, will they?
Maybe call from a pay phone so they won't know it's you.

I've been here for over two decades and never once needed the septic system
pumped out so I don't have a 'septic cleaner' guy.

Besides, with all the septic systems on steep hills, I can't imagine them
ever "overflowing" to the point that they could possibly reach the surface.

How deep are they anyway?

I think we only had ours cleaned once in the 8 years I lived there, or
maybe more but I was never home when he came. I guessed the top of the
tank was a foot below the surface. The previous owner violated some
rule and built the patio over it, with a 4' hole over the tank so that
when it was dug up for cleaning it didn't affect "the yard", just a
flower bed or whatever was planted there after he left.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 16:38:12 -0700, Bob F wrote:

How do you know you never needed it? Aren't you at risk of a trashed
septic system if you don't have it checked once in a while?

How am I supposed to know if there is no "problem" extant?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On 9/5/2019 10:57 AM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 16:38:12 -0700, Bob F wrote:

How do you know you never needed it? Aren't you at risk of a trashed
septic system if you don't have it checked once in a while?

How am I supposed to know if there is no "problem" extant?

I'm hoping we don't have a ****ty day. Our septic is being pumped this
afternoon. Been a few years and hopefully there will be no problems.

You do have to be careful who you hire around here as a couple of big
plumbing outfits are told to tell customers that they do have problems
when they don't.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On 9/5/2019 11:14 AM, Frank wrote:
On 9/5/2019 10:57 AM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 16:38:12 -0700, Bob F wrote:

How do you know you never needed it? Aren't you at risk of a trashed
septic system if you don't have it checked once in a while?

How am I supposed to know if there is no "problem" extant?

I'm hoping we don't have a ****ty day.Â* Our septic is being pumped this
afternoon.Â* Been a few years and hopefully there will be no problems.

You do have to be careful who you hire around here as a couple of big
plumbing outfits are told to tell customers that they do have problems
when they don't.

After clean out yesterday, my wife asked the pumper about additives and
he advised bakers yeast.

Looking this up this am I found this which makes a lot of sense and
answers your question about household cleaners:

http://www.nesc.wvu.edu/pdf/ww/septi...ves_sfqw02.pdf

Bacteria and yeast break down household waste and too much chemicals can
deactivate them. Part of my curiosity was needing a new well this year
where well is shocked with hypochlorite (bleach) to the point of not
being able to drink the water for a couple of days. Turns out my system
was fine and not overcome.

Yeast additive makes sense as it aids in breakdown of cellulose. You do
not have to add bacteria like in Rid-X as the toilet supplies plenty of
them.

Might also mention that a few years ago the pumper showed me a cake of
fatty material in the tank and advised use of liquid detergents in the
washer to help avoid this build up. We have been doing it since and
pumpers have not said anything about this since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 9:57:08 AM UTC-5, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 16:38:12 -0700, Bob F wrote:

How do you know you never needed it? Aren't you at risk of a trashed
septic system if you don't have it checked once in a while?

How am I supposed to know if there is no "problem" extant?

You have to check it periodically unless you just don't care if you
may suddenly need to call in a backhoe to replace your drainage field.
What do you check? You check the amount of sludge and the amount of
scum. If either of those layers are thicker than 1/3 of the fluid
level then you definitely need to have the tank pumped out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 10:45:35 -0700 (PDT), Davej
wrote:

On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 9:57:08 AM UTC-5, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 16:38:12 -0700, Bob F wrote:

How do you know you never needed it? Aren't you at risk of a trashed
septic system if you don't have it checked once in a while?

How am I supposed to know if there is no "problem" extant?

You have to check it periodically unless you just don't care if you
may suddenly need to call in a backhoe to replace your drainage field.
What do you check? You check the amount of sludge and the amount of
scum. If either of those layers are thicker than 1/3 of the fluid
level then you definitely need to have the tank pumped out.

I do know old rednecks who dig a big hole, scoop out the scum with a
shovel and bury it but I would not do that for $400.
I did hire a machine and replace my drain field myself tho. I used
chambers instead of perf pipe so they say I will die before my system
does. I did all of the backfill with a shovel but I didn't have the
same time pressure as I did to get the drains in. I had the tank
pumped to buy a few days tho. The way it turned out by the time the
tank was full, I was trying to get the grass going again. Backfill
goes faster than digging even for a 70+ year old guy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2019 1:45 PM, Davej wrote:
On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 9:57:08 AM UTC-5, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 16:38:12 -0700, Bob F wrote:

How do you know you never needed it? Aren't you at risk of a trashed
septic system if you don't have it checked once in a while?

How am I supposed to know if there is no "problem" extant?

You have to check it periodically unless you just don't care if you
may suddenly need to call in a backhoe to replace your drainage field.
What do you check? You check the amount of sludge and the amount of
scum. If either of those layers are thicker than 1/3 of the fluid
level then you definitely need to have the tank pumped out.

Had not heard such guidelines. Does sound sensible. As mentioned, mine
was pumped yesterday and solids level not mentioned but he told my wife
it was all liquid. I don't believe that. With just wife and I in the
house, I think we can wait five years. A neighbor in our situation told
my wife that they only had their tank pumped once in the forty or so
years they have lived there.

I had been more concerned about the status of the tank and would never
wait until a problem developed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2019 4:02 PM, Frank wrote:
On 9/6/2019 1:45 PM, Davej wrote:
On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 9:57:08 AM UTC-5, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 16:38:12 -0700, Bob F wrote:

How do you know you never needed it? Aren't you at risk of a trashed
septic system if you don't have it checked once in a while?

How am I supposed to know if there is no "problem" extant?

You have to check it periodically unless you just don't care if you
may suddenly need to call in a backhoe to replace your drainage field.
What do you check? You check the amount of sludge and the amount of
scum. If either of those layers are thicker than 1/3 of the fluid
level then you definitely need to have the tank pumped out.

Had not heard such guidelines. Does sound sensible.Â* As mentioned, mine was pumped yesterday and solids level not mentioned but he told my wife it was all liquid.Â* I don't believe that.Â* With just wife and I in the house, I think we can wait five
years.Â* A neighbor in our situation told my wife that they only had their tank pumped once in the forty or so years they have lived there.

I had been more concerned about the status of the tank and would never wait until a problem developed.

You're so right.Â* Having it pumped is just good preventative maintenance.Â* Wait too long between pump-outs and you'll be spending thousands repairing the system.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On 9/5/2019 7:57 AM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 16:38:12 -0700, Bob F wrote:

How do you know you never needed it? Aren't you at risk of a trashed
septic system if you don't have it checked once in a while?

How am I supposed to know if there is no "problem" extant?

You get the septic tank and system inspected once in a while. If you
just let it go forever, eventually, the tank will overflow, the drain
field will get plugged up, and big bucks will get spent. Admittedly, I
have never had a septic system myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On 9/6/2019 11:23 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 9/5/2019 7:57 AM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 16:38:12 -0700, Bob F wrote:

How do you know you never needed it? Aren't you at risk of a trashed
septic system if you don't have it checked once in a while?

How am I supposed to know if there is no "problem" extant?

You get the septic tank and system inspected once in a while. If you
just let it go forever, eventually, the tank will overflow, the drain
field will get plugged up, and big bucks will get spent. Admittedly, I
have never had a septic system myself.

There are also possible mechanical problems like concrete degrading.
Several years ago the pumper found a part that needed patching. I also
have 2 drain fields and the switch box was degrading and I needed to fix
it. People we know needed a whole new tank as old was collapsing.

I have neighbors with newer systems which need more service. Apparently
drainage rules have changed where perk is more restrictive and they had
to add chemical treatment filters for the grey water (the water from the
overflow tank). These need clean out and replacement now and then.
Another neighbor who has to pump grey water to leach field up hill and
has had electrical failure of the pump.

I have well and septic and figure over the years I have saved thousands
of dollars not paying for water and sewer. OTOH a failure in either can
cost thousands and I have had these. On balance I am far ahead but it
is tough to get a big expense when it happens unexpectedly.